NBD! Well not yet - Just gotta wait a little longer...

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
FunkyJase

NBD! Well not yet - Just gotta wait a little longer...

Post by FunkyJase » 09 Oct 2017, 13:21

So the saga of my Frankenbass is long and peppered with a mixture of joy and pain.
With the amount of sh*t I've changed on this thing I could build a whole new bass!

But - I reckon it's nearly there. The body is a Duff McKagan Mexican P Bass, the neck is a fat AF Allparts Tele Bass neck. It's pretty chunky but I dig it and it has a Hipshot Kickass Bridge which I bought on impulse over my usual favorite A-Style and I'm impressed enough to keep it...

So here's the thing. I added an EMGX PJ Set. It's active and packs a punch but its not for me. It's for sale if you wanna have a look in the classifieds).

I have this fantasy that I'll one day find a PJ set of pickups where the bridge pickup actually has some impact on the tone! The EMG comes very close but just aint quite there so Aphekgreg has sent a set of his pickups and Im getting them installed with a whole bunch of bells and whistles to take it back to passive. 500k Pots, two of them push/pull to A) Bypass the tone cap for brightness and B) flick the pickups in and out of phase as well as a 3Pos Selector and treble bleed etc...

Honestly if this next caper doesn't blow my skirt up Im gonna sell it.

Just gotta get the rest of the parts and install everything so yeah... now we wait...

Fender CIJ 57RI P Bass, Warmoth Fretless PJ Bass, Bitsa Frankenbass PJ, Warwick $$ & 75' Fender Jazz Reissue.

Markbass LM Big Bang, GK MB500, Schroeder 1210pl, Eden EX112, Boss LMB-3, SGFX Beta, EMG GZR, Boss blah blah blah

FunkyJase

Re: NBD! Well not yet - Just gotta wait a little longer...

Post by FunkyJase » 19 Oct 2017, 10:03

Wiring done!

There's a 3 way switch, a push/pull tone pot with a .1uf Tone cap (the big black one) and a standard .047uf tone cap (select between dub dub and slap slap ;-) and a push/pull pot for series/parallel. There are caps for treble bleed as well (I use the vol knob a lot)

No idea if it'll work but cant wait to see how it sounds!

Fender CIJ 57RI P Bass, Warmoth Fretless PJ Bass, Bitsa Frankenbass PJ, Warwick $$ & 75' Fender Jazz Reissue.

Markbass LM Big Bang, GK MB500, Schroeder 1210pl, Eden EX112, Boss LMB-3, SGFX Beta, EMG GZR, Boss blah blah blah