Tube Tone Compression

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
Cave Passive Pedals

Tube Tone Compression

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 05 Oct 2014, 14:20

Hey Guys'

Today, I finished the compression pedal that a lot of players have been inquiring about, the Tube Tone Compression (TTC for short).

Yes, the TTC was designed and released in 2012, but I think its complexity as a multi-channel pedal put a few players off (due to the cost, large casing and too many knobs!).

When Mark gives me the go ahead, I'll send the unit to him for it's first review and then our second Tour Of Duty will commence.

**Just a quick heads up on the TTC's function (you can also check out the older TTC threads, or watch the demonstration videos -- http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9885 https://www.facebook.com/CavePassivePedals)...

-Simplicity... one volume knob, one compression knob.

-Should work with both passive and active pickups (as with Spencerbassman's active Fender demo video on our Facebook page).

-With less compression dialled in, starts boosting similar to Grunt.

-Grunt DNA, hence the "Tube Tone".

Cheers
Heath
Last edited by Cave Passive Pedals on 08 Oct 2014, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

rodl2005

Re: Tube Tone Compression

Post by rodl2005 » 05 Oct 2014, 17:07

Sounds cool. I look fwd to trying it. Always on the lookout for a good, simple comp.
Mean & Surly

Soong

Post by Soong » 05 Oct 2014, 20:19

I'm a newbie to comp but I'm very interested...

Does this act like a conventional comp with ratio DB cutting? I'm after something to control the spikes of slap playing. And what does tube comp mean? Originally I was looking at the SFX boutique pedal brand because they managed to make a bass specific comp in a tiny 1590a housing. Pedalboard real estate is a big deal for me :)
Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

weemac

Post by weemac » 06 Oct 2014, 08:44

Fascinating..... :popcorn:

Can't wait!

Eden.
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I woz the chap behind Polymack Basses....

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 06 Oct 2014, 09:04

Please add me to the tour list when it happens!
Gear:Fender I QSC I Bergantino I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses:Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Sadowsky I Warmoth l Squier

Bands:Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 06 Oct 2014, 21:37

Soong wrote:I'm a newbie to comp but I'm very interested...

Does this act like a conventional comp with ratio DB cutting? I'm after something to control the spikes of slap playing. And what does tube comp mean? Originally I was looking at the SFX boutique pedal brand because they managed to make a bass specific comp in a tiny 1590a housing. Pedalboard real estate is a big deal for me :)
Probably not too good for slap techniques, more like a Grunt compressed, hence "Tube Tone" (if you're not familiar with the Grunt, just read the relevant threads)... but please, test it out and give your feedback.

If left ON permanently, amp can be adjusted to boost/cut those frequencies altered, that's what I just did with my limited slap style (more like "slop"!).

We can make these with a 1590A casing for those, like yourself, with limited space, but the Tour Of Duty pedal will be a 1590B size.

I was just mentioning to Aussie Mark, that although this is definitely a compressor of volume (tested on oscilloscope), the circuit also evens out the tone differences caused by soft and hard playing techniques... a "squashed" Grunt tone, as mentioned above.

With passive Jazz pickups, there is NO volume loss when compression is fully ON (unlike my Fender Bassman's compression circuit) and the unit starts to boost when the compression is wound off. A volume knob allows for output level control.

The circuit can be modified to achieve more compression but volume loss occurs (which was a really BIG deal when we established Cave Passive Pedals back in 2009).

Cheers
Heath

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 09 Oct 2014, 13:03

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

pete

Post by pete » 09 Oct 2014, 20:54

That thing looks so good, I couldn't give a stuff what it did in the signal chain. Where do I sign?

Wokeye

Post by Wokeye » 20 Sep 2015, 21:25

Hey folks, is this pedal still available for purchase somewhere? I cannot find any details.
Lissarague custom 4-string
Genz Benz GBE 1200 + MarkBass CL104
Current band: Oneproudmonkey http://oneproudmonkey.com/