The OBF Product Review Thread....

Threads to lend a hand to the working bass player
BassLine

The OBF Product Review Thread....

Post by BassLine » 14 Sep 2017, 13:58

Here's a place to write your review on anything bass related.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

FunkyJase

Re: The OBF Product Review Thread....

Post by FunkyJase » 14 Sep 2017, 18:01

Great idea!
Solid Gold FX Beta Superdrive (Bass Overdrive MK 1)

I'll start off by noting that this pedal works for me with the gear I have. It could be totally different on a different rig with a different bass... The gear i use is all in my sig...

I've tried a LOT of overdrives. Everything ranging from light sprinkling of grit to all out assault...
What I've always wanted is one that retains the low end without sacrificing the driven tone and is seamless and transparent. I also wanted one that could go from barely there to bleeding eyeballs.... The closest i found was the Xotic Effects BB Bass Preamp. It's yet another tubescreamer clone but to me it coloured my tone more than I wanted and I had to pretty much max out the bass control to make it match up to my clean tone.... It's still VERY good though! Speaking of Tubescreamers, I also use the Ibanez TSB9 Bass Tubescreamer. It's the same as the guitar version only with a blend AND with two of the fabled jrc4558d chips and separate Bass/Tone controls. Again - colours the tone. Both this and the BB sound amazing on their own but the transition from clean to dirty, which is all I ever use them for, was two noticible...

Enter the Solid Gold Beta...

It sounds FAT. In fact its the first time I've felt my solid state head came close to sounding like a tube head....
For me it's exactly the overdrive i was looking for. It's not a metal players dream but if you want thick driven tones ranging from slight push to melting tubes then this will get you there. I find if I set everything at 12 oclock I can control the texture of the overdrive with the active tone on my Warwick $$. Low fat drive for choruses and turnarounds with my warwick tone dialed back a bit. Add some high end and I have a nice warm grindy overdrive for solos...

So far Im loving it. I'll add some recordings asap. and keep updating...

Fender CIJ 57RI P Bass, Warmoth Fretless PJ Bass, Bitsa Frankenbass PJ, Warwick $$ & 75' Fender Jazz Reissue.

Markbass LM Big Bang, GK MB500, Schroeder 1210pl, Eden EX112, Boss LMB-3, SGFX Beta, EMG GZR, Boss blah blah blah

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 14 Sep 2017, 21:49

Cool idea for a thread. I have a proposal, or possibly a challenge ..... how about ..... when we review something we currently own in here, we post a followup six months later? Do we still like it? Have we found something better? Did it break, did it withstand the slings and arrows of outrageous gigs? Is it still the best/worst thing since ... etc etc.
Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 15 Sep 2017, 07:38

It is a good idea but wont it just become one big jumbled thread ? Is it possible to have this as a whole new topic under "discussions" with a new thread started for each product ?

cleary

Post by cleary » 15 Sep 2017, 08:35

NotTheFish wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 07:38
It is a good idea but wont it just become one big jumbled thread ? Is it possible to have this as a whole new topic under "discussions" with a new thread started for each product ?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The phpbb search function is pretty average, and would def work better as a section with individual threads
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 16 Sep 2017, 18:07

NotTheFish wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 07:38
A new thread for each product makes sense to me. :thumbup:

Good review of the Solid Gold FX Beta Superdrive...... :yep
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 30 Oct 2017, 13:18

Here's another review - I felt the need to get a backup amp. My Markbass Big Bang doesnt like the LOUD gigs and keeps cutting out and this has exposed a risk. Im getting a lot of gigs at the moment and if my one and only amp dies Im in the pooh ;-)

So!
I picked up a Gallien Krueger MB500!

The first thing I noticed is the weight... there aint none. Seriously I thought it was like the fake mobile phones you see at the shops ie for display only. It was like there was nothing in it but it's all there of course :-) So the weight makes lugging it around a breeze. The other thing I noticed is the knob order is the opposite to other amps I've used. Im used to everything going from left to right in this order "Gain, Low, Low Mid, Hi Mid, Treble, Vol". Not so on the MB500... Observe:

It makes no difference in the real world but I still found myself turning the lows down when I was trying to reduce the highs. I had a "THIS AMP IS CRAP" moment till I realised I was having a "DAMN IM A D!CKHEAD" moment instead...

Speaking of the knobs (and I dont mean the punters who ask for pop songs at a blues gig) these knobs are very responsive. You dont need to move them much to make changes. Kind of like the Sansamp BDDI. Turn the bass control about 2mm clockwise and BOOM it's huge... The contour control kind of scoops and crapifies your sound by turning the eq into that smily face thing which I personally hate. If I wanted to sound shite I'd play guitar ;-) but some people dig it... tell me who you are if you do so i can unfriend you... Jokes. Just jokes..

The separate boost and master are awesome. I dont even use it but yeah it's pretty awesome. The supplied pedal is really well built. You could turn the Master B volume all the way down and use it as a mute switch or you can turn it up so that you can boost your solo and make peoples clothes fall off... (do NOT do this at a bikie gig - no therapy will ever fix that!). It actually has a mute switch too. It's a separate switch so it's not like the Markbass LM Tube where you have to pull the volume knob to shut it up. I stopped using the mute on the Markbass cos when you get your volume just right, you dont wanna mess it all up.

There is a limiter switch. I have no idea what it limits. I assume it limits peaks but it could limit asteroids crashing to earth for all I know so i leave that one on just in case... you can thank me later...

Now for the important part - how does it sound?

Effing great...

It doesnt have overdrive or effects etc you can get pedals for that stuff - Its all just good clean tone. It seems a lot louder than my Markbass Big Bang and it seems to have much stronger and punchier tone. It is FAT through my Schroder 1210PL and even the Eden 112. The Markbass clip light is very easy to get flickering. The GK has one but I had to push it pretty hard to get it to light up... oh! The Limiter Switch! thats what that must be for... spewing, I was loving the idea that i was saving the Earth from wayward asteroids...

I bought the GK as a backup and granted the honeymoon period might not be over yet but this amp has already shelved the Markbass for now.

Have any questions about it?
Ask away...

I have a few pedals coming in as well. Dunlop Mini Bass Wah, TC Electronics Mojo Mojo and a EHX Bass Soul Food - Ill review them after I've played with 'em...
Fender CIJ 57RI P Bass, Warmoth Fretless PJ Bass, Bitsa Frankenbass PJ, Warwick $$ & 75' Fender Jazz Reissue.

Markbass LM Big Bang, GK MB500, Schroeder 1210pl, Eden EX112, Boss LMB-3, SGFX Beta, EMG GZR, Boss blah blah blah

stonecoldbass

Post by stonecoldbass » 07 Nov 2017, 11:17

Great to hear your thoughts on the GK, I remember trying the Fusion version and being blown away. Don't see many people using these in my experience.
http://www.craigstrainmusic.com
http://www.basslessonsmelbourne.com
F Bass VF5 70's Ash/Maple
Iceni Zoot Classic J Funkmeister Custom 5 string
Greco 70's P bass
80's Squier J Bass
80's Ibanez Musician
Markbass LMT800
Eden EX112 x2
Markbass 410HR

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 13 Nov 2017, 12:34

FunkyJase wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 18:01
*snip*
Well this certainly makes me want to buy one!