Anyone in Melb have a wide neck Warwick 5 String?

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Paisley

Anyone in Melb have a wide neck Warwick 5 String?

Post by Paisley » 06 Nov 2017, 10:13

I'm hoping to try out a Warwick 5 String with the wide neck option. Mainly keen to see how the string spacing works for me.

Anyone in Melbourne have one that I could maybe have a play of for about 10 minutes?
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

cackland

Re: Anyone in Melb have a wide neck Warwick 5 String?

Post by cackland » 06 Nov 2017, 15:48

This could be an option

http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/stock?man=Warwick
Warwick - Streamer Stage 1
1999 Custom Shop SS1 5 string bass. Made in Germany.
MTD 535, Brubaker KXB Extreme 5, Lakland 5594, Sadowsky Metro MS5, Stingray 5, Yamaha TRB6P (For Sale), West Fretless 5, Fender RW J, NS WAV4
Bergantino B|Amp, Epifani UL502C,
Bergantino AE212, AE112

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 07 Nov 2017, 10:59

cackland wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 15:48
This could be an option

Thanks for the that mate. I've actually had a play of that Streamer when I was there last week; unfortunately it doesn't have the wide neck option. However I've had a member PM me offering to play his, so it's looks like I'm all good. :thumbup:

I've been using a recently acquired Warwick 4 String Fretless for the last few gigs, & really enjoy playing it; also since getting more familiar with the $$ setup, I'm loving the tones I can get out of it. I'd like to see how I go with a 5'er with the wide neck; Whereas the string spacing on my 4 String is something like 18 or 19mm, for some reason Warwick decided to cram the spacing on their standard 5 Strings down to 12mm!! The wide neck option is 20mm with a bit of play either side; currently my favorite 5'er to play is my Yamaha with a 19mm spacing, so I'm guessing I could get the wide neck Warwick to a similar playing field.
The other thing is; owing to being a CTS sufferer, some necks work for me & some don't; hence why trying one first is fairly crucial.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 16 Nov 2017, 10:34

Paisley wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:59
cackland wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 15:48
This could be an option

Thanks for the that mate. I've actually had a play of that Streamer when I was there last week; unfortunately it doesn't have the wide neck option.
Hi again; I stand corrected!! :red face They must have had another Warwick 5'er in at Swoppys at some point recently that I played; I was in there this week & saw this Bass - and although I couldn't actually measure the spacing, I'm 99% sure it is a Broadneck!
:thumbup:

OK, now that I've played it, I'm kind of in two minds. String spacing is perfect; felt much nicer than any other Warwick 5'ers I've played so far. However they weren't joking when they called it a Broadneck - this thing is broad alright, to the point where there's probably a good 10 mm of fretboard on either side of the outer strings; possibly even more! 8| I know there's scope to adjust the width of the strings a bit, but it makes for one hell of a lump of wood to navigate. :lol:

Strangely enough, I didn't strike any signs that my Carpel Tunnel Syndrome would pose an issue, which I was expecting it to on a neck that size. Granted I wouldn't know for sure until I actually gig with one, but it's given me enough incentive to look further into trying one on for size.
:hmm