Heavier Strings for Eb Standard tuning?

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
FunkyJase

Heavier Strings for Eb Standard tuning?

Post by FunkyJase » 19 Jun 2018, 17:52

So I have inherited some heavier strings along with a new bass. I prefer a standard tuning with regular gauge strings so I was going to give these heavy strings away but then I wondered if they might suit my P Bass which is detuned to Eb Standard...

Before I swap/set up and adjust everything - has anyone else used this kind of set up? They would definitely suit a dropped C set up but I have NO idea how to play in dropped C he he (and no bands that would suit it)..

The strings are GHS Bass Boomers H3045 50-115 gauge..
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, Fender Jazz Am Deluxe & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, GK MB500, GB NeoX 212T, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

Classic5

Re: Heavier Strings for Eb Standard tuning?

Post by Classic5 » 19 Jun 2018, 18:44

Heavy guage strings will generally result in higher tension so yes, it should work well for drop tuning. I've only ever tuned down to Eb though. No issue even with standard guage strings.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

Heath

Post by Heath » 19 Jun 2018, 19:03

I think string gauge is personal thing more than anything else, it's a thing where you should try as many different guages on different basses as different guages work better on different basses, for me I use d'addario prosteels 40-60-80-95-120, for standard and down half step, I love that light feel, and d'addario do it right, I've tried eb slinkys and they just weren't the same, Dr hi beams don't work for me either, i guess what I'm trying to say is don't be afraid to experiment, next is a set of rotosound mark king strings for me 30-50-70-90
Yamaha BBNE2+425x, Warwick Corvette5, Fender CS 57P, Musicman Sabre, Sandberg Ida
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 19 Jun 2018, 20:04

Turns out these ones are WAY too heavy for Eb tuning he he. It's like trying to play funk on a train track ;-)
Probably be good for BEAD though..
Roy Batty

57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, Fender Jazz Am Deluxe & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 21 Jun 2018, 11:35

50-115 is about right for standard C. Justin Chancellor uses standard gauge with a 110 for the dropped D.

I recommend DR Lo-Riders standard gauge for possible Eb standard. These are Rotosound-ish in sound, less abrasive than Rotos, and higher tension than DR Hi-Beams because they are hex-core. I use the Lo-Riders on my Ric, because the 33 1/2" scale results in a tension similar to the Hi-Beams on my Ripper, which has 34" scale. Hi-Beams are an incredible string too and going drop D on those is no problem, although I think they would feel slightly floppy at Eb standard.

I am not endorsed by DR... yet.... and probably never will be!
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 21 Jun 2018, 22:21

Interesting thread. I think the Sadowsky Black Label Nickels work well in Eb. They are higher tension than other strings in the same gauge that I've tried so at Eb they seem to work out about "right" for me.
Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 22 Jun 2018, 06:57

Another vote for low riders. I've got a set on my Warwick set to drop d down a half step (or drop c#) for a recording project I'm working on.

slave

Post by slave » 03 Jul 2018, 20:06

FunkyJase wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 17:52
The strings are GHS Bass Boomers H3045 50-115 gauge..
I've used this exact set plenty of times over the years. I like them for standard tuning down to D, but I find them a bit too loose for C standard.

Heavy strings aren't always about tension. The higher tension allows you to achieve lower string height setups you wouldn't be able to achieve with a standard tension. Once you have it setup properly, they can be very easy to play, provided you're not trying to bend everything....

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 13 Jul 2018, 09:57

So on a whim I bought a set of DR Pure Blues. Nickel, hand-wound on round cores. 50 - 110 guage.

Hoe. Lee. Chit these are nice! Gigged with them twice. The feel is awesome and the tone is amazing. I wonder how they'll go after a few months of heavy playing. Probably lose that new string zing which for me is only a good thing :-)

The 50 - 110 guage is perfect
Roy Batty

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 13 Jul 2018, 10:28

DR nickels feel fantastic. Pure Blues probably too bright for me, and from what I've read the zing takes forever to fade, so be patient. Sunbeams feel similar I think and do fade faster.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, MusicMan, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 13 Jul 2018, 11:57

narcdor wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 10:28
DR nickels feel fantastic. Pure Blues probably too bright for me, and from what I've read the zing takes forever to fade, so be patient. Sunbeams feel similar I think and do fade faster.
Ha cool! I actually like the zing! So thats good :-)
Roy Batty