SOLD: Ampeg SVT Tube DI $400

Forum rules
Before you post on this forum read the Forum Rules in the first stickied thread. Failure to do so can result in your threads or posts to be deleted without notice.

Bumping Etiquette: You can bump your sale thread only once every 3 days. You may however add additional information to your thread or keep a discussion going when you wish.

Classifieds are now a "Supporting Member" only section. This means threads can now only be started by Supporting Members. To become a supporting member click on Paypal Donate button at the bottom of this page.

WARNING: Ozbassforum.com and its staff take no responsibilites whatsoever for any transactions that occur in this forum. Use at your own risk.

WHAT YOU CAN SELL HERE: studio/home studio gear and live gear i.e. headphones, mixers, PA systems, studio effects, microphones etc...

WHAT YOU CANNOT SELL HERE: anything with instrument sounds (drum machines, synths etc...), computers, software. As an exception software can only be offered if it comes originally with the product sold i.e. drivers and software to run a multi track hardware recorder and such items
bigswifty

SOLD: Ampeg SVT Tube DI $400

Post by bigswifty » 08 May 2017, 20:11

Hey Guys,

Selling my Ampeg SVT Tube DI. No longer made, these things are up there with the top of the crop of valve DI's. It sounds so good I've used it even when I'm not going to a house PA. Not just for bass, it sounds great with guitars and absolutely brilliant behind a Hammond or Rhodes. It really just works with everything and sounds great with everything. Super quiet, I expect it would work great in a studio, but it's also built well enough to take out on gigs. I'm really only considering selling it because I'm simply carting too much stuff around and I need to declutter my load.

Hasn't been made for years, so how to price this? I really have no idea. It's nearest competitor would probably have been the Aguilar DB900, but that's no longer made so that's no help. Amazon shows the REDDI for USD$745.00, the Radial Firefly for USD$599.99. The quality of the Ampeg is certainly up there with those two IMHO..... so I think $400 seems a pretty fair deal for such a serious piece of kit.

Pretty heavy so I'm thinking pickup in Sydney is probably the only way. Having said that, in coming weeks I'm in Canberra, Bathurst, Wagga, and Newcastle, so if anyone wants to pick it up on those locations I can certainly bring it with me.

Manual http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/SVTDI.pdf

Mike

Last edited by bigswifty on 24 May 2017, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

NotTheFish

Re: FS: Ampeg SVT Tube DI $400

Post by NotTheFish » 08 May 2017, 21:41

Here is a nice youtube clip showing the sound of this baby compared to a REDDI and a Apogee One interface. It sounds fantastic to me.. A bit more coloured than the REDDI. This is a good buy.. I would if I didn't already have a REDDI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2AuUWLprgU

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 08 May 2017, 22:09

NotTheFish wrote:Here is a nice youtube clip showing the sound of this baby compared to a REDDI and a Apogee One interface. It sounds fantastic to me.. A bit more coloured than the REDDI. This is a good buy.. I would if I didn't already have a REDDI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2AuUWLprgU
That's a pretty good demo, thanks! The REDDI always seems to be the standard they judge against with good reason I suppose, and the SVT compares very well I think. I agree that the SVT has more colouring, although that is easily defeated since you can elect to switch out the tube circuit on the SVT on both the balanced and unbalanced outputs. I can't really comment on the balanced output, but I think if you switch the tube circuit out, you get a very "true" sound IMO. But the coloured sound is just so rich I'd never switch it out anyway.

A REDDI owner will correct me on this, but one of the showstoppers on the REDDI for me was that you couldn't get the coloured sound of the REDDI DI to your amp? That might be a positive or a negative I suppose, depending what you want. With the SVT it's your choice. Also the REDDI is just enormous hehehe. The reason I'm selling the SVT is to lighten the load :)

Thanks for posting that demo, cool stuff.

Mike

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 16 May 2017, 18:21

bump