Tour of duty thread: Cave Passive Pedals INDUCTION DRIVE

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
Rocksolid

Re: Tour of duty thread: Cave Passive Pedals INDUCTION DRIVE

Post by Rocksolid » 10 Sep 2014, 18:45

Pedal arrived today, working a Night shift tonight. Might have a go tomorrow!

What is the general time frame people are keeping it for?
Gear:Fender I QSC I Bergantino I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses:Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Sadowsky I Warmoth l Squier

Bands:Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 10 Sep 2014, 21:01

Rocksolid wrote:
What is the general time frame people are keeping it for?
A week or so is the norm

sent from my T-34/76 via Tapatalk

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 13 Sep 2014, 16:11

Aussie Mark wrote:
The rules for the tour are -

1. Each person on the tour must pay for the pedal to be sent via Registered Post to the next person on the list.

2. Please ensure the pedal is well packed when you post it to the next person.

3. No opening up the pedal to see if there are miniature monkeys on tricycles inside.

4. Look after the pedal - it's not yours, and Heath Cave has put a great deal of thought, time and effort into designing and building the pedal.

5. You may hold onto the pedal for a week, and use it how you wish - at home, at rehearsals, or even at gigs.

6. Before the end of your week you must contact the next person on the list and find out their postal address.

7. After your turn, please provide your comments about the pedal in this thread - an audio clip or even a YouTube video would be really cool so other people can hear/see what the pedal is like when used by different people for different types of music and with different basses and rigs etc.
Here are the rules from the first page of this thread that Mark instigated. Probably good if everyone read them again... just in case anyone's forgotten, or joined in late.

Also, just better mention again, the Induction Drive is a one of a kind pedal. The R&D took years and cost a small fortune to design. It actually belongs to Eden (weemac), so please take good care of it.

Cheers
Heath

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 16 Sep 2014, 12:45

Pedal will be in the post to slave by the end of the week.

Righto! Had a go with this thru my GK MB800 into my Eden (2) 210xst cabs in a vertical stack over a 2 day period at home. I couldn't run it in my practice rig - it hummed like a mother! Not sure why. Practice Rig is TU-2, ART TubePAC/TubeEQ running a Yamaha MSR400 Powered wedge sitting in my music room. I put the ID pedal between the Tuner and the ART Tube PAC.

Most of my findings with this pedal essentially echo what has been said previous. I enjoyed the Girth it gave to my tone when running with cleaner settings. When I say girth I don't mean it in the style of beefing up the bottom end with boosted eq freqs (althought that maybe what is happening) it sounded natural. Maybe that is the tubey characteristics that Rod has referenced. The MB800 has the ability to sound quite harsh (like any amp I suppose) with the higher freqs boosted, the ID gave it a warmth and Girth rgardless of the settings I had on the Amp. Sadly, I won't get the chance to use this on a gig with Guitars involved. I couldn't decide if I thought I would lose the ability cut thru with the warmer tone.

When using it with settings that had a more overdriven tone, I quite enjoyed the tone it gave. I did find however I had the High knob maxxed (fully CCW). I liked the tone, but found myself wanting a little more tops (crunch/grit??) I know that isn't what this pedal is specifically designed for, but with a tube saturation/ overdriven type tone I think the ability to dial in a little more top end would be nice. Having it there might broaden appeal. This is ony my opinion however, and I might be in a minority. But that is the nice thing about giving a review - you get to share your opinion! :thumbup: Not having used a passive pedal before, that may not be possible. I don't know.

Thanks to both Mark for organising this, and also Heath for his generousity to, and trust for, the Oz Bass community, in allowing us to use/experience/trial a pedal we may not usually get to sample.
Gear:Fender I QSC I Bergantino I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 16 Sep 2014, 13:16

1. Weemac DONE
2. Crowella (NSW Central Coast) DONE
3. Bassline (Sydney) DONE
4. BianchiJustin (Sydney) DONE
5. AussieMark (Sydney) DONE
6. DagwoodDawg (NSW South Coast) DONE
7. BobbyDazzler (Geelong) DONE
8. RayBones (Launceston) DONE
9. RodL2005 (Hobart) DONE
10. Rocksolid (Adelaide) DONE
11. Slave (Perth)
12. ToDoor (Darwin) AWAY UNTIL LATE SEPTEMBER - MIGHT HAVE TO SLOT HIM IN LATER
13. CrazeeBass (Brisbane)
14. Heath Cave (Brisbane)
15. JPR-Musicman (USA)
16. Heath Cave (Brisbane)

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 17 Sep 2014, 11:25

Rocksolid wrote:When using it with settings that had a more overdriven tone, I quite enjoyed the tone it gave. I did find however I had the High knob maxxed (fully CCW). I liked the tone, but found myself wanting a little more tops (crunch/grit??) I know that isn't what this pedal is specifically designed for, but with a tube saturation/ overdriven type tone I think the ability to dial in a little more top end would be nice. Having it there might broaden appeal. This is ony my opinion however, and I might be in a minority. But that is the nice thing about giving a review - you get to share your opinion! :thumbup: Not having used a passive pedal before, that may not be possible. I don't know.
Thanks Rocksolid, great review! And yes, we can get more "crunch", which in turn will provide slightly more highs. However, the eq section can possibly be modified to provide more top end but may lose the boost (will have to get the ID on workbench again).

Just a quick thought... Did you adjust your amp's high eq control to compensate?

At the moment I am working on a pedal called "Max Grunt", the final chapter in the Grunt series. This unit will hopefully have more boost, therefore more drive, and three eq controls. I am also continuing development on the multi-channel designs that we have made in the years gone by. The foot switching system and programmable controls were a big issue but I think that I have overcome a lot of the problems, on paper, anyway! (And yes, there will be self rotating knobs to a pre-programmed setting and self cancelling foot switches and indicators. With this new design, a multi-functional passive pedal with as many effects in one unit is obtainable!)

You know, this all seems very strange compared to the beginnings of Cave Pedals in 2009, in the way that you all seem to accept passive technology (where as before, most believed it was impossible). Just remember... five years ago, all these passive circuits were unheard of. Thanks to you guys that involve yourselves in these tours and give your feedback, we are able to expand on the technology and break new ground !!!!!

Cheers
Heath

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 17 Sep 2014, 20:24

Cave Passive Pedals wrote:
Thanks Rocksolid, great review! And yes, we can get more "crunch", which in turn will provide slightly more highs. However, the eq section can possibly be modified to provide more top end but may lose the boost (will have to get the ID on workbench again).

Just a quick thought... Did you adjust your amp's high eq control to compensate?

At the moment I am working on a pedal called "Max Grunt", the final chapter in the Grunt series. This unit will hopefully have more boost, therefore more drive, and three eq controls. I am also continuing development on the multi-channel designs that we have made in the years gone by. The foot switching system and programmable controls were a big issue but I think that I have overcome a lot of the problems, on paper, anyway! (And yes, there will be self rotating knobs to a pre-programmed setting and self cancelling foot switches and indicators. With this new design, a multi-functional passive pedal with as many effects in one unit is obtainable!)

You know, this all seems very strange compared to the beginnings of Cave Pedals in 2009, in the way that you all seem to accept passive technology (where as before, most believed it was impossible). Just remember... five years ago, all these passive circuits were unheard of. Thanks to you guys that involve yourselves in these tours and give your feedback, we are able to expand on the technology and break new ground !!!!!

Cheers
Heath
No I didn't change the highs on my amp. I suppose I should have to just see how it sounded but I guess I set up my standard sound with the Amp, and then was switching the ID on to get a tone based on my standard sound, either to use it as a 2nd channel, or Drive.

The Max Grunt sounds cool! As does the programable unit! Hopefully that does a Tour as well! :drool:

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 24 Sep 2014, 08:37

1. Weemac DONE
10. Rocksolid (Adelaide) POSTED TO SLAVE
11. Slave (Perth)
12. ToDoor (Darwin)
15. JPR-Musicman (USA)

slave

Post by slave » 26 Sep 2014, 17:00

Okay, so the pedal arrived this morning.
And I've given it a good thrashing with the girls;
(Maton JB4, Fender P, es335)
I tried it thru a Valvetone Vim30, Ampeg SVT2 non-pro.

I gotta admit, my experience is similar to quite a few here. Transparent is not a word I would use to describe this pedal, there's quite a large amount of compression too.
Nice bottom end, the mids are okay, but unless you play your bass with the tone knob completely open in treble town (passives) I found the output quite muddy.
So really, unless it's a pedal you leave on all the time and adjust your EQ to, I don't think I could find a use for it. Personally, I enjoyed the old grunt quite a bit more (which to be fair, is a great pedal ;) )

Heath;
I experienced something you might want to look into;
It doesn't seem to like a low output instrument. With my es335 (twin humbuckers) I found it impossible to achieve unity volume > the only way I could achieve it was to place a booster in front of the pedal. The guitar itself has a pretty high output for a guitar (overwound Brierley pups), although a lower output than a P-bass of course.
Not designed for a guitar I trust, but just something I noticed.

Just in case you guys are curious, I thought I would see what the pedal did when I slammed it with a booster.
Funnily enough, whether you give it a dirty boost or a clean boost (I was boosting up to levels that make my Ampeg preamp turn to fuzz, ie loud as my booster would go), the pedal didn't really seem to change in tone all that much.
Yes, the pedal seemed to offer a little more drive with a large clean boost to the front end, but I was expecting a lot more given the amount of boost I was pushing into it. :shrug:
Just to note: Most pedals I've played with seem to drop their bottom end when you smash them with a booster > not this one, not even slightly. :thumbup:

THANK YOU HEATH.
I appreciate all your time and effort, and wish to thank you for including me in this tour of duty.
Onya champ. Ta.

Anyways, I'll hang onto it for another day or two, who's next???
Batter up!

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 27 Sep 2014, 14:06

1. Weemac DONE
10. Rocksolid (Adelaide) DONE
11. Slave (Perth) CURRENT CARETAKER
12. ToDoor (Darwin)
15. JPR-Musicman (USA)

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 28 Sep 2014, 14:44

slave wrote:Heath;
I experienced something you might want to look into;
It doesn't seem to like a low output instrument. With my es335 (twin humbuckers) I found it impossible to achieve unity volume > the only way I could achieve it was to place a booster in front of the pedal. The guitar itself has a pretty high output for a guitar (overwound Brierley pups), although a lower output than a P-bass of course.
Not designed for a guitar I trust, but just something I noticed.
Yep, not designed for guitar at all! I gave up trying to please guitarists a long time ago. They're a closed minded bunch (and I'm one of them!) that hang onto their "9 volters" like a baby with a security blanket! (Was that a bit harsh?)

Thanks for a great review, Slave.
Heath
PS. Nice basses!

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 28 Sep 2014, 16:27

Too harsh?

No not at all... This is a bass forum, after all...
Where bassists come to hang ... and guitarists come to be abused... Lol
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 28 Sep 2014, 16:29

Guitarists? ??? Their Mama wears army boots! !
Mean & Surly

TOdoor

Post by TOdoor » 08 Oct 2014, 07:30

Pedal arrived this morning I'll have a crack tonight after work and few more over the weekend :)
Traynor YBA200-2, TecAmp M212 ,G&L SB-1 ,Fender Precision MIM 1992 modified a bit

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 08 Oct 2014, 08:24

1. Weemac DONE