Tour of duty thread: Cave Passive Pedals INDUCTION DRIVE

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
Aussie Mark

Re: Tour of duty thread: Cave Passive Pedals INDUCTION DRIVE

Post by Aussie Mark » 16 Jul 2014, 09:02

The pedal is on the way to DagwoodDawg now.

My report:

I tested the ID pedal with three different basses, all into my Genz Benz Streamliner. Bass tested were a Nash P bass with a regular split Lollar, a Nash tele bass with a single coil Lollar, and a Gibson SG RI with the stock neck TB-Plus humbucker and bridge mini-humbucker.

As per Heath's recommendation, I used the pedal in the effects loop of the amp (and I also used it in the signal chain to compare).

As soon as you hit the switch, the ID pedal immediately has that familiar Cave warmth and tone fullness. There's no doubting at all that it's from the same family. The two tone controls have a surprisingly wide range of influence on the available sounds from this pedal - from gentle warm tube-like harmonics, to almost synth like chorus.

To get the full impact of this pedal you have to run it in the effects loop - running direct in the signal chain there is only minimal drive available. I found the pedal worked equally well for the split and single coil P bass pickups, although there was a slightly noticeable volume drop when using the Gibson humbuckers.

I am fortunate to own quite a few different incarnations of Cave drive pedals, and to be honest, because I'm basically a meat and potatoes type of bass player and don't have a knack for dissecting tones and identifying slight differences between minor tweaking (I'm pretty much a "set and forget" person when it comes to tone knobs) I personally can't see where this pedal would fit for my needs - the Cave TVTR, B-Drive, and the custom "Aussie Mark" Grunt pedals I already have are more than enough for the boost and drive tones I need. However, based on the reports from other players in this thread, there are plenty of people out there who are able to utilise and who require a range of different tones from a pedal like this, so I reckon this pedal should have a ready market. For someone who doesn't own a tube amp, or who often uses hired solid state backline and wants to add instant warm tone with some overdrive on tap, the ID pedal would be a no-brainer.

I like the design of the case, but I'm not particularly sold on the colour scheme - I prefer the plain unfinished Cave cases, or the plain white powder coated cases. That said, perhaps the option to offer pedals either unfinished or for a few dollars more painted like this ID pedal in colour/s chosen by the customer at the time of ordering might be a cool marketing tool.

In summary, if I didn't already own the other aforementioned Cave pedals I'd buy one of these.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 17 Jul 2014, 08:27

I'm looking forward to my go with this. trying to work out how/if there is a need in my current set up. I'm using a Pedal board based around a VT bass deluxe mainly at the moment, driving either a Powered wedge or PLX1804 into a NV412. I don't have an effects loop with my board. From the Compression attributes people are noticing with the ID - I'm wondering if it could replace a Compressor on my board while adding tube like qualities at the same time?

I'm wondering how this pedal would go as an always on in the effects loop of my Sunn 1200s? I've tried a couple of things in the effects loop of that amp with varying success. I used a Microverb which didn't seem to play nicely, But I used a Joyo Ultimate Drive too which sounded good but I had to run the level higher that I would if using it line to achieve unity gain. Not sure why that was?

Looking forward to receiving the ID regardless
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

dagwood dawg

Post by dagwood dawg » 18 Jul 2014, 16:58

The Induction drive has arrived here safe and sound :)

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 18 Jul 2014, 17:19

Aussie Mark wrote:The pedal is on the way to DagwoodDawg now.

My report:

I tested the ID pedal with three different basses, all into my Genz Benz Streamliner. Bass tested were a Nash P bass with a regular split Lollar, a Nash tele bass with a single coil Lollar, and a Gibson SG RI with the stock neck TB-Plus humbucker and bridge mini-humbucker.

As per Heath's recommendation, I used the pedal in the effects loop of the amp (and I also used it in the signal chain to compare).

As soon as you hit the switch, the ID pedal immediately has that familiar Cave warmth and tone fullness. There's no doubting at all that it's from the same family. The two tone controls have a surprisingly wide range of influence on the available sounds from this pedal - from gentle warm tube-like harmonics, to almost synth like chorus.

To get the full impact of this pedal you have to run it in the effects loop - running direct in the signal chain there is only minimal drive available. I found the pedal worked equally well for the split and single coil P bass pickups, although there was a slightly noticeable volume drop when using the Gibson humbuckers.

I am fortunate to own quite a few different incarnations of Cave drive pedals, and to be honest, because I'm basically a meat and potatoes type of bass player and don't have a knack for dissecting tones and identifying slight differences between minor tweaking (I'm pretty much a "set and forget" person when it comes to tone knobs) I personally can't see where this pedal would fit for my needs - the Cave TVTR, B-Drive, and the custom "Aussie Mark" Grunt pedals I already have are more than enough for the boost and drive tones I need. However, based on the reports from other players in this thread, there are plenty of people out there who are able to utilise and who require a range of different tones from a pedal like this, so I reckon this pedal should have a ready market. For someone who doesn't own a tube amp, or who often uses hired solid state backline and wants to add instant warm tone with some overdrive on tap, the ID pedal would be a no-brainer.

I like the design of the case, but I'm not particularly sold on the colour scheme - I prefer the plain unfinished Cave cases, or the plain white powder coated cases. That said, perhaps the option to offer pedals either unfinished or for a few dollars more painted like this ID pedal in colour/s chosen by the customer at the time of ordering might be a cool marketing tool.

In summary, if I didn't already own the other aforementioned Cave pedals I'd buy one of these.
Thanks Mark, thought you'd like the Induction Drive but knowing you, also thought that an extra pedal wouldn't fit on your pedal board!

Great idea about offering different colours, or even raw aluminium, easily done. I can even offer basic look or industrial styles (holes, no holes/vents).

As you already know, Mark, with most Cave pedals, they don't like humbuckers or active pickups (some results may vary, so please try, Guys). I have always preferred playing and testing prototypes mainly with passive, single or split pickup basses, as they have always been the best impedance match for my circuits and result in best frequency/boost output.

The two frequency controls on the ID have to be the most flexible passive design in the world! Not easy to do. Glad you noticed, Mark.

Thanks mate
Heath

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 21 Jul 2014, 13:27

1. Weemac DONE
2. Crowella (NSW Central Coast) DONE
3. Bassline (Sydney) DONE
4. BianchiJustin (Sydney) DONE
5. AussieMark (Sydney) DONE
6. DagwoodDawg (NSW South Coast) CURRENT CARETAKER
7. BobbyDazzler (Geelong)
8. RayBones (Launceston)
9. RodL2005 (Hobart)
10. Rocksolid (Adelaide)
11. Slave (Perth)
12. ToDoor (Darwin)
13. CrazeeBass (Brisbane)
14. Heath Cave (Brisbane)
15. JPR-Musicman (USA)
16. Heath Cave (Brisbane)

Phatbass

Post by Phatbass » 21 Jul 2014, 15:41

Any idea of what final retail price is going to be? I'll put my hand up for one now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phatbass

"Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt"

dagwood dawg

Post by dagwood dawg » 25 Jul 2014, 18:48

Induction Drive is now heading south to BobbyDazzler down in Pussytown...um , Geelong...err Go Cats :red face

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 25 Jul 2014, 19:51

Phatbass wrote:Any idea of what final retail price is going to be? I'll put my hand up for one now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi Phatbass

For something like the look of the prototype... guessing around an expensive $249. Yeah, I know but there's a lot of parts, therefore a lot of work and don't forget four transformers (not one, as with the Grunt). Also, all the holes have to be individually drilled.

As for custom options to drop the price a bit... no vent holes, plain Hammond case probably $199. This price will also include the fourth "DRIVE" knob (to mimic the Grunt), as a free option.

Guys, I will consider your old Grunt trade-ins to drop the price even more but I know none of you will release your death grip on the little buggers! Worth a try, though.

Cheers
Heath

dagwood dawg

Post by dagwood dawg » 25 Jul 2014, 21:52

Thank you Heath for the opportunity to check out your I.D pedal.

I really don't have anything new to add to what has already been posted/ recommended . I'm currently using an active bass through a TTE 500 , no effects loop .
It was only when I dragged out my Hartke 3500 and plugged in some passive 4 and 5 strings that the magic really started to happen. The Induction drive gave the Hartke a new flavour and bought extra depth to the sound of the rig .

bobbybdazzler

Post by bobbybdazzler » 29 Jul 2014, 19:43

Arrived today safe and sound, only had a quick look plugged into my little line 6 practice amp. It definitely adds another color and I think I prefer it with the active EMG equiped bass over the passive pickups. As luck would have it I have two gigs this weekend so it will get a good workout, I will post my thoughts.
Spector Euro5, Elmo ARB5, Eppi Thunderbird, Czech Bouble Bass
Mesa, Ampeg, Aguilar, Eden, TC Electronics, Orange, Genz Benz, GK, Trace, Line6, Golden Tone.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glitter-G ... 1390275343

mkat

Post by mkat » 29 Jul 2014, 20:30

Great thread and an awesome job Mark as usual in organising this and Heath for making it all happen. Great to see a manufacturer interacting with the bass player community this way. Keep the reviews coming, look forward to reading more.
Michael
http://mklutherie.com

int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 30 Jul 2014, 09:15

1. Weemac DONE
2. Crowella (NSW Central Coast) DONE
3. Bassline (Sydney) DONE
4. BianchiJustin (Sydney) DONE
5. AussieMark (Sydney) DONE
6. DagwoodDawg (NSW South Coast) DONE
7. BobbyDazzler (Geelong) CURRENT CARETAKER
8. RayBones (Launceston)
9. RodL2005 (Hobart)
10. Rocksolid (Adelaide)
11. Slave (Perth)
12. ToDoor (Darwin)
13. CrazeeBass (Brisbane)
14. Heath Cave (Brisbane)
15. JPR-Musicman (USA)
16. Heath Cave (Brisbane)

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 01 Aug 2014, 12:29

Hi Guys
Just recording rough bass lines for the new album with the Grunt Plus (volume/tone/drive).

Based on a similar eq circuit as the Induction Drive, this thing certainly adds a new depth to detuned bass lines. Full on grind!

Quite impressive, if I say so myself!

Be interesting to hear what happens when Barry (my bass player) uses Eden's Polymack eight stringer with the Grunt...

Cheers
Heath

bobbybdazzler

Post by bobbybdazzler » 07 Aug 2014, 06:48

Left Geelong Teusday on its way to sunny Tasmania, review to follow.
Spector Euro5, Elmo ARB5, Eppi Thunderbird, Czech Bouble Bass
Mesa, Ampeg, Aguilar, Eden, TC Electronics, Orange, Genz Benz, GK, Trace, Line6, Golden Tone.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glitter-G ... 1390275343

RayBones

Post by RayBones » 07 Aug 2014, 09:21

bobbybdazzler wrote:Left Geelong Teusday on its way to sunny Tasmania, review to follow.
I hope you didn't modify the pedal with red fur and glitter Bobby D! :poke:
* '10 EBMM Stingray |'05 Fender MM Jazz | '87 Fender P | '93 Tune Syncron II | '88 ESP Horizon 4 fretless
* GK Fusion 550 | GK 700RB-II | GK RBX410 | GK SBX410
* Tech 21 SansAmp Prog. BDDI | Ibanez SB7 | EBS Multi-Comp | EH Big Muff π