several questions about walking bass in jazz

Threads to lend a hand to the working bass player
Aor

several questions about walking bass in jazz

Post by Aor » 16 Apr 2017, 12:52

Hi All!

I have two questions about walking bass in jazz:

1. in jazz standards, when I create a walking over m7 and maj7 chords, should I apply modes over them for the walking purpose? or is it enough to relate a major scale(Ionian) for maj7 chord and minor scale(Aeolian) for m7 chord?
for example, when I create a walking over gm7 chord in Cm scale, should I apply a phrygian mode over it? or just a minor scale(Aeolian) over it?

2.regarding dom7 chords in minor scale, Could I use a (normal) mixolydian mode for any dom7 chord even in minor scale for the walking purpose? Or should I apply a mixolydian b9 b13 mode or another variation of it for dom7 chords in minor scale?

Thanks!!

BazzBass

Re: several questions about walking bass in jazz

Post by BazzBass » 16 Apr 2017, 12:59

lol, welcome to Oz Bass :)

I just play what sounds good. Chord tones and chromatic tones to walk to the next note you wanna play. It ain't THAT complicated, unless you make it so

PS how many times do you have to ask this same question on TB? I stopped counting at six lol
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham" :rolf:

jimmyjam

Post by jimmyjam » 16 Apr 2017, 14:41

G'day feel free to send me a PM if you'd like some help with writing walking lines.
"I play bass, most kinds!"
I endorse Remic Microphones.

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 16 Apr 2017, 16:44

There's not really a mathematical method to note choice. Modes and arpeggios are just 2 tools in the toolbox and relying on just one or the other too heavily will give you a mechanical sounding line.

I'd pick ONE jazz standard, get to know the changes really well and listen to the different ways bass players have approached it - some good, some not. You be the judge.

Here Geoff Chalmers does it with Fly Me to the Moon. Skip to 2:30 and get started.

He has some great stuff for beginners.
Duesenberg MC Starplayer, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 16 Apr 2017, 18:03

I used to play a fair bit of jazz (I am by no ways an expert), I would basically do what BazzBass describted - try to hit chord tones and walk between them either chromatically or up/down the scale. I wouldn't try to overthink it.

billybass

Post by billybass » 17 Apr 2017, 06:10

I personally think of the chord tones and target how to get to the next chord, you don't have to always start on the Root, mix them up and experiment. b7 5 b3 R, Vary the way you get to the next chord, from above, from below, double chromatic e.g.. in the Key of A, F# G G# then to the A, be creative, stop thinking scales, your job is to outline the chord changes, just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.
Cheers BillyBass

pjm

Post by pjm » 17 Apr 2017, 23:06

start with 1, 3 ,5, 7 - chord tones and you'll soon be bored with that, plus there's a lot of movement, then add some leading tones to the chord tones, less moving hand positions. Transcribe, buy some jazz bass books. Don't forget to practice you maj scale in every key over the whole board.
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Epiphone, Ashdown, GK, Ampeg,

pjm

Post by pjm » 18 Apr 2017, 13:35

Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Epiphone, Ashdown, GK, Ampeg,

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 18 Apr 2017, 13:54

If constructing a walking bass line one should keep it walking, regardless of the tonality.
If one attempts to make the bass line run, as opposed to walking, then tempo is an issue. But we can deal with that in a later discussion.

Back to walking. If we are walking over a dominant 7, be careful. Because the 7 is dominant and can become overly aggressive towards non-dominant 7's. And since we are looking for a harmonious relationship between tones, we can't have that.

If it is a minor 7, we really should get the 7's parental permission before doing any walking with it. Otherwise you may find yourself in hot water with the authorities.

If it is a major 7, we need to respect rank. If you are a Lieutenant Colonel or higher rank, than you can walk over a major 7 without issue. But be careful, because if you are Captain or lower rank, then walking over a major 7 can potentially result in a court martial.

I hope this clears things up... Happy Walking...
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Macbass

Post by Macbass » 18 Apr 2017, 14:21

Also, crawling basslines should be mastered before trying to walk. :p
1982 Moonstone Eclipse, Aguilar Tonehammer Pre, Peavey power amp, Markbass CL106, Various pedals...

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 18 Apr 2017, 14:48

Macbass wrote:Also, crawling basslines should be mastered before trying to walk. :p
Indeed :yep
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

cl8n

Post by cl8n » 18 Apr 2017, 23:57

pjm wrote:
Great video ... thanks for sharing, pjm!
Jazz, T-bird, EB-2, Big Al, Carlo Robelli 8
Warwick LWA1000, Carlsbro, Eden Wt-405, GB Shuttle, Custom 115, GB XB410
Stompable noise makers