NBD........well...soon

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
aphekgreg

Re: NBD........well...soon

Post by aphekgreg » 06 Dec 2017, 20:51

We now have a working passive Musician. New volume/tone pots and active passive switch.

This should 'sound' better. :hyper:

Passive wiring. I use mine passive 90% of the time. I've wired the active/passive switch so the preamp is completely out of the circuit, when bypassed. The original circuit had the signal always going to the input of the preamp and just switched the output, which loaded the pickups slightly. There was also a pair of diodes on the output jack, which were there so you could use Ibanez' external power supply (like phantom power). I've never seen a power supply unit. The active passive switch, which wasn't original anyway, fell apart, as soon as I heated the first lug, so that's a new one.

There's an ugly gap around the neck pickup, from having the EMG installed. I'm sure Heath will craft something to fill it. Not that it's a problem to play.

Next step, is to reinstall the preamp. I've already reattached a number of wires to the pots, so it shouldn't be too hard.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 06 Dec 2017, 21:47

Very nice.. I love a good rescue project. Are you using alfoil as shielding instead of copper now ?

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 06 Dec 2017, 22:12

NotTheFish wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 21:47
Very nice.. I love a good rescue project. Are you using alfoil as shielding instead of copper now ?
No, that's original. My '83 Bean has the same stuff (as does my '81 MC924) and then the '84 Bean has shielding paint, so the obviously changed somewhere around there.

The plan was to let Heath try the pickup and see what he wants, but it's already sounding great. Apart from wanting to give it a very good clean, I would very happily use this bass for anything.

I did raise the action slightly, as Heath likes it almost touching the frets.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 08 Dec 2017, 15:37

All working now. The preamp didn't work at first and then i realised the op amp was in back to front! I'd put in a socket, making sure to orientate it the same way as the chip that was in there. Turns out that was a mistake! Reversed the opamp, but not the socket, as I don't think the board would survive any more soldering. Works perfectly, but could be confusing for anybody wanting to try a different op amp in the future. Interestingly, the TL072 doesn't sound any worse and might actually be slightly better than the 'legendary' JRC4558 that's in mine!

After reversing the op amp, everything worked properly, except for the volume balance control. [Brilliant feature of this revision of the circuit, is a boost/cut volume control that's part of the preamp circuit. It allows you to compensate for eq changes or you could use it as a boost for solos (or turn it down for slapping etc.).] Someone had replaced the 820 ohm resistor in the circuit, with a 6.8k ohm one! Slight difference there!

The pickup switch is a bit dodgy at the moment. I've sprayed a lot of cleaner in there and moved it a fair bit, but it may need replacing. Judging by the wear in the paint, the EMG must have been there a long time, so the switch won't have been used in years.

One month difference in age between these two. Mine is January '81 and Heath's is February '81.

Heath's machine heads still work.... just. You see very few with the original machines still working.

The transition at the headstock is slightly different between the two of them. Heath's (on the left) is slightly higher and deeper.

Heath's walnut strips are darker too.

I've blurred the price tag on this. Not sure if Heath wants anybody to know how little he paid. Including postage from Vic to Newcastle, less than I paid for mine, used in '83. :shrug:
Last edited by aphekgreg on 08 Dec 2017, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 08 Dec 2017, 17:38

It is coming along very nicely.. Excellent work Greg. Interesting to hear that the humble TL072 sounds just fine.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 08 Dec 2017, 18:35

NotTheFish wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 17:38
It is coming along very nicely.. Excellent work Greg. Interesting to hear that the humble TL072 sounds just fine.
It's done for now. We'll see what Heath thinks of it, after he picks it up tomorrow.
Greg

Heath

Post by Heath » 08 Dec 2017, 22:20

Can't wait!!! It'll be getting gigged tomorrow night, better buy a wide strap for it..and price wise, i got it from Caloundra for $400 posted, serious bargain of the year
Basses: Yamaha, Sandberg, Ibanez
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band
https://www.musosgarage.com/reofenders

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 08 Dec 2017, 23:53

That was a steal !! I'm pretty jealous it weighs so little. Mine was 5.1kg IIRC.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 09 Dec 2017, 08:25

BassLine wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 23:53
That was a steal !! I'm pretty jealous it weighs so little. Mine was 5.1kg IIRC.
Same as mine! The MC30TH is 4.4kg, but doesn't feel at all heavy. Doesn't feel light, but it balances so well, it never hurts.
Greg

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 09 Dec 2017, 15:49

Heath has pickup up his Musician, so that's it for me. He's going to use it at a gig tonight, so am sure he'll be giving us a report soon.

While he was here we compared 5 amps and 5 cabs, using the Musician and my Jazz, with that '73 neck.

Markbass TTE, Traynor YBA300, Berg AE212, GK1001RB2, Carvin 972, TC 212 (we didn't use the TC head), Mo Mark, Epifani 310, Markbass SA450 and TC 210 (with Celestions).

Greg