*The Stolen Gear Thread*

Feedback from sales, stolen goods, dodgy sellers etc...
Stuyvesant

Re: *The Stolen Gear Thread*

Post by Stuyvesant » 22 Apr 2009, 14:16

handyz: did the fellow come to your home to pickup the bass or was it posted? if you have his email then do post it or PM me.

also the ebay account he contacted you from.

as for paypal... they are scum, I sold a very rare copy of a game for $250USD a few years ago, guy got it in the post, thanked me ect, 25 days later the payments reversed: they are still threatening legal action and apparently handed the debt on to a collector.

i'd never trust paypal again!

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 23 Apr 2009, 08:41

Stuyvesant wrote:as for paypal... they are scum, I sold a very rare copy of a game for $250USD a few years ago, guy got it in the post, thanked me ect, 25 days later the payments reversed: they are still threatening legal action and apparently handed the debt on to a collector.

Paypal is fine, just make sure you send anything you sell via registered post or an international service that has a tracking number. If you provide such proof of delivery to Paypal they can never reverse a payment.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Stuyvesant

Post by Stuyvesant » 23 Apr 2009, 11:27

Aussie Mark wrote:
Stuyvesant wrote:as for paypal... they are scum, I sold a very rare copy of a game for $250USD a few years ago, guy got it in the post, thanked me ect, 25 days later the payments reversed: they are still threatening legal action and apparently handed the debt on to a collector.

Paypal is fine, just make sure you send anything you sell via registered post or an international service that has a tracking number. If you provide such proof of delivery to Paypal they can never reverse a payment.
I did have a recipt number & online tracking for the package that I supplied to paypal, I also had numerous emails of me going back and forth with the buyer & him thanking me for being honest with the item description.

then ontop of it all I had his positive feedback for a good transaction.

... paypal still reversed it

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 23 Apr 2009, 11:50

Stuyvesant wrote:... paypal still reversed it
What was the reason?

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Stuyvesant

Post by Stuyvesant » 23 Apr 2009, 12:20

Aussie Mark wrote:
Stuyvesant wrote:... paypal still reversed it
What was the reason?
kid (17 year old) used his parents creditcard/ebay account, it was delivered to the address on the credit card and all details matched up 100%; in paypals terms and condition they clearly state that you can't do reversals due to family members using your details ect aswel...

I ended up using my internet sleuth abilities and called his mother, she laughed at me; she gave him permission to use the card but felt that my $250USD end price was "too expensive" so she reversed it. :banghead:

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 23 Apr 2009, 12:46

I hate Ebay. I've managed to get my money back from Paypal whenever I've had a problem, but it's a painful process and seriously.... who's got the time of the patience to deal with all that crap? Not me.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 01 May 2009, 16:17

our (wife & myself) rating on ebay is 480+...My wife has been ripped off twice (once for $20 and once for $50)...she's also had two "no sale" auctions, where the buyer just never paid or answered any further communications (items were re-auctions)...

all in all...I've bought 3 basses and one electric guitar, plus effects, strings, etc without issue...I've also sold two basses via ebay without a problem...

it's important to establish really good communication with buyer or seller before any transactions are made...and if it smells the slightest bit "fishy" avoid it like the swine flu. :)
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 01 May 2009, 16:45

PilbaraBass wrote:...... avoid it like the swine flu. :)
I called the swine flu hotline. It was a bad connection and all I got was crackling.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 11 Jun 2009, 07:33

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =493399882

on saturday the 6th of june, around 3pm - 6pm, 2 guitars, a bass, keyboard, and two bags (one a backback) were stolen out of a white van on Barkly St in Brunswick, right outside a Melbourne Uni building.

saw this on another site and thought id post it up to help the guys out.

sandman

Post by sandman » 11 Jun 2009, 09:46

I know it's not bass related, but apparently Ian Moss had 2 guitars stolenm a Gretch and i think it was a Les Paul, i'll doubl check, and post some pics maybe.

PS, crackup petebass, did you need a hambulance?
needs to spend less time on forums, more time on bass..

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 11 Jun 2009, 09:58

sandman wrote: PS, crackup petebass, did you need a hambulance?
Yeah they saved my bacon!

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 31 Jul 2009, 09:53

There seems to be a long while between posts on this thread. That's gotta be a good thing..... touch wood.

harmonyriver

Post by harmonyriver » 01 Oct 2009, 12:23

I really feel for these guys- I have had my car broken into twice and also experienced a house break-in. Cops came everytime but always say that it is unlikely that anyone will be caught and they are just really attending for insurance purposes. Forensics came the next day for the house break-in, but unless someone actually gets killed, it is nothing like on CSI Las Vegas. I actually had to persuade them to dust for prints - can u believe it?
Then trying to claim for items from insurance was another nightmare- you have to jump through many hoops, and provide a purchase receipt for every item you claim for. This was impossible for certain items (like gifts and items that u never thought was important to keep receipts for).
DataDotDNA is a good idea - I use it now on EVERYTHING >$50 in value. Just one more hurdle to make life difficult for these a***holes.
Just to add on another anecdote - I met a professional bassist recently at a industry dinner and dance, and noticed that he was playing a beat-up $150 Samick bass (no offense intended towards Samick owners :)) and really ancient crappy looking amp stack. Still sounded very decent :) After the show, I caught up with him and we talked about his gear - he told me that he has given up buying any expensive gear as he has had them stolen from him too many times at gig venues.

Ebay has been kind to me so far- but I will be extra alert now after reading these horror stories.
I think if you are selling an expensive item (like >$1000), insist on the buyer doing a bank transfer or at least a partial transfer, the rest paid with PayPal. If it is within Australia, the buyer should have no problems with it as the seller would have to provide personal bank details- and it is quite difficult to set-up a fradulent bank account with so many identity checks. Also ask the buyer to post you an original copy of his bank statement to show that he is really who he is (with his name and address), plus a photocopy of his/her driver's license. Cross check his details with the White Pages. If they do not want to do this, don't sell the item as the buyer may have something to hide.

If on the other hand, you are a buyer of an expensive bass, insist on the seller providing detailed photos of specific areas of the bass, and ask him to slip a AUD10 or 20 note between the strings or a specific part of the bass and take a photo. This kind of request would be very hard to Photoshop (but still possible in the hands of an expert fraudster), but at least would sieve out the quick amateurs. This is to prove that he actually owns the bass. I have noticed on more than two occasionans, suspicious listings of the same bass photo with the exact background, with very different asking prices, a few weeks or months apart. This is on Ebay Australia. The reason I noticed the similarity in photos is because I am practically on Ebay Australia everyday.
One of them was a very nice mint looking early 70s USA jazz going for less than $2000. The initial ad was asking for $4000+. Exact same photo!
Remember what Judge Judy always says - if it doesn't make sense, it isn't true!

After all of this, you ask yourself why wouldn't u just buy a bass from your local music shop? Actually, I prefer buying a bass brand new from a shop - u can try it, check it for defects, talk to the shop guys and hang out (it's fun), try the bass on different amps, get a proper warranty etc... If u build up a good rapport with them, they might cut u a good deal at the same time. Is paying $200 to 300 less for a bass on Ebay really worth the extra stress? Only u can decide...

Just my 2cents :)
1993 Ibanez SD1205PD Wenge/Padauk modified w/ EMG40DC / BTC,
2006 60th MIM P-Bass Blizzard Pearl,
?2009 Yamaha BB414 Blk
Eden Nemesis NC115

"Guitar is for the head, drums are for the chest, but bass gets you in the groin."
- Suzi Quatro

Simo98

Post by Simo98 » 19 Oct 2009, 21:21

Even if you find your stuff being sold on ebay its hard to get the cops to even check it out.

A mate of mine had his outboard nicked, we saw it on ebay 3 days later, in the photo's you could see a modification that he had made to it which proved that it was undoubtebly his, however they had changed the plate with the serial number over to one from a different motor of the same brand.

went to the police, told them we had found it, had the adress and phone number of the person in possession of it, but they couldn't do anything because the serial number was different to the one he had on record.

If it wasn't interstate we would have gone round there and picked it up from them

p-rok

Post by p-rok » 21 Oct 2009, 16:01

well this is a topic I know too much about unfortunately. I have had 3 basses tolen over the years and one of them was stolen twice! The first was a Tune bass maniac 4 string about 12 years ago. Never heard a thing about that one. The next was my custom designed and made 5 string bass which was made by Rob Kidd. Some guy flogged it off the stage in between services back when I was playing at Garden City Church. I found it like 8 months later in Moorooka cash converters (the one stop stolen goods shop). I went down armed with photos and the police and rescued it. Then about 2 years ago, I had that bass stolen again along with my fender custom shop 5 string. The police were involved and did pretty much nothing to help. It's a long strange story as to how I got it back, but a friend of mine saw my custom bass on facebook of all places. It happened to be his cousin, so he politely asked him where he got it, to which he replied "off a friend of a guy who knows a friend of guy". So I made him a deal and swapped him a cheap bass I had at the time. Never saw the fender again, so got it replaced under insurance. Thats how I got the charcoal 5 string I play now......
The lesson here? Never leave your stuff in your car or on a stage - ever. Keep your basses strapped to your person at all times when you're away from home! and under lock and key when you are at home. People go to great lengths to feed their drug habits or make some fast cash. You really can't be too careful.