sneak peek: latest goodies from Cave Passive Pedals

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
Aussie Mark

sneak peek: latest goodies from Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Aussie Mark » 28 Feb 2011, 12:42

Pretty soon the Cave website will be updated to reflect the fact that Heath is only going to focus on bass pedals from now on, because sales of Cave bass pedals have outweighed sales of Cave guitar pedals by a substantial margin. So, that's good for all of us, I'm thinking! :hyper:

In the meantime, Heath has been working on some new goodies for bass players, and I am pleased to be able to give OzBass a sneak peek. You are the first people to see these photos :thumbup:

The tiny little tacker in the photo is called "B Drive", and is a souped up single channel Super Grunt boost/overdrive, with Drive, Tone and Level controls. Passive, of course, with no battery or power supply required. Available for order now at $99 + postage.

The finish options available for all Cave pedals from now on are -

1. plain aluminium finish
2. relic
3. highly polished to mirror finish
4. "Alien Blood Bath" (the B-Drive look)

The second pedal is a mock up of the "under development but close to testing" next generation Grunt model to be named the "G4", which is a 3 channel "programmable" boost/overdrive with balanced DI. Think of it as a passive Sansamp Programmable BDDI or VT Bass Deluxe that is around 1/3 the size of those.

The holes in the top/sides of case are there because Heath just grabbed whatever was available on hand and had to move components around to fit better.

The G4 is only a mock-up so you can see the size of the design. The knobs are as follows, from top to bottom, each channel has...DRIVE, TONE, LEVEL and the toggle switch is to select modes between "Original/MKII" and "Super/B-Drive" Grunt circuits. There will be mechanical indicators in between the foot switches, where that unwanted hole is, one for each foot switch - similar to the mechanical indicator in the Super Grunt photo.

The two footswitches are close enough together that they can be operated separately or both at once, and this is how the channel switching is accomplished. Both off will be true bypass, the left button on will be one channel, the right button on will be another channel, and both on will be the third channel.

Estimated price will be $279, plus postage.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Petebass

Re: sneak peek: latest goodies from Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Petebass » 28 Feb 2011, 13:09

Ohh I like sneak peaks! thanks Mark.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 28 Feb 2011, 13:19

I like the "programmable" (or should we say "3-channel") set-up, and the DI is a great touch, too.

and the tiny little B-drive is a great little pedal to sneak onto any board, somewhere... :) nice!
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 28 Feb 2011, 17:01

I am seriously thinking of gettting the 3 channel programmable DI, however those footswitches are a tad close together. Any chnace of seeing a prototype at the upcoming bassnerds in March?
Mailloux Custom "Lucky 13", Kala U-Bass, EA Doubler, Barefaced Midget 112, Mojo-Sonic 1x10.
Arrived... Grove 51 P5.
Look what I made...26 scale 5 string http://ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12037

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 28 Feb 2011, 17:10

spacing looks similar to those on my Zoom B2.1u (a tad tighter, perhaps)

like mark said, they're designed so that you can hit two together or one at a time.
The zoom is designed similarly (I reckon they're approx. 80mm apart on the zoom)...two together = bypass (for tuner, & hold for mute)...one at a time = patch up or patch down...I have no issues with this setup.

And since this is only a prototype, Heath will probably tweak the ergonomics a bit before he comes up with the final product.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

terry

Post by terry » 28 Feb 2011, 17:44

Nice ;)
Low End Jazz 5 - EBS Reidmar 250 - MarkBass RJ15

Bass Lesson Enquiries: roma.terry@gmail.com

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 01 Mar 2011, 08:27

Nigel wrote:I am seriously thinking of gettting the 3 channel programmable DI, however those footswitches are a tad close together.
There's a reason for that, because one of the channels is engaged by hitting both switches at once.
Any chnace of seeing a prototype at the upcoming bassnerds in March?
With Bassnerds only a week away, there definitely won't be a prototype ready in time.

Not sure if I will be able to make Bassnerds anyway - Saturday mornings aren't good for me, with running the kids around to their sporting activities etc. I'm generally ok to come along to afternoon GTGs, but mornings are difficult for me to swing, especially with that weekend being the only weekend until June that I don't have a gig.

Cole

Post by Cole » 01 Mar 2011, 10:38

mmm.... subscribed.

not sure ablut the colours range.... :shrug: lol
COLE
/|\
(o-"=#
/ \

thebman

Post by thebman » 01 Mar 2011, 12:54

Any idea when you'll have YouTube reviews of these pedals Mark?
a generous man devises generous things
and by generosity he shall stand.

Basses: Jazz Basses, always room for more.
Amps: Markbass
Cabs: Got One :-)

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 01 Mar 2011, 13:05

thebman wrote:Any idea when you'll have YouTube reviews of these pedals Mark?
I won't have a chance to do a video review of the B-Drive before I send it back to Heath later this week, but I can tell you it's basically a Grunt with more drive available, and a tone control. If you like what the Grunt and Grunt MkII does in the earlier videos, but want something smaller or with the ability to dial in more dirt, then you'll like the B-Drive.

The G4 is only a visual mock up for layout/size purposes - ie. it is not a functioning prototype. As soon as I send the mock up back to Heath he will continue his prototyping. I think we're talking a few weeks before the G4 will be ready to rock :thumbup:

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 01 Mar 2011, 20:06

I've just finished messing around with that little B Drive bugger for 30 minutes, and it's an amazing thing for the size. It's a souped up Grunt on steroids, but only half the size of an iPhone - and is totally passive. I ran it through my Genz Benz Streamliner with the amp controls all flat and preamp gain on minimum, and the B Drive was able to dirty up the signal just as well as the Streamliner itself can do with the preamp gain cranked.

I can imagine the B Drive would be a handy little fella to fill a small bit of space on a pedal board, or for keeping in the gig bag (or your pocket!) for introducing dirt or boost when you're playing a gig with shared or borrowed solid state backline. Because there are no batteries or power to worry about, it's a 30 second setup to make that Behringer or Hartle rig that the bassist in the band before you was using sound good when your band hits the stage.

Diggo

Post by Diggo » 03 Mar 2011, 20:26

I heartily recommend the B Drive - I got one a month ago. Heath tried a few different things out on mine and it is the most perfect bass overdrive for me. "Not too heavy, not too light"...!

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 19 Mar 2011, 23:55

I'm wondering if you could paint the indicators for the switches in phosphorescent (glow in the dark) paint?? That way they could 'charge' when light were on, but you could see it glow when the stage lights dimmed. Just a thought. :hmm
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

weemac

Post by weemac » 12 May 2011, 21:15

Hi all!
I'm new to these forums and joined to discuss these wonderful pedals.
I have just contacted Heath (via email) and want to get the Bdrive pedal asap!
I've tried many bass overdrives but I think the Cave pedal are amongst the best I've heard....

Are Cave pedal fans known as Cave Dwellers? :p

emac.
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I woz the chap behind Polymack Basses....