NBD Stingray adventures

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
irvinz

Re: NBD Stingray adventures

Post by irvinz » 20 Sep 2017, 22:56

hi greg, appreciate all your photos and processes. trying to figure out if its a fairytale ending.... does it weigh 4kgs or more?

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 20 Sep 2017, 22:57

Snoopygore71 wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 21:28
Great read again Greg, thanks for the details

Steve
Thanks. I was worried this one was too long. Thought I might have been a bit self indulgent going into my previous experience with Stingrays.
NotTheFish wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 22:07
Nobody does a NBD like you do Greg !.. Most of us go - I got a new bass - I like it - here is a pic. You do a full autopsy :yep
If only I could get paid to do these. That would be a fun job. I always pull them apart anyway, so might as well share my findings. Helps me remember too.
maxgroover wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 22:23
+1 on a great read but by crikey you are deep in the midst of a midlife crisis too!! :lol:
Hopefully not too deep..... Still it's probably one of the better ways to have one.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 20 Sep 2017, 23:02

irvinz wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 22:56
hi greg, appreciate all your photos and processes. trying to figure out if its a fairytale ending.... does it weigh 4kgs or more?
Good question. Would you believe I hadn't weighed it still. It's definitely light. Just got out the kitchen scales and it's a hair over 4kg. 4.05kg. Very nice weight for me.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 20 Sep 2017, 23:04

NotTheFish wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 22:07
Nobody does a NBD like you do Greg !.. Most of us go - I got a new bass - I like it - here is a pic. You do a full autopsy :yep
If only I could get paid to do these. That would be a fun job. I always pull them apart anyway, so might as well share my findings. Helps me remember too.

We have The Bass Whisperer.. You could be The Bass Autopsier. Ed does his Alien Autopsy bit but it doesn't go into this sort of depth. Now to find someone to pay you. Hmmm..

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 20 Sep 2017, 23:09

I discovered tonight that the saddles MM use on their 4 strings are bigger than they use on the 5s. When I had the 5, one of the intonation screws froze and snapped. I sent a photo to MM and they sent me 2 replacement saddles, so I've had a spare in my parts draw for over 10 years.

One of the saddle height screws on the E was split at the top on this one and the Allen key wouldn't grip. No problem I have a spare saddle from the same period. Had a bit of trouble getting the screw out, so though I'd just replace the whole saddle. No go. The 5 string saddle is narrower than the 4. I persevered and got the screw out and the new one in, so all good now, but I would have said they were the same saddle until tonight.
Greg

Juan Lauda

Post by Juan Lauda » 21 Sep 2017, 06:29

Fascinating write-up on a gorgeous bass. Thanks for taking the time to share it, Greg. Looking forward to seeing it at the GTG!
Tim
Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 21 Sep 2017, 14:29

aphekgreg wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 22:49
bigswifty wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 21:17
What a great read Greg, thank you for taking the trouble to document it all. If you can be bothered writing any more, I'd be grateful if you could document the exact products and processes you used on the back of the neck.
Mike
Hey Mike,

I looked at the care instructions on the Ernie Ball site when I first bought the Stingray5 all those years ago. They use Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Oil and Gun Stock wax. I did a search and found a place in Horsley Park, where I used to get it. They've gone now and I think I bought the last lot through ebay. [The Horsley Park Gun Shop used to send gun related political stuff whenever an election was coming up. No it didn't change the way I voted. :hellno: ]

If you're maintaining a MusicMan, there's not much too it. Clean off any marks like the ones on this one with some 00 steel wool, until you're happy. They usually clean up easily and you don't need to use much pressure to get it clean. I guess that's one advantage of this sort of finish. You then apply the oil. Instructions are on the bottle. I recommend using disposable gloves, as your hands get pretty tacky using it. They say to leave it for up to 24hr until it's dry. I didn't leave it that long last night.

You then apply the wax and buff it until it feels right.

Same basic process when I've bought unfinished necks from Warmoth and Allparts, except the neck shouldn't need the steel wool first. Warmoth do say you void the warranty by using an oil finish, but I've never had issues and like the way they feel.
Good stuff, thanks Greg!
M
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 21 Sep 2017, 14:51

aphekgreg wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 15:51
Like all MusicMan instruments, it was incredibly well made of quality parts, it was just never the sound I wanted. It was used on a couple of albums when a 5 was needed and always sound good, I just never loved it.
I'm hearing you on this one. I own an SR5 obviously. Yet it doesn't rock my boat quite like the P tones I get from the BB1025x that I also own, but it is such a well made bass, neck is incredible, action can get super low after a David Searle setup. Where I find that it shines is the live setting with a larger ensemble, where it just sits so well in the mix. I get no end of praise from band members for how the bass sounds. I have the mid 90s ceramic pickup so I can really make it punch/cut or roll of the treble for a nice R&B or reggae tone. So I consider the SR5 to be an excellent gigging tool, it's the right bass for busy sonic environment. That said, I'd love the option of a 5er in a Saber design, or the Caprice - Musicman do such great quality.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 21 Sep 2017, 16:12

ozrider wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 14:51

I'm hearing you on this one. I own an SR5 obviously. Yet it doesn't rock my boat quite like the P tones I get from the BB1025x that I also own, but it is such a well made bass, neck is incredible, action can get super low after a David Searle setup. Where I find that it shines is the live setting with a larger ensemble, where it just sits so well in the mix. I get no end of praise from band members for how the bass sounds. I have the mid 90s ceramic pickup so I can really make it punch/cut or roll of the treble for a nice R&B or reggae tone. So I consider the SR5 to be an excellent gigging tool, it's the right bass for busy sonic environment. That said, I'd love the option of a 5er in a Saber design, or the Caprice - Musicman do such great quality.
There are of course plenty of people who love their SR5s, so I don't want to be criticising them in general. Just sharing my experience with the one I owned. The perfect sound for one person, will often not work for someone else. I honestly hope that whoever bought my old one loves it.

I've always looked for an even tone across the strings, like you get on a good piano, where the pitch changes but the overall timbre of the note stays consistent. I don't want the low strings to be fat and dull and the high strings to be bright and twangy. For some people, fat round sounding low strings and bright treble strings is exactly what they want. It could be I just had one that wasn't as good as the others. I know Tony Levin has said that he owns quite a few SR5s, but that the apricot/pinky one he usually plays stands out as better than the others.

Despite what the zealots on the Ernie Ball forum will tell you, if you like the bass, you can always add a second pickup! :bat: These guys sell pickguards and have a HH version of the SR5 if that's what you want. http://pickguards.us/pricemusicman.html I was thinking of doing that with this one, although having discovered the extra plate, I might just rout that. I have some old plates around I can practice on first, as I've never tried it on plastic. Come to think of it, I have a extra plate from my old SR5 in storage, if you want that.

If I do add a second pickup, I'm thinking either a 3 way switch or even a blend pot for the pickups. Then a series/single/parallel switch on each pickup. I'll see how much I use the coil switch and possible add one to the Sabre bridge pickup too. It might just be too many sounds though. :?:
Last edited by aphekgreg on 21 Sep 2017, 16:20, edited 2 times in total.
Greg

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 21 Sep 2017, 16:18

I gave the TKL case a wipe down earlier and checked the pockets. It has 4 on the front, so i can easily imagine losing something in one of them. I discovered a small 5th pocket at the top on the back with this hook and chain. Never seen anything like this before. Could it be for hanging in a cupboard when you're on tour?

Greg

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 21 Sep 2017, 17:12

aphekgreg wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 16:12
There are of course plenty of people who love their SR5s, so I don't want to be criticising them in general. Just sharing my experience with the one I owned. The perfect sound for one person, will often not work for someone else. I honestly hope that whoever bought my old one loves it.

Sure, for me on its own seems to lack something, but it just works and puts a smile on my face when I play with others, so that's really the point for me, playing in context is when I feel I actually 'hear' a bass.

aphekgreg wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 16:12
Despite what the zealots on the Ernie Ball forum will tell you, if you like the bass, you can always add a second pickup! :bat: These guys sell pickguards and have a HH version of the SR5 if that's what you want. http://pickguards.us/pricemusicman.html I was thinking of doing that with this one, although having discovered the extra plate, I might just rout that. I have some old plates around I can practice on first, as I've never tried it on plastic. Come to think of it, I have a extra plate from my old SR5 in storage, if you want that
Thanks for the offer, I still have the black original pickguard, but I find the shape of the original pickguard totally annoying because of how it takes the skin of my fingers when I get into the slappity/poppity - hence the modified pickguard on my bass. I don't think I'm ever going to do major mods anymore, I always seem to end up selling basses that I have modded. The SR5 does what it does so well, I think I'm just getting greedy wanting it to do everything.

EDIT:I just noticed that your old SR5 had an aftermarket pickup?

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 21 Sep 2017, 17:56

ozrider wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 17:12

Shh. Don't tell anyone. :hellno: That was one of the mods the guys on the EB forums didn't like. I kept the original ceramic pickup and sold it with the bass. They said "If it sounded better with the Alnico magnet pickup; Sterling would have made it that was in the first place!". If I didn't like the bass, I should have sold it and found something I did like, rather than modding it in any way! No room for something being almost right. A few people chimed in to say they had been disappointed to find the SR5 had a very different pickup to the SR4 too. The discussion started because someone asked a question about the Duncan Alnico as a replacement. Having installed one, I gave my impressions. Sterling told us we weren'y able to discuss other brands on his forum. A year or so later, they changed the SR5 to have an Alnico mag pickup and introduced the Sterling 5 with the ceramic mag pickup that had been in the SR5. I guess Sterling is allowed to 'mod' the design. :shrug:
Greg

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 21 Sep 2017, 18:18

aphekgreg wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 17:56
ozrider wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 17:12

Shh. Don't tell anyone. :hellno: That was one of the mods the guys on the EB forums didn't like. I kept the original ceramic pickup and sold it with the bass. They said "If it sounded better with the Alnico magnet pickup; Sterling would have made it that was in the first place!". If I didn't like the bass, I should have sold it and found something I did like, rather than modding it in any way! No room for something being almost right. A few people chimed in to say they had been disappointed to find the SR5 had a very different pickup to the SR4 too. The discussion started because someone asked a question about the Duncan Alnico as a replacement. Having installed one, I gave my impressions. Sterling told us we weren'y able to discuss other brands on his forum. A year or so later, they changed the SR5 to have an Alnico mag pickup and introduced the Sterling 5 with the ceramic mag pickup that had been in the SR5. I guess Sterling is allowed to 'mod' the design. :shrug:
I agree, it's a bit crazy to think you couldn't improve a design (or at least make it different). I personally think the ceramic sounds the best in the SR5. I'm pleased to see it in the 30th anniversary model, which even there Stirling argued that times have changed and people are looking for a different tone, hence the EQ changes. I think the biggest issue with mods is not knowing if it really is going to turn out how you'd like. I'd mod my SR5 with a P pickup, but I have no way of knowing if it will really end up producing the tones I enjoy from my BB. I'm not really cashed up to experiment endlessly, nor equipped with all the gear to work on these things myself, so I'm pleased that the SR and BB basically cover all my immediate needs.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 22 Sep 2017, 09:19

Petebass seems to like it, the stingray with a P. Sandberg VM4 is killer with that combo. Up to you of course, I'm on the fence about modding bases too, usually ends up being more effort than it's worth for me. If you do, reverse the P I think it sounds much more balanced across strings if that's what you're after.
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 22 Sep 2017, 10:29

narcdor wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 09:19
Petebass seems to like it, the stingray with a P. Sandberg VM4 is killer with that combo. Up to you of course, I'm on the fence about modding bases too, usually ends up being more effort than it's worth for me. If you do, reverse the P I think it sounds much more balanced across strings if that's what you're after.
Yes, been down this road chatting about it with Pete. I love the P tone on the BB, I don't think the stingray with a P pickup will replicate that sound. Maybe get in the ball park but I think it's just easier to enjoy the two different basses for what they are - perfect pairing for my needs. I've learned to appreciate basses as tools to produce music, but even a Swiss Army knife is a compromise if you get my meaning