Best Acoustic Bass Guitar Among These

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
bassplayerjames

Best Acoustic Bass Guitar Among These

Post by bassplayerjames » 02 Aug 2017, 02:18

Beginner Help Needed

I read an article describing 5 best bass guitars with their pros and cons. And now I am super confused which one to buy after reading the cons.

1.Dean EAB – A combo of Electric-Acoustic Bass Guitar
2.Seagull S6 – The original Acoustic Guitar
3.Epiphone DR-100 – The Vintage Model
4.Fender Kingman – The Californian Version
5.Ibanez AEB5EBK – The Black Beauty

Here's the source

Thanks in Advance!

Aussie Mark

Re: Best Acoustic Bass Guitar Among These

Post by Aussie Mark » 02 Aug 2017, 09:27

The pros and cons are very similar for all of those basses -

Pros: Can play it at home without having to plug into an amp
Cons: If someone else joins you on guitar or percussion or piano you won't be able to hear yourself

Bottom line, there are only a handful of acoustic basses that are strong acoustically - generally high end models such as Taylors and the discontinued Ernie Ball Earthwood.

I'm sure there are many people on this forum who have owned an acoustic bass and been disappointed in the volume when unplugged - I'm one of them :-)

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

slave

Post by slave » 02 Aug 2017, 09:40

Aussie Mark wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 09:27
I'm sure there are many people on this forum who have owned an acoustic bass and been disappointed in the volume when unplugged - I'm one of them :-)
Pretty much this.
I bought a Monterey ABG some 17 years back that has served me thru many a beach holiday. It's great for what it is, but you'll have to use a pick (aggressively) to get the sort of volume that might compete. Even then it's not loud enough, so be prepared to get amp'ed.

FWIW, if I was to look for something fun to play for acoustic unplugged jam sessions with guitarists these days, I'd consider a uke, mandolin, lap steel, harmonica or some sort of percussive instrument. Yeah, I said pretty much anything but an ABG, been there, struggled to hear that. :D :lol:

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 02 Aug 2017, 09:48

Whatever you get - make it fretless. Fretted aocoustic basses with roundwounds sound like a seagull on a typewriter.
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

MilesJackson

Post by MilesJackson » 02 Aug 2017, 09:51

Yep add me to the disappointed list. I had a very high end Taylor (AB 2), spent a bomb and yeah in a jazz trio I could barely hear myself, at least with any authority let alone dial in a decent tone.

cleary

Post by cleary » 02 Aug 2017, 10:22

vin-tone wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 09:48
...Fretted aocoustic basses with roundwounds sound like a seagull on a typewriter.
Love it.

I've heard you also need to be careful about eating crumbly food around fretted acoustics...

:peep:
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

veebass

Post by veebass » 02 Aug 2017, 11:23

I looked at some of the ones mentioned in the article before I bought a Tanglewood. It is better than the ones I looked at IMO.
But basically, what others have said.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

grooveinsyd

Post by grooveinsyd » 02 Aug 2017, 11:44

I used to own a resonator bass like this http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=814064021969
which doesnt have a lot bottom end, but it cut through better. (with those clankness)
Just an option for you to try it out. ;)

balzac

Post by balzac » 02 Aug 2017, 12:23

I have an Ibanez AEB5, and it's fun for practising and messing about by myself - like others have said, acoustic basses don't have a lot of volume without an amp and will struggle to be heard when playing with others. The Ibby's playability is pretty good (although the action's quite high and the neck is pretty chunky). It's fine for quiet jams, but needs to be amplified for any type of performance, in my experience, at least. I like it, but probably wouldn't buy another acoustic bass - this one was a gift from my wife, so it's a keeper.

If I were you, unless there was a specific reason for wanting an acoustic bass (the look can really suit an acoustic duo, etc.), I'd opt for an electric instead - if you're going to be gigging with the acoustic, you'll need to get an amp anyway, and an electric will probably be a better buy and more useful in the long run

If you're set on an acoustic bass, you may also want to consider a Warwick Rockbass Alien - I think JB HiFi sell them for a reasonable price

BTW, the Epiphone and Seagull in your link seem to just be regular guitars, not basses, so you can probably cross them off the list

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 02 Aug 2017, 13:25

My Tanglewood kept up with many a guitar back in the day. Sadly it has become slightly unplayable due to damage from another person years ago which worsened over time - warped top. Long story. But it was long scale, cutaway, large body almost Epiphone El Capitan style.

Have you looked at the Spector models out now?
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 02 Aug 2017, 13:56

Extremely uncomfortable to play

inaudible against almost ANY other instrument, harmonica, kazoo, jewish harp, let alone drums or an acoustic guitar will ALL drown an ABG out.

did I mention they are extremely uncomfortable to play

Pros: it weighs less than a P bass :) that is it
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 02 Aug 2017, 14:34

Best of both worlds...

Ibanez Artcore AFB200F 4 String Hollow Body Bass Guitar Tobacco Burst

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232430324570
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

DoctorJohn

Post by DoctorJohn » 02 Aug 2017, 14:39

i bought an ashton acoustic bass for $100 off gumtree. It was actually surprisingly loud acoustically even when jamming with a guitarist on an acoustic guitar.

StinkyPete

Post by StinkyPete » 02 Aug 2017, 14:44

I had a Tecoma Thunderchief CB10 for a few years and with tape wound strings it was great for campfire jams with 2 acoustic guitars and small bongo. I even had a camper (guitarist) come up to us the next day asking about the bass because it sounded great apparently and they were camped 100 meters away, given it was at night and in the Cathedral Mountains so the sound was great where we were, like an amphitheatre.

The Thunderchief was great plugged or unplugged, not with rounds though, I tried flats but tape wounds were best for acoustic volume hands down, well that's my experience anyway :shrug:

Campfire jams with 2 guitars = yes

Add drums = no
Basses: Sandberg VM5, Fender Geddy Lee J & Fretless P, Warmoth '69 SCP, Squier VM TB.
Amps: Traynor YBA200, Fender TB600, GB STM600
Cabs: Fender Rumble 410 V3, Eden EX112

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 02 Aug 2017, 17:19

DoctorJohn wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 14:39
i bought an ashton acoustic bass for $100 off gumtree. It was actually surprisingly loud acoustically even when jamming with a guitarist on an acoustic guitar.
A few years back I had to the chance to compare 4 ABGs in a shop. Anyway, order of loudest to quietest it went like this...

Cort jumbo style
Fender & Ashton dreadnought style (almost identical except for headstocks and logos)
Ibanez dreadnought style

The Ibanez was by far the worst sounding acoustically. Cardboard box with glossy paint. The cort was by the best all round, although the fender/ashton were not a hugh distance behind in volume. I couldn't believe how good the Ashton was for the money either. DrJohn I reckon you did very well.

P.s. I can't see how the artcore would work well acoustically.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/