Mechanical indicator diy repair

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
jpr_musicman

Mechanical indicator diy repair

Post by jpr_musicman » 10 Dec 2014, 09:16

Hi guys. How everyone is well and playing plenty. I am about to send my TVTR to Heath for some repair on the mechanical indicators. As I use the pedal daily, I I needed to repair the indicators myself so I could keep using the pedal until the end of my contract, so for your reference, in case you have a similar problem, or just for interest, here is my temporary fix...

This was my problem, the arm holding the little Pearl broke at the bend...
Rather tricky to repair without the right tools. What I did was to use the inside of a ball point pen, cut it top the appropriate length (the end with no ink of cause) and then put a slit in if to create an angle...
This then slotted on the renaming part of the indicator so that when I'm the off position it would rest pretty much flush with in the hole (I coloured the top of it black so the hole appears empty)

Now when off, it looks similar to normal, when on, there is a protrusion from the indicator hole.
This isn't nearly as nice as the original, but has served to indicate pedal condition for many months now. I'll be glad when it's repaired, but this fix, which took very little time and cost nothing, kept everything working great.

required parts... 1x old ball point pen, pair of scissors, black marker.

There we have it. :)
James Russell
Cave Passive Pedals Endorser
Corporate Sell-out (cruise ships)

Aussie Mark

Re: Mechanical indicator diy repair

Post by Aussie Mark » 10 Dec 2014, 09:26

McGyver!

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 06 Jan 2015, 14:53

Hi James,

Have received your pedal safely. Will get to work on it ASAP! Are there any mods you need?

Cheers
Heath

jpr_musicman

Post by jpr_musicman » 07 Jan 2015, 08:22

Ah good to hear it's arrived safely. Thanks for giving it your attention. Unless you would like make any changes to it, I think it was working just fine for me, so just in need of a little tlc on those indicators. I have 4 weeks until I'm back to work so it would be great to have it back by then. Cheers.
James Russell

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 07 Jan 2015, 15:30

jpr_musicman wrote:Ah good to hear it's arrived safely. Thanks for giving it your attention. Unless you would like make any changes to it, I think it was working just fine for me, so just in need of a little tlc on those indicators. I have 4 weeks until I'm back to work so it would be great to have it back by then. Cheers.
Hi James,

All done (what a nightmare!).

Gave it a quick service/clean and fixed faulty "sat" toggle switch. Also, resoldered every foot switch wire!

If you can just turn/flick all controls once a week, that should make sure there's no dry tracks/connections in the future.

Will send ASAP, with the other pedals.

Cheers
Heath

jpr_musicman

Post by jpr_musicman » 08 Jan 2015, 20:55

Heath, you're a legend. Thanks for putting the time in.

I'm a set and forget sort of guy so in general the controls stay put, unless they get knocked (pots in particular) or am playing something out of the ordinary. I'll make sure to move all regularly to keep it in good condition.

I look forward to getting it back.

(Your monster bass looks great btw. Wish I could implement one, maybe when/if I ever replace my bass)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
James Russell

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 08 Jan 2015, 23:33

So, James, do I send to the address on the bag you sent your pedal in, the UK address?

Can you PM me the correct address, please.

Cheers
Heath

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 09 Jan 2015, 10:48

Cave Passive Pedals wrote:So, James, do I send to the address on the bag you sent your pedal in, the UK address?

Can you PM me the correct address, please.

Cheers
Heath
That was close, nearly sent to the UK instead of USA! Missed by a whisker!

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 09 Jan 2015, 16:09

Hi James,

All three pedals now sent off (your TVTR, the Induction Drive and your shiny, new A/B box).

I sent package via express post with tracking, insurance and signature required.

Please let me know when it arrives in Texas... home of the gun slinger!

Cheers
Heath

jpr_musicman

Post by jpr_musicman » 10 Jan 2015, 03:19

Fantastic. I look forward to receiving the package. Glad you got the address in time, it would have got to me in the end tho, just traveled round the world a couple of times.
James Russell

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 18 Feb 2015, 10:17

Hi James,

Have you received your pedals yet?

Cheers
Heath

jpr_musicman

Post by jpr_musicman » 18 Feb 2015, 11:28

Hey Heath. I've reopened the case with usps twice, and was in the phone with a very nice lady today who has opened a third case re the matter. But so far, no luck. They do not seem to know where it is although think it's on its way back to you, they can't give a definite answer. I'm not giving up yet and if I don't hear anything will be on the phone again in a couple of days.
James Russell