What do you use for studio monitors?

Forum rules
Before you post on this forum read the Forum Rules in the first stickied thread. Failure to do so can result in your threads or posts to be deleted without notice.

Bumping Etiquette: You can bump your sale thread only once every 3 days. You may however add additional information to your thread or keep a discussion going when you wish.

Classifieds are now a "Supporting Member" only section. This means threads can now only be started by Supporting Members. To become a supporting member click on Paypal Donate button at the bottom of this page.

WARNING: Ozbassforum.com and its staff take no responsibilites whatsoever for any transactions that occur in this forum. Use at your own risk.

WHAT YOU CAN SELL HERE: studio/home studio gear and live gear i.e. headphones, mixers, PA systems, studio effects, microphones etc...

WHAT YOU CANNOT SELL HERE: anything with instrument sounds (drum machines, synths etc...), computers, software. As an exception software can only be offered if it comes originally with the product sold i.e. drivers and software to run a multi track hardware recorder and such items
billybass

What do you use for studio monitors?

Post by billybass » 17 Apr 2017, 06:20

Hi All,
I will be ready to get some powered studio monitors, just thought to ask why you all like, before going through the process of having a listed to so many available on the market.
Thank you in advance,
BillyBass

tearalong

Re: What do you use for studio monitors?

Post by tearalong » 17 Apr 2017, 09:39

If you go to DJStore on Parramatta Rd, Leichhardt they have a huge number setup for testing including the standard ones everyone recommends plus many others.

I ended up with Fluid Fx8s https://www.storedj.com.au/fluid-audio- ... itors-pair
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 17 Apr 2017, 12:08

http://www.bigmusicshop.com.au/yamaha-h ... KgodF6YFdQ

I love my Yamaha HS5s.

The 5 inch drivers handle my bass thru it without any problems when I jam to CDs etc.just like using a bass amp

Very flat response. I would've gone for the HS8s but I record in a bedroom so it would've been overkill. Determine the driver size by your room size imho

500 bucks gets you two of em :)

Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 17 Apr 2017, 14:41

Yamaha HS5's as above. They are discontinued so generally not in stores. eBay has some great prices on used ones if you keep a close watch.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 20 Apr 2017, 16:01

M-Audio BX5 Carbon. Same idea.
Sadowsky/Sandberg/Bergantino/Darkglass
TWA Great Divide 2.0
Human Gear Animato
Endangered Audio Research AD4096
Panda Midi Future Impact Mk1
Strymon Timeline/Mobius
Darkglass A/O
Boss Octaver
Fuzzrocious Clipper
Two Notes Le Preamps & Torpedo CAB

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 20 Apr 2017, 16:10

BassLine wrote:Yamaha HS5's as above. They are discontinued so generally not in stores. eBay has some great prices on used ones if you keep a close watch.
Yamaha HS5s are still being made I don't know where you got that info from, all these are brand new current stock.

http://www.bigmusicshop.com.au/yamaha-h ... KgodwVEDSw

https://macronmusic.com.au/product/yama ... o-monitor/

https://www.mannys.com.au//yamaha-hs5w- ... vQodzvQI9Q

From the Yamaha site, definitely not discontinued :)

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-pr ... eries/hs5/

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 20 Apr 2017, 16:28

BazzBass wrote:
BassLine wrote:Yamaha HS5's as above. They are discontinued so generally not in stores. eBay has some great prices on used ones if you keep a close watch.
Yamaha HS5s are still being made I don't know where you got that info from, all these are brand new current stock.

From the Yamaha site, definitely not discontinued :)

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-pr ... eries/hs5/
Good to know. I went in to JB HiFi & he said they're discontinued.... but I'm guessing THEY discontinued carrying them.

I love mine, great for near field monitors or in a smaller room. Bass and laptop into mixer into these = perfect practice setup. Vintone put me onto them.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 20 Apr 2017, 16:44

JB sold these??

In SA JB have no music gear, except for some ukes and an acoustic guitar . I am always amazed at what they carry on their website,wonder why they don't put it into the stores?

TAL

Post by TAL » 21 Apr 2017, 09:32

First decide how much you want to spend.
There will be good reviews and bad reviews on all sorts of monitors. I think the key is to buy a reasonable respected model around $600-$1000 and spend lots of time getting used to them and how they sound andtranslate your mix. It takes a while to get used to your own monitors and after a while you start to hear certain things that do an do not work on your monitors and you adjust accordingly.
For me i think i could not go lower then a 6" speaker as i want a good translation unless you are using a subas well. I think an 8" would be ideal. Depends on the size of the room and how close you are listening to them that can also effect budget and size of the speaker. Have fun searching.

evilgus

Post by evilgus » 25 Apr 2017, 16:05

I bought some (Presonus) Eris E5 monitors from Store DJ, when they last had 10% off, I really like them. They have a lot of EQ/crossover options on the back panel to suit the room/space, which I've also found very useful. Am currently running them with a powered Logitech sub, until I can afford the proper Eris sub.

Looks like they are currently $449.

Cheers,

EG

slave

Post by slave » 01 Jun 2017, 01:48

BazzBass wrote:JB sold these??

In SA JB have no music gear, except for some ukes and an acoustic guitar . I am always amazed at what they carry on their website,wonder why they don't put it into the stores?
JB's near me (I'm in WA) have all sorts, from guitars and cheap crap - to Hi-Fi's & computers.

I'm curious about answers here too!

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 01 Jun 2017, 09:49

I've been using KRK Rokit 6 for donkeys, quite a good monitor for the price, but lately with not enough space to set them up they've been in the cupboard and I've been using headphones.
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz