Thumpinator

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
Cave Passive Pedals

Thumpinator

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 19 Jun 2015, 19:48

Hi Guys,

Here's a link to the famous Thumpinator... http://www.sfxsound.com/microthumpinator/

Dave (AKA Bobbybdazzler) and I were in talks a while back concerning a passive circuit design to save the low end rattle bass speakers can suffer from unnecessarily.

Most circuit designs are active, including the Thumpinator, but after a few attempts to do it passively, I have reason to believe that there is no reason for a powered unit.

A while back, I used a common equation to rid the bass signal of frequencies the human ear has trouble hearing and created a multiple pole (multiple order) passive circuit that prevented my vintage Vase guitar speakers (2 x 25w, from memory) from being damaged by the Fender Bassman head and Jazz bass with the Cave Monster pickup.

Cheap as chips! Aluminium case... variable frequency cut off... easy to use... money back guarantee.

Anyone want more info?

Cheers (and thanks Dave!)
Heath

BigDaddy

Re: Thumpinator

Post by BigDaddy » 19 Jun 2015, 19:52

Sure!
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg & Tecamp

basshack

Post by basshack » 19 Jun 2015, 20:54

Oh yes please...
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 19 Jun 2015, 21:00

I actively support passive pedals by Cave !
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 19 Jun 2015, 21:25

Tell me more. I've toyd with the idea of doing this with a simple RC high pass filter, but was worried about loss of signal strength.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 19 Jun 2015, 21:32

Same here... I know an active Salien-Key or 2nd order Butterworth is an easy thing to construct but love the idea of a passive circuit for such a duty. But am a bit leery of insertion loss

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 19 Jun 2015, 22:06

Yeah. I'd be in it, a local bass player friend has the Thumpinator and loves it, I thought it made a bit of a difference to his sound last time I heard him so I'd be up for one!

BassLine

Thumpinator

Post by BassLine » 19 Jun 2015, 22:19

Hi Heath, Check out the F-Deck... it's a HPF but also a 10 MOhm (?) buffer with phase switch designed for upright basses. Anything above 1 MOhm input should suffice for piezo inputs.

Could you add an optional mute switch?
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 19 Jun 2015, 22:23

Done right, it should make no audible difference to you're sound. The benefit comes from lightening the load on your speakers by removing the frequencies we can't hear, and the speaker has trouble producing. In doing so, you can get a lot more out of the speakers without danger of blowing them.

On ported designs especially, the benefits are enormous.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

bobbybdazzler

Post by bobbybdazzler » 20 Jun 2015, 10:07

Spector Euro5, Elmo ARB5, Eppi Thunderbird, Czech Bouble Bass
Mesa, Ampeg, Eden, TC Electronics, Genz Benz, GK, Trace, Line6, Golden Tone. Ashdown cabs

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glitter-G ... 1390275343

david1234

Post by david1234 » 20 Jun 2015, 11:13

I'm very curious about one. Budgetary pricing would be handy too?
:yep
O===
/ \

Endorsing artist: Warwick basses, Fender/SWR.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 20 Jun 2015, 18:08

To answer some of your questions...

--Price for my Speaker Saver would be around the $59 mark (inc. P&P). (The Thumpinator goes out for around $200 plus P&P.)

--My design is variable from (approximately) 23Hz to 53Hz. This will give enough flexibility for both 4 and 5/6 string basses to cut unnecessary noise from the signal. (Lowest 4 string freq = 41Hz and 5/6 string = 30Hz.)

--As the design is variable, any frequency or dB losses can be fixed by rotating the control knob. (The Thumpinator is fixed at 30Hz.)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Heath

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 20 Jun 2015, 18:16

Cave Passive Pedals wrote:To answer some of your questions...

--My design is variable from (approximately) 23Hz to 53Hz. This will give enough flexibility for both 4 and 5/6 string basses to cut unnecessary noise from the signal. (Lowest 4 string freq = 41Hz and 5/6 string = 30Hz.)

Thanks
Heath
Sounds good. A couple of questions Heath:-

1/ What slope/order are you planning to use?

2/ Are you anticipating any drop in signal level?

Thanks.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 21 Jun 2015, 17:13

BassLine wrote:Hi Heath, Check out the F-Deck... it's a HPF but also a 10 MOhm (?) buffer with phase switch designed for upright basses. Anything above 1 MOhm input should suffice for piezo inputs.

Could you add an optional mute switch?
Mute switch to the F-Deck...? Or did you mean to my design? Either way, yes.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 21 Jun 2015, 17:57

Petebass wrote:
Cave Passive Pedals wrote:To answer some of your questions...

Thanks
Heath
Sounds good. A couple of questions Heath:-

1/ What slope/order are you planning to use?

2/ Are you anticipating any drop in signal level?

Thanks.
The new design is all on paper so far (I had to modify an equation to suit flexibility of frequency adjustment via a VR).

The older design worked extremely well, as in it didn't have any signal drop or suck tone once adjusted properly. Unfortunately, the component values didn't permit sweeping through the necessary frequencies, hence a change in design.

As for the slope, check out http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/fil ... ter_3.html (to give you a rough idea). I may include a slope/dB adjuster... maybe.

The basic HPF is easy to make, as some of you guys already know. A two pole is very effective and will give a good dB cut in the unwanted frequency range (a single pole is pretty useless!). Having a switch to toggle between the 30Hz and 41Hz frequencies would be handy. So, if you decide to build one yourself, please let me know how you go!

Cheers
Heath