Musicians insurance - how do you manage yours?

Threads to lend a hand to the working bass player
Rocksolid

Musicians insurance - how do you manage yours?

Post by Rocksolid » 07 Apr 2017, 08:56

I have had Musicians insurance for some years now - it has always been thru Marsh.

With the discovery of Talkbass and also Ozbass forum, my arsenal of gear has grown significantly, and therefore so has my insurance bill. Everything I gig, I insure because strictly speaking, if you are earning money with something it needs to have commercial insurance rather than just household to be covered.

So I suppose what I am asking is - do you insure everything you gig? I was thinking about doing basses, amps, pedal boards only as these are the easiest to steal, damage, or blow up. Speaker cabs are less likely to be stolen etc

So how do you manage/run your musicians insurance?
Gear:Fender I QSC I Bergantino I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses:Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Sadowsky I Warmoth l Squier

Bands:Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

bigswifty

Re: Musicians insurance - how do you manage yours?

Post by bigswifty » 07 Apr 2017, 13:56

I'm with Marsh like you, and like you I found it got expensive. I only insure my guitars, for the following reasons:

. Guitars are the shiny things on stands that look like they are worth taking. Arguably I think they are perceived as the easiest for a thief to sell.

. Cabs are way too heavy and bulky to sneak out with.

. I don't use pedals, but if I did, I wouldn't bother insuring. Yes it would be a depressing amount of money to lose, but the bottom line is you can go buy them again, do without, or if funds are tight make do with a multifx while you get back on your feet.

. I use heads I got very cheap second hand. Not worth the cost to insure them.

. My guitars, on the other hand, are not so easy or cheap to replace. More importably, I feel that, unlike amps and pedals, they are somehow more personal and "mine" and simply buying a replacement (if I could even afford it) would somehow not be the same. So I insure them.

As a more general comments - In the past few years I've done many hundreds of gigs both here and overseas, in a variety of venues and I've only experienced one attempt at stealing anything. I don't discount it, and I'm careful with my stuff, but it's pretty easy to talk yourself into worrying more than perhaps you need to.

The one case was a girl about to walk out of a venue with my gig bag/bass on her back and I had to physically (and quite forcefully) pull it off her :/ This was in a venue with a stage that's easily accessibly from the rear through an unsecured door (if people who play in Newcastle, NSW want the venue name IM me). So stages with multiple access points now send me to Defcon 1.

I think the biggest danger period is during tear down when the place is a mess, nobody knows where everything is, people are milling around chatting and distracting you, plus, in my case, I'm usually fairly knackered. Stuff is sitting about in cases and bags, super easy for someone to speculate and just grab something. That's when the above attempt was made on my bass.

But again, let's be vigilant but not too carried away. My guitarist left his 72 strat in its case leaning up against a laneway next to Newtown station while he drove home to Wollongong. It was several hours before he realised and could phone someone to go look for it - and there it was, safe and sound.

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 07 Apr 2017, 14:36

bigswifty wrote:I'm with Marsh like you, and like you I found it got expensive. I only insure my guitars, for the following reasons:

. Guitars are the shiny things on stands that look like they are worth taking. Arguably I think they are perceived as the easiest for a thief to sell.

. Cabs are way too heavy and bulky to sneak out with.

. I don't use pedals, but if I did, I wouldn't bother insuring. Yes it would be a depressing amount of money to lose, but the bottom line is you can go buy them again, do without, or if funds are tight make do with a multifx while you get back on your feet.

. I use heads I got very cheap second hand. Not worth the cost to insure them.

. My guitars, on the other hand, are not so easy or cheap to replace. More importably, I feel that, unlike amps and pedals, they are somehow more personal and "mine" and simply buying a replacement (if I could even afford it) would somehow not be the same. So I insure them.

As a more general comments - In the past few years I've done many hundreds of gigs both here and overseas, in a variety of venues and I've only experienced one attempt at stealing anything. I don't discount it, and I'm careful with my stuff, but it's pretty easy to talk yourself into worrying more than perhaps you need to.

The one case was a girl about to walk out of a venue with my gig bag/bass on her back and I had to physically (and quite forcefully) pull it off her :/ This was in a venue with a stage that's easily accessibly from the rear through an unsecured door (if people who play in Newcastle, NSW want the venue name IM me). So stages with multiple access points now send me to Defcon 1.

I think the biggest danger period is during tear down when the place is a mess, nobody knows where everything is, people are milling around chatting and distracting you, plus, in my case, I'm usually fairly knackered. Stuff is sitting about in cases and bags, super easy for someone to speculate and just grab something. That's when the above attempt was made on my bass.

But again, let's be vigilant but not too carried away. My guitarist left his 72 strat in its case leaning up against a laneway next to Newtown station while he drove home to Wollongong. It was several hours before he realised and could phone someone to go look for it - and there it was, safe and sound.

Mike
Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Most of your thoughts/ observations are in line with where I seem to be heading. The one other concern I have is gear in unattended cars. This is probably one of the main reasons everything is insured. I rarely do it these days, but country gigs like I had on the weekend, you load up your car after the gig, and it sits overnight in the car park, hopefully right outside your room, but not always. Thieves have time in this situation.

I thing I need to go thru my insurance schedule and be honest and brutal.
Gear:Fender I QSC I Bergantino I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 07 Apr 2017, 14:43

I'm with Marsh too. All my basses are insured, as are the heads, but I don't bother about the cabs.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 07 Apr 2017, 14:53

Rocksolid wrote: The one other concern I have is gear in unattended cars. This is probably one of the main reasons everything is insured. I rarely do it these days, but country gigs like I had on the weekend, you load up your car after the gig, and it sits overnight in the car park, hopefully right outside your room, but not always. Thieves have time in this situation.
Agreed. We have this situation often, and there are a few things that can help. You've probably already thought of all this, but anyway, while it's on my mind ......

. Vehicle presentation - windows darkened (to the extent allowable by law). If you don't have/want tinted windows, a few old blankets or something (the grottier the better) to cover your stuff is better than nothing. Avoid band/festival/music-related stickers. Nothing looks juicier than a van in a motel parking lot plastered with Gibson/Fender/Marshall/Bluesfest/Big Day Out stickers :)

. If your vehicle has a tailgate you can park right up against a pole or fence so the gate can't be raised. Bit harder to get stuff out through the back seat, every little bit helps :)

. Some common sense street craft - we have a venue where I have to overnight the car in a car park right across the street from the venue which always has lots of folks milling about outside as I get to the car. I usually drive off in another direction and do a lap of the block to arrive at the accomodation from another direction.

Having said all that, no matter where I park and what precautions I take, my guitar goes in the room with me every time, no exceptions.

Mike

Daniel Kinnaird

Post by Daniel Kinnaird » 07 Apr 2017, 15:09

For years I didn't insure anything I owned. Which included regularly gigging Fodera's etc. But in the last few years I've got to do some national and international touring so I now have every piece of musical gear I own insured with Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance Solutions. They have a pretty clunky website (https://www.anderson-group.com/) as far as initial application goes... But I found them to be pretty competitive and comprehensive.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 07 Apr 2017, 16:05

bigswifty wrote:a few old blankets or something (the grottier the better) to cover your stuff is better than nothing.
Mike is spot on - a lot of new wagons and SUVs come with the option of a cargo cover - I have on for the Mazda, so the rear loading area is completely covered. And on overnight road trips I do the same as Mike - take the guitars into the hotel room.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 08 Apr 2017, 08:36

+1 gear well hidden in the rear, basses ALWAYS go inside, tailgate hard against a wall, etc.

I keep my car tidy/empty normally, but make the back seat look disorganised if leaving stuff in it (beach towel, jackets, picnic rug). Also has a flashing red light internally with the alarm that'd make people think twice.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 08 Apr 2017, 08:54

Thanks for all the input guys. I do most of these things. I have a luggage cover for my Commodore but often things are too high in the back to use it. Guitars always go inside, tailgate to a wall/post.

Haven't done the window tint thing - but maybe the next car will get it.

Taking Cabs and some other gear off the inventory, and some smaller stuff might be the go.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 08 Apr 2017, 13:42

my mind was more at ease in my earlier career where I only had a $200 bass and a well used Peavey TNT150, if someone can be fagged carrying the Peavey away they were welcome to it.
Now I have better gear it's more of a worry.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 08 Apr 2017, 14:46

Like the movie says, everything you own ends up owning you :)
Mike

BazzBass wrote:my mind was more at ease in my earlier career where I only had a $200 bass and a well used Peavey TNT150, if someone can be fagged carrying the Peavey away they were welcome to it.
Now I have better gear it's more of a worry.

DoctorJohn

Post by DoctorJohn » 09 Apr 2017, 17:12

I'd love to see an opportunist thief try steal my ampeg gear out of my car. I'd almost sit back and laugh at the interest, the attempt and the "**** that". Aside from being heavy, you can only get it in and out a certain way.

I self insure I guess. Was gonna get insurance at one point but decided against it in the end. Should look into it again though
Basses: Fender Steve Harris P - Warwick Robert Trujillo 4&5 string
Amps: Randall RB200X - Ampeg SVT-CL, SVT-III Pro & SVT-810e - Kustom 1200HD & 410H/215H - Mesa Boogie 1516B
FX: Bass Muff Deluxe - American Sound - Cliff Burton PFW

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 18 Apr 2017, 12:35

I used to have everything covered with Marsh; however since I haven't been gigging as regularly as I used to, I don't really make enough to claim the repayments (I have over $130K worth of gear, so the premiums were right up there). These days it's much cheaper for me to just have the essential gear I use onstage covered, & permanently hire a room in a storage facility to keep everything else in.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass