Tribute gig for Darren Hills aka Dazzalenko this Saturday 22nd Oct at Norwood Live

Threads to lend a hand to the working bass player
Rocksolid

Tribute gig for Darren Hills aka Dazzalenko this Saturday 22nd Oct at Norwood Live

Post by Rocksolid » 18 Oct 2016, 12:20

Hi guys,

A bit late getting this out as I've been away.

Darren was a loved member of OBF Adelaide chapter who passed away late last year after a long and often private battle with Cancer.

His band from the late 80's/early 90's, Disciple, are doing a 1 off reunion show this Saturday after 25 years apart to pay tribute to Darren and raise money for the Cancer Council. Playing in Darren's place are 3 bass players that knew Darren over the course or his life, myself included.

What I didn't know until sitting with him in the Wakefield Hospital 2 years ago, was that I saw him play in this band. The drummer from my first band, Mark Drilling, had left us to play with Disciple. I saw them gig on numerous occasions, but never spoke to the bass player. We pieced this together in his hospital room when Mark also came to visit him whilst I was there.

All proceeds from the Door and silent auction will go to the Cancer council. It should be a great night celebrating Darren's life with friends and family. There will be footage of Darren playing on the big screen I believe, and his bass will have pride of place on the stage during disciple's set. Please come along and support this event.

Other bands on the bill are Sonic Divide opening the evening, and the night will close will cover band under the covers. The other 2 bass players playing in Darren's place play in these bands.

Disciple FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Disciple-12174 ... 6/?fref=ts

Sonic Divide FB page: https://www.facebook.com/sonicdivide/?fref=ts

Gear:Fender I QSC I Bergantino I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses:Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Sadowsky I Warmoth l Squier

Bands:Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

basshack

Re: Tribute gig for Darren Hills aka Dazzalenko this Saturday 22nd Oct at Norwood Live

Post by basshack » 18 Oct 2016, 13:17

PM sent.
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

bloodmason

Re: Tribute gig for Darren Hills aka Dazzalenko this Saturday 22nd Oct at Norwood Live

Post by bloodmason » 18 Oct 2016, 14:13

Dang! I knew this was coming up but didn't know it was this weekend. I'll be up in the NT visiting friends :(
All the best Steve... and much love & thoughts to Daz & family.
Basses: Alembic, Epiphone, Fender, Greco, Mailloux, Maton, Modulus, Univox, Vantage

Rigs: Summit Audio, QSC, Millennia, Tecamp, FMR, Epifani, Genz Benz

www.facebook.com/EmergencyRule

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 18 Oct 2016, 16:13

the bass in that photo is my P's twin .

gonna try real hard to get there Steve, have a great show if I don't make it.
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham" :rolf:

veebass

Post by veebass » 19 Oct 2016, 18:18

All the best, I hope it is a very successful night.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

basshack

Post by basshack » 19 Oct 2016, 20:43

Another PM Steve.

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 20 Oct 2016, 07:35

basshack wrote:Another PM Steve.
Replied. Sorry for the delay.
Gear:Fender I QSC I Bergantino I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 20 Oct 2016, 07:40

Last rehearsal last night. Sounded really really good.

I have said from the outset of rehearsals for this gig that I am amazed how good the bass lines are in these songs. Darren wrote the lines for this album around 1987, which means he was around 18 years old. I couldn't have dreamt of writing such tasty lines at that age. Can only imagine how good he would've become without other distractions, and the sickness that eventually took his life.

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 20 Oct 2016, 11:51

basshack wrote:Another PM Steve.
Blaine,

I have just shared your generosity with the others from the band, and they and myself are completely humbled and floored by your gift.

They have asked me to thank you on here publicly. It can't be overstated how grateful we all are. Cheers Brother.

basshack

Post by basshack » 20 Oct 2016, 14:32

He was my mate too Steve. Just too far away to do anything other than talk on the phone and email. I've lost too many friends and family already to cancer and what you and the bands are doing is worth supporting.

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 23 Oct 2016, 00:04

Can't express how good tonight's gig was. Darren's Bass had pride of place on the stage, amazing turn out, and a heap of money raised for the cancer council. An absolute honour you part Darren's parts with an awesome bunch of musicians.I hope you were watching tonight Dazz.

evilgus

Post by evilgus » 16 Dec 2016, 19:56

Are the Disciple songs available anywhere? Or for purchase?

EG

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 17 Dec 2016, 09:33

The album sacred knights is on spotify.

Search Disciple Sacred Knights should find it.
Thanks for your interest!