Stingray GAS

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Heath

Stingray GAS

Post by Heath » 28 Apr 2016, 14:32

so stupid me this morning when i went into muso's to buy a spectracomp i inspected all the stingrays, a couple of classic 4's and 5's, a sabre and a few modern 5's....all were very nice indeed....then andy comes out with an all black neck-through 5 :drool:

very much identical to this

but these images do not do them justice, its a very nice deep glossy black....im hoping i can work it into the stable, would be a very nice contrast to the east :D
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Warwick Corvette5, Fender CS 57P, Musicman Sabre, Sandberg Ida
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

Aussie Mark

Re: Stingray GAS

Post by Aussie Mark » 28 Apr 2016, 14:36

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 28 Apr 2016, 15:15

Stingray GAS is probably one of the most difficult to innoculate for... there are no real effective options to protect oneself from this virulent strain of GAS

:D

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 28 Apr 2016, 19:25

Owning a pair of them cured me. :eyebrow: Never miss the 5, but do occasionally wish I still had the 4, although mainly for the neck. Great neck.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 28 Apr 2016, 22:02

aphekgreg wrote:Owning a pair of them cured me. :eyebrow: Never miss the 5, but do occasionally wish I still had the 4, although mainly for the neck. Great neck.
Same here; had a frustrating experience with a gorgeous 5HH. Loved the Bass, but just couldn't come to terms with the neck; always found it a struggle for some reason. Maybe if it had have been a 4 I might still have it.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 28 Apr 2016, 23:16

Paisley wrote:
aphekgreg wrote:Owning a pair of them cured me. :eyebrow: Never miss the 5, but do occasionally wish I still had the 4, although mainly for the neck. Great neck.
Same here; had a frustrating experience with a gorgeous 5HH. Loved the Bass, but just couldn't come to terms with the neck; always found it a struggle for some reason. Maybe if it had have been a 4 I might still have it.
In my case I had a Stingray5, that I really wanted to love and managed to let the guys in the shop convince me just needed a new set of strings. It wasn't the strings. Muddy B and really twangy G. Both sounded good, they just shouldn't have been on the one bass. I wanted to change pitch, not the fundamental tone. Other than that, an incredibly well made bass.

I'd quite like to hear this neck through version.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 29 Apr 2016, 09:18

Controversial, but my conclusion is that those who are naturally strong in the hands and wrists in 90+ percent of cases will complain about the twangy G string and a flappy/muddy B string. Those guys almost always sound great on a J Bass and horrible on a Stingray. The same applies in reverse ... which is why I love my stingrays.

First rule of life, go with whatever suits you best.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 29 Apr 2016, 12:12

Petebass wrote:Controversial, but my conclusion is that those who are naturally strong in the hands and wrists in 90+ percent of cases will complain about the twangy G string and a flappy/muddy B string. Those guys almost always sound great on a J Bass and horrible on a Stingray. The same applies in reverse ... which is why I love my stingrays.

First rule of life, go with whatever suits you best.
interesting observation, Pete

not to say that one cannot adjust to either instrument...

I do tend to hit the strings a bit hard with BOTH hands and I do find that a Jazz bass responds beautifully to this be "complaining" in a nice, growly fashion.

I haven't logged much time on a SR5, but I've found that I can get a really nice tone from the one I've played (a mate's @ church), but it does respond quite differently.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

slave

Post by slave » 29 Apr 2016, 18:20

Petebass wrote:First rule of life, go with whatever suits you best.
Never thought of it that way RE: Stongrays, but now I have, you're talk sounds similar to my experience.
I don't have a light touch, I like to really dig in with either fingers or a pick. I bought a vintage burst Stinger with a rosewood neck. It looked fantastic & the neck was yummy. I wanted to really like the bass, given the feel and how much I liked playing it at home. But I just couldn't gel with the bass in a band setting, no matter what strings or what changes I made to pick-up or bridge saddle height.
So there you go.
Now I play P/J's.....

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 29 Apr 2016, 18:45

Speaking of P basses, another observation. Most (but not all) people who get along with Stingrays also get along with P basses - but not necessarily the other way around.That one is harder to explain :)
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 29 Apr 2016, 19:17

I never had an issue with my Stingray 4. It was the 5 string that I was never happy with.
Greg

DanMan82

Post by DanMan82 » 29 Apr 2016, 21:03

I can help you with your stingray GAS.... thinking of offloading mine so I can snap up a cab I've got my eye on.

Interested?

Bass: USA G&L L-2000 / Fender Am Deluxe P / Fender Jaguar Bass / Fender Am Std P / Fender Roadworn Jazz / Fender Bullet Deluxe
Amps: Fender Super Bassman 300 / Fender Bassman 500
Cab: Fender Neo 610

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 29 Apr 2016, 22:16

DanMan82 wrote:I can help you with your stingray GAS.... thinking of offloading mine so I can snap up a cab I've got my eye on.

Interested?

dear lord... that looks like my a carbon copy of my poor old '86 Ray that I sold and got beaten to death by someone with a penchant for sanding tools...

is that a trans cherry red kinda colour or opaque?

Heath

Post by Heath » 30 Apr 2016, 01:10

Petebass wrote:Speaking of P basses, another observation. Most (but not all) people who get along with Stingrays also get along with P basses - but not necessarily the other way around.That one is harder to explain :)
I get along with Yamaha's :peep: hence why I have 3 of them :help
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Warwick Corvette5, Fender CS 57P, Musicman Sabre, Sandberg Ida

Heath

Post by Heath » 30 Apr 2016, 01:11

DanMan82 wrote:I can help you with your stingray GAS.... thinking of offloading mine so I can snap up a cab I've got my eye on.

Interested?

As much as I'd like to buy it and help your gas and mine, someone needs a case of ashdown gas and buy my ashdown rig first :banghead: