Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
User avatar
BigDaddy
Posts: 309
Joined: 19 May 2014, 08:58
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by BigDaddy » 20 Jan 2015, 16:23

Mine arrived today - had it all soldered up & fitted in about 30mins. I trimmed the pot stems like Dave did but didn't paint the enclosure...I highlighted the punched lettering green & gold to reflect a great Aussie product.

It sounds awesome on my Ray4 with flats and will test it out on the J bas tonight at practice. I would definitely recommend it as a kit if you have decent soldering skills. ..fantastic value for money.

Thanks again Heath!!

Will post a pic when I clean up the highlighted lettering
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg & Tecamp

Cave Passive Pedals
Posts: 534
Joined: 29 Apr 2011, 11:13

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 26 Jan 2015, 10:31

BigDaddy wrote:Mine arrived today - had it all soldered up & fitted in about 30mins. I trimmed the pot stems like Dave did but didn't paint the enclosure...I highlighted the punched lettering green & gold to reflect a great Aussie product.

It sounds awesome on my Ray4 with flats and will test it out on the J bas tonight at practice. I would definitely recommend it as a kit if you have decent soldering skills. ..fantastic value for money.

Thanks again Heath!!

Will post a pic when I clean up the highlighted lettering
Glad you're happy, Simon. Be interesting to see the green and gold, very Australia Day!

User avatar
BigDaddy
Posts: 309
Joined: 19 May 2014, 08:58
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by BigDaddy » 26 Jan 2015, 13:41

Hi Heath - here it is......must say I love it and so do the other band members. Very versatile++

Thanks again for the kit version!

Image
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg & Tecamp

Cave Passive Pedals
Posts: 534
Joined: 29 Apr 2011, 11:13

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 26 Jan 2015, 16:55

BigDaddy wrote:Hi Heath - here it is......must say I love it and so do the other band members. Very versatile++

Thanks again for the kit version!

Image
Very Australian, indeed!

I'm getting used to the idea of these kits, as it's great to see other's angle on customizing, instead of just my ideas.

So, you're running all other effects into the Grunt?

User avatar
BigDaddy
Posts: 309
Joined: 19 May 2014, 08:58
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by BigDaddy » 26 Jan 2015, 18:12

I have it sitting in this order at present:

Compressor
MXR Envelope Filter
Big Muff
Grunt
Octave

I don't tend to combine effects too often.......I haven't seen anything untoward to my ears yet
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg & Tecamp

User avatar
bobbybdazzler
Posts: 463
Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 14:15
Location: Geelong
Contact:

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by bobbybdazzler » 26 Jan 2015, 18:54

I've foun the Grunt works best when run first in line but can be more subtle run further down the line, love the green and gold.
Spector Euro5, Elmo ARB5, Eppi Thunderbird, Czech Bouble Bass
Mesa, Ampeg, Eden, TC Electronics, Genz Benz, GK, Trace, Line6, Golden Tone. Ashdown cabs

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glitter-G ... 1390275343

User avatar
BigDaddy
Posts: 309
Joined: 19 May 2014, 08:58
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by BigDaddy » 26 Jan 2015, 20:28

It absolutely rumbles and sits so nicely in the mix - we did an extended version of "Rockin in the free world" last night (using my jazz) that was fabulously gritty. Drummer commented on the tone and asked what I'd changed...he loved it.

I also ran it flat out on my Ray4 playing a couple drop D numbers....monstrous! !! :partydance:

I'll play around with the position in the board and see how it reacts - given it is passive, should there be much difference if it is the only pedal "on?"
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg & Tecamp

Cave Passive Pedals
Posts: 534
Joined: 29 Apr 2011, 11:13

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 27 Jan 2015, 10:17

BigDaddy wrote:It absolutely rumbles and sits so nicely in the mix - we did an extended version of "Rockin in the free world" last night (using my jazz) that was fabulously gritty. Drummer commented on the tone and asked what I'd changed...he loved it.

I also ran it flat out on my Ray4 playing a couple drop D numbers....monstrous! !! :partydance:

I'll play around with the position in the board and see how it reacts - given it is passive, should there be much difference if it is the only pedal "on?"
I reckon that the buffers in the powered pedals that stay on, even in bypass mode, should work well with the Grunt; any impedance issues from any bass pickup should be eliminated.

Have you tried the Grunt without any other effects plugged in?

User avatar
BigDaddy
Posts: 309
Joined: 19 May 2014, 08:58
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by BigDaddy » 27 Jan 2015, 11:09

Yes, but only thru my small practice amp rather than my rig. I can do that tonight at practice....what should I be looking for? I'll have the compressor on though.
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg & Tecamp

Cave Passive Pedals
Posts: 534
Joined: 29 Apr 2011, 11:13

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 27 Jan 2015, 12:39

BigDaddy wrote:Yes, but only thru my small practice amp rather than my rig. I can do that tonight at practice....what should I be looking for? I'll have the compressor on though.
Just make sure that the unit boosts (turn volume fully counter clockwise) and that the tone thickens up and loses "twangy-ness". For that test, make sure the compressor is off.

Sounds like you've got the sound you're looking for though, with the effects chain you have. Glad the Grunt is working for you.

User avatar
BigDaddy
Posts: 309
Joined: 19 May 2014, 08:58
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by BigDaddy » 28 Jan 2015, 15:30

It does exactly what you have said here Heath......I didn't notice any appreciable loss of tone running it in various iterations from stand alone to compressor to the full board. It is exactly what I was looking for.
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg & Tecamp

Cave Passive Pedals
Posts: 534
Joined: 29 Apr 2011, 11:13

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 29 Jan 2015, 14:51

Hi Nick,

Your pedal's tracking number is 600 130 683 160 91. Can you let me know when it arrives safely, please?

Cheers
Heath

User avatar
narcdor
Posts: 3308
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 16:36
Location: Melbourne

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by narcdor » 29 Jan 2015, 15:27

Will do!
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

User avatar
narcdor
Posts: 3308
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 16:36
Location: Melbourne

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by narcdor » 04 Feb 2015, 13:07

Package delivered, all good, thanks Heath! Will let you know how I get on with it. A trip to Jaycar is in order on the way home I think...
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

Cave Passive Pedals
Posts: 534
Joined: 29 Apr 2011, 11:13

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 28 Feb 2015, 12:58

Hi Bazz,

The kit is an easy DIY project, just a handful of wires to solder.

As for your Sans Amp problem... It's funny how it comes and goes. As you don't have access to the proper equipment... testing for loose earths - I know this isn't the normal procedure, but tap or bang lightly on floor and see if it goes away. It could be as simple as a dry joint or bad earth.

Cheers
Heath

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest