Thumpinator

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
BassLine

Re: Thumpinator

Post by BassLine » 21 Jun 2015, 18:00

Yes, to yours.

If input impedance suits DB piezo, I'm sold. :thumbup:
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

bobbybdazzler

Post by bobbybdazzler » 23 Jun 2015, 10:05

What size case are you going to put it in?
Spector Euro5, Elmo ARB5, Eppi Thunderbird, Czech Bouble Bass
Mesa, Ampeg, Aguilar, Eden, TC Electronics, Orange, Genz Benz, GK, Trace, Line6, Golden Tone.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glitter-G ... 1390275343

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 23 Jun 2015, 13:22

May well be very interested. I have the Thumpinator, It resides on my pedal board. To have one to throw in the back of my rack when not using my board would be cool.

It would also be cool to A/B the Thumpinator with yours.

I'd also like to know what size enclosure you are putting it in.

Cheers
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 23 Jun 2015, 13:46

subscribed!
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Basses: LEJ 5/24
Head: Glockenklang Blue Soul/ Cab: Schroeder 1212
Combo: Hartke Kickback KB12

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 23 Jun 2015, 15:46

Hi Pete,

Yes, a TTC with a Speaker Saver circuit is very possible.

Knobs should be available from Jaycar, Radio Shack, Tandy etc.

Cheers
Heath

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 23 Jun 2015, 15:50

As there is no need for a foot switch, I was thinking... http://www.jaycar.com.au/Enclosures-%26 ... m/p/HB5060

Any complaints?

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 07 Jul 2015, 12:00

Hey Dave (AKA Bobbybdazzler), can you to please confirm and text me your postal address, as I have completed the first HPF.

Please feel free to post internal shots, as well as the obvious outside photos, on this forum.

If this is up to your standards, the YouTube video we talked about before would be great, thanks.

O.K. - This basic HPF has a fixed 40dB cut to frequencies 30Hz and below. This will suit players of both five and four string basses to rid the unnecessary garbage that would normally be allowed through to damage your speakers.

If Dave thinks this is a successful unit with no further development, the price will be $39 (includes P&P).

I'm now going to work on a second unit with 40bD cut with variable frequency cut off control, that I have mentioned in above posts, and then a third "professional" unit with up to 80dB cut with variable frequency controls (for those with degrees in audio engineering... joke).

Cheers
Heath

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » 07 Jul 2015, 12:31

Awesome - I'll be in on one of these Heath. Is it a kit version or an assembled unit?
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg, Tecamp & Aguilar

david1234

Post by david1234 » 07 Jul 2015, 14:18

An odd thought but is there any easy way that you could get one of these to Sydney by Saturday for the GTG?
:yep
O===
/ \

Endorsing artist: Warwick basses, Fender/SWR.

basshack

Post by basshack » 07 Jul 2015, 17:02

I could bring it back with me to Melbourne and get it down to Dave if that helps.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 07 Jul 2015, 18:28

Thanks Guys, but to be honest this is not my ideal design.

Being fixed at a 40dB and 30Hz there are similar issues to the Thumpinator (...so I have read). In some reviews, bass players have complained about a slight loss in signal/frequency. This basic passive design does the same thing.

I have a theory using simple physics... If the speaker is prevented from oscillating as much by removing certain frequencies, it's obvious it isn't pushing as much air, resulting is less volume output.

If possible, use these devices to protect the smaller 12, 10 or 8 inch speakers etc, so the larger speakers still breath. Larger size speakers could use a lower frequency unit, say 10 - 20Hz.

If I'd have thought of it before, I would have completed the R&D on the pro model in time for the GTG.

Sorry
Heath

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 09 Jul 2015, 16:43

O.K. We're now off the paper, pen and equations. Time for real world stuff!

After some intense (and sometimes very confusing) R&D, I have results which were a little unexpected.

Regardless of frequency, whether it be around the 15Hz or 30Hz mark, there will always be a very slight drop in level. I am putting this down to components being placed in the signal chain, even though these components are supposed to only react to unwanted and unnecessary frequencies. However, that being said, I doubt if anyone will hear a drop in volume when playing continuously (not sustained notes for long periods of time, like I sometimes did for test purposes).

Even at 80Hz, the audible frequency loss was barely noticeable; this meaning that the 30Hz cut off certainly is not effecting the audible signal's tone. The changes you do hear are the result of the speakers' lack of movement due to the unwanted frequencies (and possibly the very slight loss in volume due to components).

Having a rotary control, or even a switch, to alter frequencies between 20 and 40 Hz was pointless, as the audible differences were unnoticeable. A fixed 30Hz seems to work extremely well.

So, after all this, what have we got? Well, no need for anything but the 30Hz HPF with a switch to toggle between 20 and 40dB cut (one or two poles). Simples!

It's obvious that the Thumpinator from SFX is a viable piece of kit! You are obviously going to hear differences if the speakers are going to behave in a way as not to break!

The price for my 30Hz/switchable dB High Pass Filter will now be $49 (including P&P). For those who wish to build their own, a kit is available for $39 (including P&P).

Will send off to Dave ASAP.

Thanks
Heath

basshack

Post by basshack » 09 Jul 2015, 16:58

Hi Heath,

I'll take a kit. I have a little bit of space in the NMIT build....

We pay via ??

Cheers
Blaine
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 09 Jul 2015, 16:59

My 2x10 cab is tuned to a quite modest 67Hz... The drivers can go pretty nuts at anything under 50hz...

When I pull 50hz out on my graphic EQ (-12dB), I can't even hear the difference in the slightest.

So , IMO there is definite benefit in having frequency cut offs significantly above 30Hz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 09 Jul 2015, 20:26

PilbaraBass wrote:My 2x10 cab is tuned to a quite modest 67Hz... The drivers can go pretty nuts at anything under 50hz...

When I pull 50hz out on my graphic EQ (-12dB), I can't even hear the difference in the slightest.

So , IMO there is definite benefit in having frequency cut offs significantly above 30Hz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm with Kerry on this. This is one of those situations where the loudspeaker design theory matches my real world tests. I.e. speaker excursion increases rapidly at frequencies below whatever frequency the port is tuned to. And the frequency response drops from the -3dB point at 24 dB per octave.

So in a perfect world, the ideal speaker excursion filter would be 2nd order and tune-able to the same frequency as the port.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546