Pedal Testing

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
Cave Passive Pedals

Pedal Testing

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 09 Nov 2014, 00:37

Hi Everyone...

So, we're testing pedals... again, and things don't sound like the results Aussie Mark, Weemac and a few other endorsers get... why?

Yeah, I know, you guys "ain't stoopid", but there might just be a few things that some of you are not familiar with when it comes to the Cave design of pedals.

--Most of the time, the volume control on our effect pedals is wired backwards.

--Try using the pedal with only a bass guitar (volume and tones up full) and an amp (and good quality leads). This will prevent any other pedals in an effects chain influencing impedances or tone frequencies.

--Passive pickups sometimes work better than active, but not always. Try several bass types with different settings.

--Turn tone controls on amp to zero or max, if "tone stack". This will make sure all of the pedal design tone features are heard, then adjust according to taste.

I'll add to this list later, when memory kicks in.

One of the most common problems when trying new equipment out, that I've found, is to assume the best tone will be acquired with your favourite settings on your amp or bass, this is not true. Remember, a new piece of equipment can enhance your tonal dynamics and totally change perspectives, and thinking afresh may start new images.

Thanks
Heath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOgjwFYMqPA -- Some of the songs on this album use Cave pedals. The last song would not have been as energetic without the Grunt on bass.
Last edited by Cave Passive Pedals on 11 Nov 2014, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

weemac

Re: Pedal Testing

Post by weemac » 09 Nov 2014, 13:20

Some amps and basses definitely work better than others on different Cave pedals.
My musicman (when I had one) sounded great through a grunt pedal with massive boost available but it sounded fairly nasty on most other cave pedals.
Oddly enough a T-40 seems to work with any cave pedal to great effect..

A high input impedence in your amp can give weak results too..

Eden.
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I woz the chap behind Polymack Basses....

Cave Passive Pedals

Re: Pedal Testing

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 09 Nov 2014, 19:57

Memory kicked in...

--Also, string type can make a difference.

I remember Mark, or Eden, talking about flatwounds not "pushing" the pedal's circuitry as much as rounds. This would make sense, as the string's construction needs to oscillate the magnetic field created by the pickup's magnets through the wire coil efficiently.

Basically, a pickup is generator, and that's what drives the Cave pedal's guts. Unlike conventional effect pedals that have a power source that can be used to increase tiny voltages and power buffered inputs, our circuits need the correct amount of voltage and impedance parameters, which we've designed around the most common of passive basses.

Cheers
Heath