Show off your 6ers!

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
ozrider

Show off your 6ers!

Post by ozrider » 22 Oct 2017, 11:58

I've been curious about 6ers lately, could just be usual endless GAS :cry

Anyhoo, who's rocking the 6 string hereabouts?

I'd love to see some pics and get to know about why you bought a particular brand/make, build quality, playability, other issues that you didn't forsee etc.

:popcorn:

drbass

Re: Show off your 6ers!

Post by drbass » 22 Oct 2017, 12:10

Sure, George,

Here are two I built (as you know):

Since I made them I can only blame myself for any issue.

Haven't played other 6ers so no comparison possible but I personally think both are easy to play (although the neck width increases a lot more from 5 to 6 than it does from 4 to 5). Although both have the same electronics and basically the same timber types (northern ash and silky oak for the body, with ziricote and walnut contrast layer respectively, spalted maple top, wenge neck) they sound completely different (but let's not go there).

The multi scale was my main bass for a while but since I finished the Manta (the red one) hasn't seen much action. The fretless is used in my originals band and for a couple of songs in the new cover band (have played it in the blues band as well). Not sure I'm a 6er sort of guy but working on it.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 fanned, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, ME1/5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 22 Oct 2017, 17:02

Thanks Michael, Kermit sure is pretty. I imagine with your experience owning the fan-fret of the dingwal that your version is similar? Why do you think it is relegated with the arrival of manta?

drbass

Post by drbass » 22 Oct 2017, 18:01

ozrider wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 17:02
Thanks Michael, Kermit sure is pretty. I imagine with your experience owning the fan-fret of the dingwal that your version is similar? Why do you think it is relegated with the arrival of manta?
Hi George,

This probably comes across as arrogant but ultimately I sold the Dingwall because Kermit was pretty close and I thought I'd rather "invest" the money I could get selling the Z2 in a couple more demo builds. It doesn't quite sound like a Dingwall (despite using the same electronics - I believe that's simply because my building capabilities and precision execution are not on a Dingwall level) but then I preferred it from a playing point of view because the B string is only 36", and the C is 33" so just a tad shorter than a Canadian Dingwall.

Why the relegation? Well, as mentioned the jump from 4 to 5 strings is nowhere near as big as the one from 5 to 6. Here are "my" numbers:
my current Q has a neck that is basically a chunky 4-string neck:
width at zero fret: 44 mm, fret 12: 58 mm;
Manta: zero fret: 45 mm, fret 12: 61 mm;
Kermit: zero fret: 56 mm, fret 12: 73 mm (very similar values for both the multi scale and the fretless).

By no means would I call these two 6 string necks chunky or super-wide (I work on a 17 mm string spacing, generally) but it is a big difference.

And I have to tell you, the Manta neck turned out almost perfect, I really like the ergonomics of the whole thing and I just love the sound, for me it's a MM on steroids. Does what I want at the moment.

Kermit is a whole different beast, sounds growly but at the same time with so much definition it's not funny. Over the last couple of years I have come to appreciate different tones and their suitability for different genres, and Kermit doesn't quite fit in at the moment.

And maybe I'm just not a 6-string guy. Don't get me wrong, as mentioned above both my 6ers are very playable but just look at the numbers and you'll know why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I built the 6ers because I could, and I never had one. They're keepers but if you look at my posts in the Commercial section I'd be more than happy to give them to interested people for a week or two if they're interested in me building one.

Sorry, long post. There's a lot more to say but let's leave it at that.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 fanned, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, ME1/5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 22 Oct 2017, 21:39

This is my 6 string. Like Michael, I built my own. I couldn't afford a Dingwall or similar so I built this instead. It's also fanned fret, but medium scale, ie. 33" B to a 31" C string. Most of it was built from scrap/recycled timber; vic ash neck, silky oak top, mango back, kauri pine core. It's got Chinese hardware/electronics. It also has a trapezoidal neck profile (ala Rick Toone) and seven million neck screws (ala Jens Ritter). :lol:

All up it owed me $200 to put together.

It won bass of the week on Best Bass Gear too, so that was nice.

It's not getting a lot of action at the moment because although I play a few times a week, all of it seems to be guitar at the moment (don't lynch me). I'm in a blues band playing bass, but it kinda feels wrong for that gig. I do have enough parts for 2 more 6 string basses though. Both of them will be reasonably crazy; 1 fretless and another multiscale. So I might let this one go at some stage.

P.s. don't believe everything people tell you about shorter B strings. As long as the string is thick enough you'll be fine.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."

cleary

Post by cleary » 23 Oct 2017, 07:55

Hey George, I don't own a 6 but your big benefit is the extended range of notes - at any given position on the board, and overall.

Working out whether the extended range up or down is useful can be fudged to a degree with 4 or 5 string basses just by restringing with a high C or low B (the B is trickier cause the nut may need to be cut).

Side note: I was watching Anderson Paak with The Free Nationals npr tiny desk concert the other day, and turns out the bassist is rocking a 4 string P tuned B-D
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

tokyosandblaster

Post by tokyosandblaster » 23 Oct 2017, 11:44

Hey guys,
I read a lot of the goings on but never really post much on here, but wont miss the opportunity to show I'm representing the 6'ers!
I've been playing 6'ers for close to 10 years and did so after a long stint on 5'ers, but found myself wanting more. 6 string Basses- at the time- were a rarity at local music stores here in Canberra, so I had to just drop the cash and order, straight from Warwick, a BO Thumb 6. I did this without being able to try a 6'er before making a honest opinion on whether it was for me, and upon receiving it, I've considered 6'ers my preference over all my other basses.

I currently own-

Warwick BO Thumb 6
Warwick Corvette fretless 6 (bubinga body)
Fender Steve Bailey Jazz 6
Ibanez SR1206

I previously owned-

Ibanez SR506 (upgraded to the 1206)
Ibanez BTB676 (sold when I obtained a BTB7)
Spector Legend 6 (sold as Spector aint got nothing on Warwick) i'll get hate for saying that :lol:

I'll include pics when I work out how...

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 23 Oct 2017, 12:51

Here's mine:

Made by Phil Mailloux. Ash body with spalted maple top, rosewood fingerboard, Nordstrand big split pickups and Aguilar ob2 pre.

Super happy with this bass. It does take a bit of getting used to having the C string there - I've landed on the wrong string a few times lol! I don't tend to use the C string below the 5th fret as the tone can sound a bit thin relative to the other strings. I suspect that's something general to all 6 string basses though.
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 23 Oct 2017, 15:53

Hey... well... I am from Pennsylvania... so here are my Sixers :D
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 23 Oct 2017, 15:55

maxgroover wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:51
Here's mine:

Made by Phil Mailloux. Ash body with spalted maple top, rosewood fingerboard, Nordstrand big split pickups and Aguilar ob2 pre.

Super happy with this bass. It does take a bit of getting used to having the C string there - I've landed on the wrong string a few times lol! I don't tend to use the C string below the 5th fret as the tone can sound a bit thin relative to the other strings. I suspect that's something general to all 6 string basses though.
Actually... it's mine... just on loan to you ... remember?
:D
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 23 Oct 2017, 16:29

PilbaraBass wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 15:53

Hey... well... I am from Pennsylvania... so here are my Sixers :D

Woooo Iverson!
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Basses: LEJ 5/24
Head: Glockenklang Blue Soul/ Cab: Schroeder 1212
Combo: Hartke Kickback KB12

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 23 Oct 2017, 21:15

Thanks for all the comments guys, interesting info. I'm also interested in people's experiences with production basses.

sic608

Post by sic608 » 24 Oct 2017, 05:58

Hey mate.

I too have been using a 6 string for a few years. Honestly i dont use one exclusively but float between 4 5 and 6 regularly.

I have a warwick bubinga corvette 6 string
But i had mine strung E-F. Basically lost the B moved all the string up a slot and added the high F. It does stuff other basses cant

I love this bass! It has such aggressive edge but still has bottom end and tight midrange
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 24 Oct 2017, 08:21

PilbaraBass wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 15:55
maxgroover wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:51
Here's mine:

Actually... it's mine... just on loan to you ... remember?
:D
Well it's good to know i have a buyer if i ever decide to move it on. :D
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 24 Oct 2017, 14:33

^Matt,
I don't envision that you WOULD be moving it on... but, if the need arises... ;)