"The Cave Monster'' Bass Pickup

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
bigswifty

Re: "The Cave Monster'' Bass Pickup

Post by bigswifty » 02 Feb 2015, 15:31

bobbybdazzler wrote:Here is a Demo of the beast, I ran the bass straight in to my trusty Line6 Studio 110 on the Eden emulation and recorded through the camera microphone. My favourite was setting two with the drive and EQ and surprisingly setting four which is the compressor setting. Its defiantly not a slap or heavily squished type of comp but more your old sustain pedal type, nice meaty sound, I liked it.

http://youtu.be/_sqdM8Nj-0Q
Really interesting. Thanks for posting!
Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

basshack

Post by basshack » 06 May 2015, 11:42

PM in your inbox Heath!
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 06 May 2015, 16:32

Whoa - that is awesome. Congratulations Heath!!

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 18 May 2015, 10:34

Hey Guys,

Blaine has now sent me the pickup shells and measurements to complete the potting of the internals.

The only issue now is... due to the three settings of impedance required by Blaine, accessed by a three way rotary switch (Jazz, Grunt and Monster), the on-board effects of drive and compression will not be activated correctly with the lower output.

I am now in the process of designing a circuit to disable the effects from the lower output settings, which will also simplify the use of extra controls (that should also keep Blaine smiling, as he's limited on space in the routed control cavity on his build).

Blaine, if you could just give me a little time to get this 100% correct, that would be great.

Cheers
Heath

basshack

Post by basshack » 18 May 2015, 10:53

Hi Heath,

You can have as much time as you need. This is a development that others will want so it's going to be worth the wait to get it right.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 30 May 2015, 14:45

Hi Blaine,

A few problems...

--The veneer on one of the pup casings was obviously thinner than the others and hence, when the internals were potted, the casting resin leaked through... sorry. (Maybe skim off and replace with another veneer...?)

--Because of the impedance selections you required, a few changes have had to be made to the original design...

Firstly, the original treble cut/bass cut tone control design has to go and will now be replaced with a standard treble cut tone (as with normal passive basses). This being said, due to a massive array of impedance selections available to you, you'll still get some very impressive tonal colourations.

Secondly, the best way to get the most out of the three pickups in all FOUR impedance settings, is to use large resistance volume pots; this prevents any frequency losses. However, as with most Cave effects, the volume controls will have to be wired in REVERSE. If you are opposed to this, then there will be no alternative but to use smaller values and lose said frequencies.

Thirdly, without an extra switch for the compression circuit and extra space (which I know you are limited on), there's no way I can accommodate the compressor, sorry.

--The DRIVE control will not work on all impedance settings, only the higher gain outputs. If you decide to drop the volume on the pickups, again this will result in less overdrive. I have also used a different value capacitor in the tone circuit to get some wild variations, this will also lessen the overdrive effect.

Hope this doesn't cause you too much stress!

Cheers
Heath
P.S. There were three impedance settings, but as mentioned above, I have added a fourth; this allows the crystal clear, low output pickups themselves to shine!

basshack

Post by basshack » 30 May 2015, 22:04

Hi Heath,

Doesn't stress me at all. I am enjoying being part of all this creativity this year. Being involved in my own build watching Michael and Ben build theirs, the whole class in fact and being part of your Monster design work has really enriched my life.

The veneers were as thin as we dared make them so they were as un-intrusive as possible, so maybe we went too close. I have some very nice veneer I was going to use for the ramp/thumb rest and so now it'll be the pup covers as well. As long as we don't tell anybody no-one will know.

When you say reverse volume you mean counter clockwise gets louder? Like I wired up the left leg of the pot rather than the right? I can cope with that.

I still have the same number of holes? I'm sort of committed to a minimum number now. Can put more it but not less. It's difficult to un-hole a hole.

Looking forward to see the results of all this hard work.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 31 May 2015, 21:50

basshack wrote:Hi Heath,

Doesn't stress me at all. I am enjoying being part of all this creativity this year. Being involved in my own build watching Michael and Ben build theirs, the whole class in fact and being part of your Monster design work has really enriched my life.

The veneers were as thin as we dared make them so they were as un-intrusive as possible, so maybe we went too close. I have some very nice veneer I was going to use for the ramp/thumb rest and so now it'll be the pup covers as well. As long as we don't tell anybody no-one will know.

When you say reverse volume you mean counter clockwise gets louder? Like I wired up the left leg of the pot rather than the right? I can cope with that.

I still have the same number of holes? I'm sort of committed to a minimum number now. Can put more it but not less. It's difficult to un-hole a hole.

Looking forward to see the results of all this hard work.
Total knobs: pickup volumes (x three), impedance rotary switch (4 position), drive, tone and master volume. Anything else...?

basshack

Post by basshack » 31 May 2015, 22:11

Nope. 7 is good.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 01 Jun 2015, 13:04

Thanks Blaine.

The only other issue I can see is that the spacing of the pickups will be too close together to get the designed tonal benefits.

Aesthetically, yes, looks great, but the problem maybe that the string frequency is too similar over all pickups. By dialling in another pickup could have the effect of just altering impedance, voltage etc. This will give a drastic change in colouration but not what I would call desirable.

Unfortunately, I believe that this situation has occurred many times with bass/guitar manufacturers... aesthetics vs function.

I guess we'll see when you play your new bass!

Heath

basshack

Post by basshack » 01 Jun 2015, 14:34

Hi Heath,

Deliberately closer together in the design and not so much form over function. I play predominately over the neck side rather than at the bridge so I have shuffled them forward to get more of the tone I tend to prefer rather than more of what I don't tend to use. You get more of the fundamental when you are closer to the neck so I have measured out to capture that.

Good thing about all this is that if I don't get what I like then I can rout it out and do it again!

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 10 Jun 2015, 12:57

basshack wrote:Hi Heath,

Deliberately closer together in the design and not so much form over function. I play predominately over the neck side rather than at the bridge so I have shuffled them forward to get more of the tone I tend to prefer rather than more of what I don't tend to use. You get more of the fundamental when you are closer to the neck so I have measured out to capture that.

Good thing about all this is that if I don't get what I like then I can rout it out and do it again!
Ah hah! So that is your master plan... cool. I thought you had an OCD problem and liked things at certain angles and in straight lines (glad I never said that one out loud!).

All jokes aside, your pickups should arrive today (unless they go walkabout like some of the other stuff).

Good luck with finishing off your bass, Blaine.
Heath

basshack

Post by basshack » 10 Jun 2015, 16:15

Yes there is method in the madness but I'm not so much OCD as CDO (the letters have to be alphabetically correct)

Started on the neck shaping last night at class and have taken it home in the chance I'll find time to work on it before next week.

basshack

Post by basshack » 11 Jun 2015, 08:39

Got the package when I went back to the office on the way to band rehearsal last night. Got to say it was like Xmas again. Was late getting into the space because I just had to unwrap the box of toys. I'll share the photos and stuff with you guys shortly on what Heath has provided to put this all together. I am very impressed with the connection drawing, you just can't get it wrong. Space wise it isn't going to be an issue at all, it should layout with plenty of room to spare but again I'll share that a bit later down the track as it goes together on my other build thread. From the Monster Bass prototype to this means you can have this in a standard jazz pocket I expect. Again I have a Warmoth at home that is going to be the Monster Pup bass for everyone to try out and I'll put the components into it's routing to show you how small the packages are now. Much easier to retrofit.

Those of you who read about the potting compound leaking through the pup cover and being horribly messy well lets say it's nothing like I imagined it to be. Looks like a bit of water staining on the wood. We'll have a look at it on Tuesday night with the master but I am still playing around with the ramp arrangement and these can easily be veneered to match the ramp and no one will know there was an issue. :thumbup:

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 16 Jun 2015, 11:40

Hi Blaine,

So glad the damage was minimal! There was nothing I could do to stop the leak; I didn't know it had happened until it was semi dry and I could move it.

Have you done any more to your bass, yet? Hope the pickups are suitable.

Cheers
Heath