Double Bass Pickups And Preamps

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 16 Jun 2015, 17:35

Hi Guys,

I was recently approached by Owen concerning Double Bass pickups.

I suppose the first question would be, is there a place for passive pickups/preamps in this area?

Cheers
Heath

vin-tone

Re: Double Bass Pickups And Preamps

Post by vin-tone » 16 Jun 2015, 18:17

As in... magnetic pickups? or piezo?

Preamps are interesting. My shopping list would be: high input impedance, adjustable HPF, notch filter, possibly a separate EQ, DI out, mute.... and a second channel that does all of the above with a mic preamp. :D
Duesenberg MC Starplayer, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 17 Jun 2015, 13:35

Most DB pickups are passive: piezo, transducer, and magnetic. Which got me thinking whether Heath had any hidden secrets he was hatching in his 'laboratory'? ;)

Perhaps something as simple as an in-line high impedance buffer/tone filter that could tame the 'quack' or sweeten up the dry signal that piezo pickups tend to have.
eg. like how the Grunt pedal fattens the signal from a magnetic pickup in an EB.

Preamps OTOH need plenty of features to buffer & filter, as well as blend, mute, switch and send signal. Maybe even to power some mics. Active seems better suited to this.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 19 Jun 2015, 19:09

Well, it looks like this is a lead balloon!

Sorry guys, too much R&D and no interest. I've been down this road a few times before, being ask by a few guys to get knee deep with designs and expensive parts, only to get zero sales (even from the guys that wanted exactly what I designed!).

The positives are... there are already a ton of choices for Double Bassers.

Thanks guys
Heath

basshack

Post by basshack » 19 Jun 2015, 21:17

Cave Passive Pedals wrote:...

Thanks guys
Heath
I read the threads around preamps and pickups for DB's here and on TB; everyone is always trying one brand out, chopping to another and then another till they find one that suits what they are chasing. The question is always asked which one is the best and everyone thinks that their current one is. I'm glad my Azola has it built in so I don't have to go through that trial. I wonder sometimes whether it might sound better if it were mic'd up or have a different electronics package but then I get a dose of the sensibles. But if I did go down that route it'd have to have lots and lots of options built in.
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 19 Jun 2015, 23:55

Cave Passive Pedals wrote:Well, it looks like this is a lead balloon!

Sorry guys, too much R&D and no interest. I've been down this road a few times before, being ask by a few guys to get knee deep with designs and expensive parts, only to get zero sales (even from the guys that wanted exactly what I designed!).

Thanks guys
Heath
No probs Heath. I originally wondered if you had already designed something. Guess not. :(

Anyone tried any Cave pedals with DB?? The Grunt made my RA Mouse (tapewounds; onboard Fishman Matrix buffer) sound like a Hofner-like hollowbody on steroids, esp with a pick.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer