Need help working out this song.

Threads to lend a hand to the working bass player
piney

Need help working out this song.

Post by piney » 06 Feb 2017, 20:12

Freedom 90 is a song by George Michael I have to learn. All good except for the solo section. Cannot work out what the bass is doing. Its a lovely bass line. Anybody here know how to play it? Its in C but cant get it. No tabs online at all. Got me wondering if there is such a thing as a online transcription service or similar, cant find one.

MilesJackson

Re: Need help working out this song.

Post by MilesJackson » 06 Feb 2017, 20:50

Hey Piney,

This is super quick and just using a keyboard app on my phone but looks like the overall chord progression is:

All chords for a bar each

Verse/Chorus: C - Bb - F - C (all just basic triadic chords the bass is just playing is mostly playing roots with some C7ish kind of fills)

Pre Chorus: G - F - C - C (Again all basically triads with C dominant kind of fills)

Bridge: Cmin (sorry couldn't get all the voicings but fills based on a C minor scale (C D Eb F G Ab Bb) would work)

Sorry just a brief outline but I hope that helps.

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 06 Feb 2017, 21:32

Love this song, used to play it all the time. If you are talking about the two break down sections "I think there's something that you should know... " it's in Cmin as MJ said above. I don't have a bass on hand as I am out but I just had a listen in the car and the basic run is something like:

C - C - Eb - F - F# - G - Bb - C

It's played on a 5 sting so the first C to C is from the 3rd fret A string C down the octave to the low C (1st fret B string) and up from there. It may have actually been keyboard bass, GM was well known for using both real and key bass in his songs.

Thats the 1st run of the repeating section, the rest is just based off that initial progression with fills.

I hope that helps with song. In terms of on line stuff I'm not aware of anything, sorry and I could not find note or tabs for this song either.

If you are using a Mac or Ipad there are some good programs that allow you to loop and slow down songs without changing pitch to work out these type of things. I use Anytune on both and it's amazing.

Good luck!

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 07 Feb 2017, 08:35

bassmaniac69 wrote:If you are using a Mac or Ipad there are some good programs that allow you to loop and slow down songs without changing pitch to work out these type of things. I use Anytune on both and it's amazing.
Also, Amazing Slowdowner is an app for Android (and iOS I think) that does the same thing if you are using your phone as a practice source.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 07 Feb 2017, 12:46

Slow it down, transpose it up one octave, play it thru speakers with good lows. Much easier to hear.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 07 Feb 2017, 14:08

bassmaniac69 wrote:Love this song, used to play it all the time. If you are talking about the two break down sections "I think there's something that you should know... " it's in Cmin as MJ said above. I don't have a bass on hand as I am out but I just had a listen in the car and the basic run is something like:

C - C - Eb - F - F# - G - Bb - C

It's played on a 5 sting so the first C to C is from the 3rd fret A string C down the octave to the low C (1st fret B string) and up from there. It may have actually been keyboard bass, GM was well known for using both real and key bass in his songs.

Thats the 1st run of the repeating section, the rest is just based off that initial progression with fills.
I've always played the breakdown sections like this. Each line is 2 bars. The Underlined notes are on the Low B string:-

C - C - D - Eb - F - G - Bb - C
C - C - D - Eb - F - G-Bb-G-Bb-G
C - C - D - Eb - F - G - Bb - C
C - C - C - D - Eb - F - Eb - D.

But it's one of those riffs where the notes themselves aren't as important as the phrasing. Get that right and most people won't even notice if the notes aren't spot on.
Last edited by Petebass on 07 Feb 2017, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

piney

Post by piney » 07 Feb 2017, 14:47

Wow thanks guys. Yeah will get the slowdowner app me thinks.

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 07 Feb 2017, 17:41

Just had a listen now and I'm hearing:

C - C - Eb - F - G - G - Bb - C - G
C - C - Eb - F - G - G-Bb-G-Bb-G - G
C - C - C - D - Eb - F - Eb - D
C - C - Eb - F - G - G-Bb-G-Bb-G - G
C - D - F - G - Bb - C - G-Eb-D-C-Bb

The Gs on the end of the lines are played on the last 16th note of the bar leading into the next bar.
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs