The Fender JMJ Mustang has landed - now with photos

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
SpankyAndy

The Fender JMJ Mustang has landed - now with photos

Post by SpankyAndy » 16 Apr 2018, 11:24

Hi all,

The JMJ Mustang was delivered this morning. I’ve been studying it and playing it for the last hour.

Firstly, kudos, to Dave Evans and Guy at The Bass Centre, for making this such an easy process and for the fast delivery once i paid the invoice Friday lunchtime.

Initial impressions? Well, if looks like a “proper” Mustang bass. I won’t comment too much on the relic finish, apart from saying that this is the STICKIEST neck i have ever encountered on any guitar or bass of any brand ever.

The checking and finish cracking on the back of the headstock is quite extreme and flaky in a few places. Touching it lightly with a finger, encountered several sharp pieces where the lacquer is obviously lifting and likely to come off if not careful. The pick guard, instead of looking discoloured through age, environmental or UV exposure, looks more like it was buried for a while in Australian red dirt. It has that kind of stained look that only red dirt can give.

Weight wise, it’s a little lighter than my PJ Mustang. Construction is nicely done, and is identical in quality to my PJ Mustang. The body seems the same thickness, the headstock seems thicker, but I haven’t dug out my digital calipers to get an exact reading. Obviously, the JMJ has a traditional Mustang string-through bridge, compared to the PJ’s “sawn-off” Precision bridge.

Both the PJ and the JMJ Mustang use “traditional” Fender body woods (Alder etc), compared to the Basswood bodies used on the MIJ models.

Immediately prior to paying the invoice, i had read a couple of Talkbass and other forum posts from owners of the PJ Mustang and the JMJ Mustang, saying how superior the JMJ was, how punchy the JMJ custom Duncan pickup was and how AMAZINGLY dramatic the tone knob was, with a very dynamic and useful sweep. The posts i read had the JMJ owners aiming to sell their PJ Mustangs. I took it all with a pinch of salt, but it seemed to indicate good things.

I smiled when i unboxed the JMJ Mustang, but that’s about it. Maybe the others got amazing examples and i got an average one. I dunno, but i do know that i am completely underwhelmed.

My PJ Mustang has a broken pickup switch, which moves in every direction, but aside from that small, fixable, issue, i would say that at first play, the PJ Mustang is hands down a better, more versatile bass, and significantly better value.

I’m no stranger to shorties (i have 5 shorties) or flats (I have 5 or 6 basses with 4 different brands of flat wounds), but side by side, the PJ, when played on the P pickup alone., is at least a third louder and a lot punchier than the JMJ. Obviously this is all subjective, and I am not sure if the significant difference in volume relates to the combination of the pickup and the flats, but everything i read stated this was a “hot” custom wound Seymour Duncan, so that was my expectation.

I’ve never really experienced a negative “meh” feeling about playing a new instrument, but i am with this one. It’s a nice bass, but it’s not nicer than the PJ Mustang. Im hoping this will prove to be a reverse honeymoon period and in a few weeks i will be gushing, but after an hour of playing it, i am completely underwhelmed. The tone control is no different in sweep and effect than my PJ, the neck is nowhere near as fast as the PJ and the JMJ pickup seems weak. It does give an Uber compressed P bass slap, far more compressed than the PJ, but that’s the only different tonal flavour i can spot immediately. Maybe i need to experiment with the height adjustment on the JMJ pickup. Time will tell.

BTW, I’m not a stranger to Fender flats either. At the moment i have Fender flats on a Gibson oversized body Les Paul bass that i purchased back in 2014/15. Aside from being the heaviest bass I own, the Gibson made me a convert to Fender’s flatwounds.
Last edited by SpankyAndy on 17 Apr 2018, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

SpankyAndy

Re: The JMJ has landed - initial verdict

Post by SpankyAndy » 16 Apr 2018, 11:25

I will post photos tonight.

lamefingers

Post by lamefingers » 16 Apr 2018, 11:52

Wow mate, that's a bugger. I've been cautiously salivating over these for a while. I'm guessing you have too. I'm a bit of a shorty and flats chap too and have a couple of late 70s' Musicmasters that have had everything from vintage Mosrite, quad coil MM and conventional P pickups through them. (Have stuck with a vintage Bart P)
I really thought that Duncan PU would be the thing but like you said, time will tell. Good luck with it mate. I hope the reverse honeymoon thing works out

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 16 Apr 2018, 12:27

So JMJ isn't the pickup configuration like I first thought. It's just the initials of someone famous looking for another dribble of passive income. I wouldn't have even clicked on this thread if I'd known ..... I'm not surprised it was a disappointment. There's sorts of things usually are.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 16 Apr 2018, 13:08

Ah nuts, that sucks to hear, hopefully you just got very excited and built up expectation, but that the reality is still quite good once it settles in and you get to know it...
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic
Mesa Walkbout, O'Neill B15-100 (B15-N clone), MarkBass Classic 300, Fender Bassman Neo 115, Ampeg Repro B15E

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 16 Apr 2018, 14:00

Geez mate, not the review I was expecting when I saw you had started this thread. Gutted for you. Sounds like a phone call to BC is in order to see what the feedback has been like from other recipients of this first batch.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 16 Apr 2018, 14:31

I'm sorry to hear that Andy. For that kind of dough I'd expect a great bass too.
Return it.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 16 Apr 2018, 14:46

And now discounted to just $100, accorrding to the BC website ....

https://www.basscentre.com.au/collectio ... le/mustang

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Rickles

Post by Rickles » 16 Apr 2018, 15:18

I think you misread that Mark. It's $100 deposit and the balance of $1699 when stock arrives.
Melbourne
75 P Bass, Warwick Standard Corvette, SWR MoBass, Markbass, BAmp, CN212, HD210, SWR 210.

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 16 Apr 2018, 17:04

Rickles wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 15:18
I think you misread that Mark. It's $100 deposit and the balance of $1699 when stock arrives.
I think he was joking....
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

Rickles

Post by Rickles » 16 Apr 2018, 17:37

Why you ........ :bat:

:lol: Ya got me.
Melbourne
75 P Bass, Warwick Standard Corvette, SWR MoBass, Markbass, BAmp, CN212, HD210, SWR 210.

veebass

Post by veebass » 16 Apr 2018, 18:05

SpankyAndy wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 11:24
I’ve never really experienced a negative “meh” feeling about playing a new instrument, but i am with this one. It’s a nice bass, but it’s not nicer than the PJ Mustang. Im hoping this will prove to be a reverse honeymoon period and in a few weeks i will be gushing, but after an hour of playing it, i am completely underwhelmed. The tone control is no different in sweep and effect than my PJ, the neck is nowhere near as fast as the PJ and the JMJ pickup seems weak. It does give an Uber compressed P bass slap, far more compressed than the PJ, but that’s the only different tonal flavour i can spot immediately. Maybe i need to experiment with the height adjustment on the JMJ pickup. Time will tell.

BTW, I’m not a stranger to Fender flats either. At the moment i have Fender flats on a Gibson oversized body Les Paul bass that i purchased back in 2014/15. Aside from being the heaviest bass I own, the Gibson made me a convert to Fender’s flatwounds.
Sorry to hear the new one doesn't excite you. I, like everyone else, thought they looked pretty cool.

I missed that you bought a LP OSB. Congrats- I love mine. Great bass- I run mine with Fender Nickel Rounds, which after a while sound like Fender Flats anyway, but I like the feel better. It gets a fair bit of gig time with my TBirds. The Fenders just don't so it for me ATM.
You mention yours is heavy. What does it weigh? My Goldtop is a touch over 10 lbs, which is not much more than my LP DC Bass which has a standard size body and a cut out. It weighs 9 and a quarter pounds.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 16 Apr 2018, 23:36

Bummer dude !!!
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 17 Apr 2018, 02:21

Aw man, this hurts to read. Have you had a chance to try it in a band situation?
Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 17 Apr 2018, 10:28

Do try the pups higher as you say? That should at least get your output on more equivalent footing to your other one - then you can more accurately tell if you new pup is genuinely down.
I see..............basses!