DPDT foot switch problems

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 02 Apr 2012, 19:18

Hi Guys

A few of you will know of the foot switch issue that is occurring with some of our pedals. It would seem we have bought a "bad batch" but luckily the problem is easily fixed.

All the units are checked rigorously before being sent off but somehow the foot switch decides to work intermittently when it arrives at your doorstep or later whilst in your possession. We had a big think about the issue and came up with various solutions but are still baffled (maybe gremlins?).

If you are experiencing a problem, just unscrew the back plate and spray a little electrical contact fluid into the hole where the mechanical indicator comes out, towards the base of the foot switch, and quickly operate the mechanism before the contact fluid evaporates.

Of course, if you are unsure of what to do or still have an issue, please feel free to contact us any time.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience
Heath

BassLine

Re: DPDT foot switch problems

Post by BassLine » 03 Apr 2012, 01:03

I've read that problems with these switches are endemic globally - very few companies make them and would have to charge a lot more if they tested them all, hence QC suffers. Switch makers argue it's cheaper to repair faulty item at end user = Price driven market dictates manufacturing yet again.

Gotta love Global Markets and Level Playing Fields!! :banghead:
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 03 Apr 2012, 13:30

Didn't realise it was global! Thanks for the information, BassLine.

We have now resorted to spraying each with contact fluid, even if there is no sign of problems, then hopefully the switch will not breakdown.

For our company, who offer a full (real) lifetime warranty and pay ALL postage costs for repairs, we could be on a losing streak if the foot switch manufacturer doesn't upgrade their products! We have found another foot switch at a cheaper price that (at the moment) seems to have no such problems but to install it, as it's a different size, our drilling templates have to be modified... not good.

Cheers
Heath

weemac

Post by weemac » 03 Apr 2012, 15:32

Sadowsky preamp switches have the same lurgy, It may even be the same part..
However I must say that the one in my Bdrive is Purrfect!

Eden.
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I woz the chap behind Polymack Basses....

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 03 Apr 2012, 17:33

I have one in a drawer, never used it...none of my gear uses them...but I'm retrofitting a DIY A/B switch that is currently sporting a toggle switch...handy boxes A/B switches. Heath makes a couple of nifty path switches.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 03 Apr 2012, 23:14

Talking about "path switches"...

Had this guy a year or so ago that wanted me to design a stereo thingy for his two guitar stacks, can't remember exactly what now, but I went overboard and designed him a unit that was totally programmable. This thing was amazing and the circuit ended up being very simple (but not easy to work out, took months).

The whole idea was to have a rotary switch that went from turning simple tasks On/Off to altering entire amp configurations. For example, one amp could be on clean and then the second amp would be programmed to turn on the reverb, overdrive etc, via foot switch. If a new setting was desired, just bend down and turn the rotary switch. No need to go to the amp.

Anyway, the guy gave us the run around for a while and then decided he had no money! Such is life, or is that "Such are people"? Had fun trying to work out the wiring though.

Cheers
Heath

caeman

Post by caeman » 04 Apr 2012, 01:26

That is gonna happen. People have grand ideas, but then when it comes to paying for it, the sticker shock can drive them away.

I want my pedal board to sound the same through any amp, power amp or PA system, so one of the things I have on order with [sfx] Technologies is a high-quality low-pass filter. Much like a bass amp's speaker will limit frequencies to 4500 Hz (roughly, some a little more), I want a low-pass filter that will simulate a speaker with high-quality precision, as in, by 5000 Hz, the signal has been clipped to -80db.

This is mostly a concern when using bass fuzz, as they can produce hi-fi frequencies that you won't hear through your bass amp, but will through a hi-fi PA.

I saved up the money, then ordered it.
Chad Wilson

Endorsing Artist: Cave Passive Pedals