Anyone in Melb have a wide neck Warwick 5 String?

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Paisley

Anyone in Melb have a wide neck Warwick 5 String?

Post by Paisley » 06 Nov 2017, 10:13

I'm hoping to try out a Warwick 5 String with the wide neck option. Mainly keen to see how the string spacing works for me.

Anyone in Melbourne have one that I could maybe have a play of for about 10 minutes?
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

cackland

Re: Anyone in Melb have a wide neck Warwick 5 String?

Post by cackland » 06 Nov 2017, 15:48

This could be an option

http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/stock?man=Warwick
Warwick - Streamer Stage 1
1999 Custom Shop SS1 5 string bass. Made in Germany.
Brubaker KXB Extreme 5, Lakland 5594, Sadowsky Metro MS5, Stingray 5, Yamaha TRB6P, West Fretless 5, Fender RW J, NS WAV4
Bergantino B|Amp, Epifani UL502C,
Bergantino AE212, AE112

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 07 Nov 2017, 10:59

cackland wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 15:48
This could be an option

Thanks for the that mate. I've actually had a play of that Streamer when I was there last week; unfortunately it doesn't have the wide neck option. However I've had a member PM me offering to play his, so it's looks like I'm all good. :thumbup:

I've been using a recently acquired Warwick 4 String Fretless for the last few gigs, & really enjoy playing it; also since getting more familiar with the $$ setup, I'm loving the tones I can get out of it. I'd like to see how I go with a 5'er with the wide neck; Whereas the string spacing on my 4 String is something like 18 or 19mm, for some reason Warwick decided to cram the spacing on their standard 5 Strings down to 12mm!! The wide neck option is 20mm with a bit of play either side; currently my favorite 5'er to play is my Yamaha with a 19mm spacing, so I'm guessing I could get the wide neck Warwick to a similar playing field.
The other thing is; owing to being a CTS sufferer, some necks work for me & some don't; hence why trying one first is fairly crucial.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 16 Nov 2017, 10:34

Paisley wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 10:59
cackland wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 15:48
This could be an option

Thanks for the that mate. I've actually had a play of that Streamer when I was there last week; unfortunately it doesn't have the wide neck option.
Hi again; I stand corrected!! :red face They must have had another Warwick 5'er in at Swoppys at some point recently that I played; I was in there this week & saw this Bass - and although I couldn't actually measure the spacing, I'm 99% sure it is a Broadneck!
:thumbup:

OK, now that I've played it, I'm kind of in two minds. String spacing is perfect; felt much nicer than any other Warwick 5'ers I've played so far. However they weren't joking when they called it a Broadneck - this thing is broad alright, to the point where there's probably a good 10 mm of fretboard on either side of the outer strings; possibly even more! 8| I know there's scope to adjust the width of the strings a bit, but it makes for one hell of a lump of wood to navigate. :lol:

Strangely enough, I didn't strike any signs that my Carpel Tunnel Syndrome would pose an issue, which I was expecting it to on a neck that size. Granted I wouldn't know for sure until I actually gig with one, but it's given me enough incentive to look further into trying one on for size.
:hmm