NBD - Yamaha BB735A

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
bassmaniac69

NBD - Yamaha BB735A

Post by bassmaniac69 » 22 Sep 2017, 13:23

So after landing in Australia last month and after 3 weeks of courier issues and misadventure the bass finally arrived yesterday. This thing has done more miles across the country than Qantas... :lol:

So far:

The Good - well constructed and very solid, fretwork is fantastic and the neck join is the best I've seen on a Yammy for quite a while. I plugged it in for 2 minutes last night before I stripped the strings off (and gave it a setup) and the sound was bold and authoritative, a very modern P sound compared to my 82 Squire, which is that vintage style of P.

Solo bridge pickup has that required tone (that I never use on gigs!) and mixed together is is punchy and warm, which is exactly what I was looking for. First gig is tomorrow so it will get a run in a band situation then.

The painted neck is smooth and fast and easily accessible to most frets, it's not super chunky and the 18mm spacing is about right for the width of the neck. Sitting down with no strap the bass is slightly head stock heavy, but on a strap it's fine.

Bad - nothing major so far but the G machine head will need replacing under warranty (it sticks), I might swap out the machine heads to Hipshot down the track if I keep the bass for a while. The pickups were touching the strings and were almost loose in the pickup route and the paint has ripples in it on certain parts and in certain lights. All just quality control issues really. Yamaha Australia had not touched the bass at all, it still had the factory wrap on the strings etc. Which is not an issue as I was always going to start again but if a tech had looked at it here in Oz the issues * should * have been noticed.....

The bridge is an interesting beast, very solid and well made and the angled stringing works well from what I can see, but time will tell.. The B string has a different saddle than the rest of the strings, I'm not sure if that is on purpose but I will find out (see pic).

Oh, and it's heavy at 4.6kg.. yeah I know, man up but my Dingwall is 3.5kg. :lol:

ozrider

Re: NBD - Yamaha BB735A

Post by ozrider » 22 Sep 2017, 13:33

That's about the weight of my bb1025x, but I consider it light next to my SR5! Congrats on the new addition :thumbup:

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 22 Sep 2017, 15:59

Well, it's not the heaviest bass I have ever owned but it currently is - hopefully the tone makes up for it :)

brucebruce

Post by brucebruce » 22 Sep 2017, 16:51

Nice... Price (if you don't mind my asking)?
Super Hans: "Dude, that's not jam, that's just total f%#king marmalade."

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 22 Sep 2017, 16:58

Thanks mate, I know how much you like these! The bass is $1195 RRP I believe!

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 22 Sep 2017, 20:59

Did you buy this locally or from a foreign store? Also really like the flat black headstock.

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 23 Sep 2017, 11:22

Here in Australia, from South Coast Music in Nowra NSW (the store owner is a friend of mine).

And the flat black is cool, especially on the neck. They also do an all matte black bass as well which was not my cup of tea, this is more traditional so it will fit in the tribute bands I play in.

I managed to get it set up nicer overnight, it's a fine line between the action being a tad too high for me or buzzing, but I think I have found a compromise to give it a run tonight. The neck is quite chunkier than I am used to with the Dingwall but not too bad... although playing the Dingwall after the BB is like going from a Kia to a Ferrari... :)

I am also getting an earth hum occasionally although i do think it is the power in my house, we will see at tonights gig if it's the bass or not!

evilgus

Post by evilgus » 08 Oct 2017, 15:34

Just watched Peter Hook and his son, Jack, play the 4-string versions on stage, sounded fantastic! Must be the closest you can get to the old BB1200S, which Hooky played on most of the New Order albums.

EG

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 08 Oct 2017, 16:02

How are you going with this bass? How are you finding the OBP? Constantly tempted to go down the road of installing a preamp - expensive mod though and I swore I'd never mod again. I found this one below from Yamaha Guitar Development (their custom shop?).

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 08 Oct 2017, 21:35

So far, I'm really digging the sound of the bass, it's everything that I expected a PJ setup to be. I do notice a slight imbalance between the P and the J pickup but it's not enough to bother me, at this stage...

The hum issue is still there, I have had the go ahead to get the bass to a Yamaha repair agent to sort it out, along with the machine head. I won't be getting it to them until November as it's 40 minutes away and I have gigs all month. I have put some gaffa on the pickups to stop that humming so it's bearable and playable until they can sort it out.

The bass is heavy, and in isolation it's not too bad, but after being played for a bit the Dingwall feels like a feather compared to it. Also the Dingwall is just a nicer bass to play overall, which is to be expected given the neck shape, spacing, make etc.

But the Yammy has something about it and when combined with the sound the overall experience is great and it's a joy to play. I don't actually have to think too hard about playing it at all, which is all I can ask.

Is it a keeper? For the moment, yes. I did buy it with the intention of getting a PJ 5 string Dingwall if the sound was what I was after, which is still the plan but I'll put that on the back burner and give the Yammy a good chance :)

OZrider - sorry for my ignorance - what does OBP mean?? :)

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 09 Oct 2017, 01:29

Sorry, onboard preamp. I've played the PJ 4 string Dingwall, amazing bass. The Yamaha basses are a lot of fun though.

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 09 Oct 2017, 13:53

Ah, ok mate, should have guessed, lol! The preamp sounds great, however it's hard to assess due to the hum and earthing issues I have. I'll advise when I get it fixed.

On the Dingwall PJ, how did it compare to your Yamaha tone wise?

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 09 Oct 2017, 14:43

bassmaniac69 wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 13:53
Ah, ok mate, should have guessed, lol! The preamp sounds great, however it's hard to assess due to the hum and earthing issues I have. I'll advise when I get it fixed.

On the Dingwall PJ, how did it compare to your Yamaha tone wise?
Well, that's a good question. I didn't have them side by side. From recollection, I was amazed how punchy the Dingwall was for a passive bass at the time and how it sounded so full. I remember thinking how remarkable it was. Build quality obviously out of this world, but so was the price.

The BB1025x left me with a different perspective, a great bass, fun to play, nice organic tone and great bite from the rear ceramic J pickup. It doesn't sound anything like the 735A to me. I like the BB1025x a lot, just fun to play, love those P tones. However, lately I've really appreciated how the SR5 is so much more playable, how it works so well in the live mix.

In the end, both great basses, with the Dingwall a significant step up in quality obviously. So I'm sure you'll eventually go the Dingwall, as I will go the caprice from musicman if they move to building a fiver. Build quality really translates to player experience in my opinion as you have to use your hands, and its lovely to have nice woods/finishing/action and so on.