NBD Dingwall

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
sic608

NBD Dingwall

Post by sic608 » 18 Jul 2016, 19:31

Belated NBD. Dingwall Nolly

Had it for a few months now.

I use it with an ampeg BA115 combo for practice and through an eden wtx1000N and 810 box's when having some fun. No live band or gigs.

Got it to give the dingwall fan fret thing ago. Unlike some reviews it took me a bit to get used too it. Particularly above the 12th fret. Still have to think abit when playing up high.

Overall i love the neck shape. So comfortable. Sound is modern. Has some serious bottom end prob due to the darkglass tone capsule.

But its only still very new and the frets have very noticeably wear which apparently happens due the fan fret set up. Mine has some noise and the volume pot needs looking at :rollno: The low b, i have never been a big fan of because i always thought, even from a young player its never that clear.

And yes this is clear but as clear, i think, as any high end bass. Well my streamer stage 2 is just as clear. But i guess the dingwall would come into its own at lower tunings.

Having said that shes pretty much been my main player since I've had her. Is that because she is my newest baby?

I would love to compare her to a fully fledged canadian model and has me thinking i about ordering a custom now.

Final thought. I cant see myself selling her anytime soon, if ever.
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

drbass

Re: NBD Dingwall

Post by drbass » 18 Jul 2016, 19:42

Congrats but of course we need pix.

Greg (aphekgreg) has a Z3 which I'm sure he'll bring to the Sydney Get-together. My Z2 sounds considerably different, less mellow, more attack. I won't be able to come up to Sydney for the GTG, sorry, so no direct comparison.

I respectfully disagree wrt the low B. There may well be basses that have a similar clarity but there is definitely something very special about that B that I have yet to hear from any other bass.

Yes, there is some visible foreswear (I had that after only a couple of hours) but as you say (and this has been discussed on the Dingwall forum) it appears to be normal and of no major concern.

Enjoy - like you I won't sell my Z2.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 fanned, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, ME1/5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

sic608

Post by sic608 » 18 Jul 2016, 21:22

Yeah sorry something weird happened there. 2 post popped up 4 some reason. The oics in the other topic. But have another

Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 18 Jul 2016, 21:31

I love that green, that's a nice bass mate! I played one of those before I started my hunt for a Dingwall (I just acquired the AB2 that was on the forum here) and was highly impressed, enough that I knew that I had to own a Canadian one ASAP. I had to dispose of my NYC Sadowsky to get it and so far I'm not disappointed.

I agree though with drbass - the Dingwall has the best B sting I have ever had on a 5 or 6 string bass and I've owned most. The closest that even came to the AB2 in clarity was my Modulus. However I've had a few Warwick's and my Dolphin 5 has a b string that had a similar tonal sound to the AB2 and was more pleasing to my ear over the Modulus - maybe because the woods were similar to my Dingwall.

In any case, I'm glad you are liking the bass and if you think the NG is good, wait till you play one of the high end Canadian models - you will start to GAS like nothing else!!

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 18 Jul 2016, 21:51

Congrats......thats a nice bass :D
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

giggawazza

Post by giggawazza » 18 Jul 2016, 23:05

The thing about the Dingwall B for me is that it's not so much how great the open B sounds, though it's the best B string I've ever heard IMHO, but how good the notes sound as you fret your way up the neck. I have other high end 5ers and usually, they sound a bit daggy after say the D and get worse as you fret higher. The Dingwall sounds great and is totally useable on any fret on the B string. Which gives you a bucket load of freedom to play where your hands are and not have to jump around the neck.

I have an Afterburner 1 with the triple pickups and it beats my top of the line US Spector 5 and my Warwick LE Fortress 5 like they owe it money :)
Heaps o nice gear, I'm old and have a job...

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 19 Jul 2016, 09:09

I will have my Z3 at the GTG on the 6th, if you can get down. Otherwise you're welcome to come for a trip down here sometimes if you want to compare them.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

sic608

Post by sic608 » 19 Jul 2016, 13:07

The green i was worried about in the first place when i bought it, but i really like it now. Im usually a more natural timber type bloke. But its nice to have variety now a days. Im leaning towards more versatility these days.

Well my streamer must go well then with the b string. It was the most standout bass tone i remember at first pluck. And since i never had much thought for years of the b string (i have a 6 string i changed to E - F) i must of taken it for granted.

Greg. When and where is this gtg? Ive never been but would love to try and get there for the next one. And thanks for the invite. Again if i have any things you would like to try out and make it up here your welcome also. U might want to what till after oct when my unicorn makes it here ;)

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 19 Jul 2016, 14:16

Next GTG is Aug 6th in West Pymble. Details here. http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20201 Bring whatever you have for show and tell.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

sic608

Post by sic608 » 20 Jul 2016, 19:55

Dam i wont make the 6th. So disappointed. Would love to meet some members and try out some sweet stuff.

If you and some others are keen to do a smaller gtg sometime later in the year count me in and i bring all my toys