"The Cave Monster'' Bass Pickup

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
Cave Passive Pedals

Re: "The Cave Monster'' Bass Pickup

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 07 Jan 2015, 15:52

basshack wrote::partydance: A fretless mean and dirty rock machine?
Hi Blaine,

I've started making three pickups for a four string bass... do you want me to modify these pickups for a five stringer before it's too late?

Cheers
Heath

basshack

Post by basshack » 07 Jan 2015, 16:12

Yes please Heath. 4 string for the demo unit and 5 string for the fretless. :thumbup: :hyper:
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 09 Jan 2015, 16:12

Hi Dave,

Bass sent off today. If you can please let me know when she arrives in Victoria, thanks.

Cheers
Heath

basshack

Post by basshack » 09 Jan 2015, 17:07

:partydance: Getting closer...

Dave when you've done the recordings, if it's okay with you, I'll come down to pick it up. I have friends in Port Arlington that we are seeing in a few weeks and I'd like to have a look at and chat about Elmo if possible.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 11 Jan 2015, 11:26

Hi Guys,

Have just designed a slightly more "active" (still passive, don't panic!) tone control; higher frequency has more volume and vibrancy to it (sounds like a hair salon product!).

I will continue to develop the tone and drive circuits only, as I believe that most professional players will not require on board effects such as oct-up and compression; the professional will probably have pedals or amps to do those jobs (am I wrong?).

So, what I believe to be the correct path to follow is: a pickup that works well as one, two or three units, a single tone with high degree of malleability and a drive control. That setup gives 5 knobs maximum.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Thanks
Heath

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 12 Jan 2015, 13:46

Have tested my Monster pickup on one of Eden's (Weemac's) Polymack eight stringers that he builds. Looks like the Monster is a monster!

On most basses, when the volume control is turned up , the treble starts to roll off and the tone gets fatter; this reminds me of how the Monsters are working.

To my ears, it just sounds like the volume is being turned up to eleven (Spinal Tap), in comparison to the standard pups; the bass gets bigger etc.

The tone control that I have designed for the Monster can bring back some of the higher frequencies and will cut the bass, if necessary, still keeping the big tone. So, there is a lot of room to move tone wise, but if you like thin sounding pups, or like playing slap, these are not for you.

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 12 Jan 2015, 13:56

Hi Heath, sounds like you're on a winner. How do you think these would sound on a fretless? I'm assuming the "MWAH" wouldn't be lost?

Andy

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 12 Jan 2015, 14:43

SpankyAndy wrote:Hi Heath, sounds like you're on a winner. How do you think these would sound on a fretless? I'm assuming the "MWAH" wouldn't be lost?

Andy
Hopefully, great sounding, but I guess we'll find out when Blaine completes his project!

weemac

Post by weemac » 12 Jan 2015, 22:13

Cave Passive Pedals wrote:Hi Guys,

Have just designed a slightly more "active" (still passive, don't panic!) tone control; higher frequency has more volume and vibrancy to it (sounds like a hair salon product!).

I will continue to develop the tone and drive circuits only, as I believe that most professional players will not require on board effects such as oct-up and compression; the professional will probably have pedals or amps to do those jobs (am I wrong?).

So, what I believe to be the correct path to follow is: a pickup that works well as one, two or three units, a single tone with high degree of malleability and a drive control. That setup gives 5 knobs maximum.

Thanks
Heath
For my purposes, I'd use the pickup as a secondary pickup with its own output to drive another amp, so I would consider the octave and other options for special effects. The normal pickup would be the basic tone and the monster would get turned on and off as required. A polished monster cover would well complement the standard polymack pickup too.
Heath where did you fit the monster in the polymack? As a secondary pickup or in the original neck pickup position?

Eden.
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I woz the chap behind Polymack Basses....

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 13 Jan 2015, 11:35

weemac wrote:
Cave Passive Pedals wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks
Heath
For my purposes, I'd use the pickup as a secondary pickup with its own output to drive another amp, so I would consider the octave and other options for special effects. The normal pickup would be the basic tone and the monster would get turned on and off as required. A polished monster cover would well complement the standard polymack pickup too.
Heath where did you fit the monster in the polymack? As a secondary pickup or in the original neck pickup position?

Eden.
Mentioned a while ago to Blaine, if he wanted a polished alloy pickup, but he said he preferred not to go down that avenue. Made it easier for me, as I sold the majority of my tools when I separated. I do reckon though, that a shiny pup would indeed look fantastic!

To test the Monster on your bass, I just positioned it above the strings, on supports (which could be an alternative to routing...? Similar look to chrome covers, or horse shoe magnet pups).

Eden, I'm not game to rout your baby without your permission!

Cheers
Heath

basshack

Post by basshack » 17 Jan 2015, 20:19

PM waiting for you Heath.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 20 Jan 2015, 16:34

Eden's just given me the go ahead to modify his Polymack 8 stringer! Thanks mate, I have chainsaw and knife ready!!!

I had a thought about the way the Monster pickup works for a four string bass (each string has its own coil) and I may use an extra coil for each of the extra octave strings, to possibly clean up tone and separate frequencies... maybe.

The way I'm predicting the coil's operation at the moment is that the two strings played simultaneously (standard and octave) may be having an adverse effect; the coil's picking up a confused signal, say... 440Hz plus octave at 880Hz. By building a fan-dangled set up, maybe I can create a better sounding system to do Eden's bass more justice.

Anyway, I'll get the oscilloscope out and have a tinker, when I've got a bit of time.

Cheers
Heath

basshack

Post by basshack » 20 Jan 2015, 17:13

Cave Passive Pedals wrote:Eden's just given me the go ahead to modify his Polymack 8 stringer! Thanks mate, I have chainsaw and knife ready!!!

I had a thought about the way the Monster pickup works for a four string bass (each string has its own coil) and I may use an extra coil for each of the extra octave strings, to possibly clean up tone and separate frequencies... maybe.

The way I'm predicting the coil's operation at the moment is that the two strings played simultaneously (standard and octave) may be having an adverse effect; the coil's picking up a confused signal, say... 440Hz plus octave at 880Hz. By building a fan-dangled set up, maybe I can create a better sounding system to do Eden's bass more justice.

Anyway, I'll get the oscilloscope out and have a tinker, when I've got a bit of time.

Cheers
Heath
My NS Upright had two pick ups for each string, one larger and one smaller. Always thought that was for different frequencies. My son and I were pondering the same sort of thing last night as to why we don't have separate output for each coil on each string. Less compromise that way.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 26 Jan 2015, 17:10

basshack wrote:
Cave Passive Pedals wrote:Eden's just given me the go ahead to modify his Polymack 8 stringer! Thanks mate, I have chainsaw and knife ready!!!

Cheers
Heath
My NS Upright had two pick ups for each string, one larger and one smaller. Always thought that was for different frequencies. My son and I were pondering the same sort of thing last night as to why we don't have separate output for each coil on each string. Less compromise that way.
I've checked the distance between each set of strings (standard and octave) and there's definitely enough space to get the magnetic material (turned parallel, not perpendicular like the Monster-0001) under each, hopefully without too much crosstalk. The individual coils would have to be staggered to fit, but even with a slightly oversized pickup it should be worth it... or not???

Was also thinking that the oct-up or a bass cut circuits could be used to enhance string separation. Be really good to find a genuinely useful purpose for the BMR! (Eden, your thoughts...?)

Cheers
Heath

bobbybdazzler

Post by bobbybdazzler » 01 Feb 2015, 13:38

Here is a Demo of the beast, I ran the bass straight in to my trusty Line6 Studio 110 on the Eden emulation and recorded through the camera microphone. My favourite was setting two with the drive and EQ and surprisingly setting four which is the compressor setting. Its defiantly not a slap or heavily squished type of comp but more your old sustain pedal type, nice meaty sound, I liked it.

http://youtu.be/_sqdM8Nj-0Q
Spector Euro5, Elmo ARB5, Eppi Thunderbird, Czech Bouble Bass
Mesa, Ampeg, Eden, TC Electronics, Genz Benz, GK, Trace, Line6, Golden Tone. Ashdown cabs

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glitter-G ... 1390275343