WTB: Humbucker sized Bass Pickups

Forum rules
Before you post on this forum read the Forum Rules in the first stickied thread. Failure to do so can result in your threads or posts to be deleted without notice.

Classifieds are now a "Supporting Member" only section. This means For Sale/Trade/Wanted threads can now only be started by Supporting Members. To become a supporting member click on Paypal Donate button at the bottom of this page.

WARNING: Ozbassforum.com and its staff take no responsibilites whatsoever for any transactions that occur in this forum. Use at your own risk.
Paisley

WTB: Humbucker sized Bass Pickups

Post by Paisley » 29 Nov 2017, 11:06

I'm chasing a set of Humbucker sized Pickups to go in a Bass.
The way I see it, I've got three options; I've listed them in order of preference;

1. Passive HB Bass Pickups (Gibson TB Plus, Rio Grande Pitbulls, ect)
2. Active HB Bass Pickups (EMG-HB, Bartolini 1-CB, ect)
3. Blade type Guitar pickups (Lawrence L-90/L-500, ect)

I'm sure there's dozens of others I'm not aware of, so feel free to throw other suggestions in the Hat. The Bass is just a cheapie, but I've thrown a set of Cobalt Flats on it which has really brought it to life, & I don't thing the stock pickups are doing it much justice.

Cheers. :)
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

Aussie Mark

Re: WTB: Humbucker sized Bass Pickups

Post by Aussie Mark » 29 Nov 2017, 12:34

How about the Hong Kong buckers that Veebass installed in his Thunderbird? I think they cost less than $100 a pair and Russ says they are better than the stock Gibson pickups.

My Fenderbird has Thunderbucker Ranch '66 Thunderbuckers which are great but they are closer to $400 a pair shipped.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 29 Nov 2017, 12:52

Aussie Mark wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 12:34
How about the Hong Kong buckers that Veebass installed in his Thunderbird? I think they cost less than $100 a pair and Russ says they are better than the stock Gibson pickups.

My Fenderbird has Thunderbucker Ranch '66 Thunderbuckers which are great but they are closer to $400 a pair shipped.
Hey Mark; I'm not sure they'll fit mate. I'm after ones that are the size of a normal Guitar Humbucker; like the pickups that came in the Les Paul Bass.
(It's a bit confusing, as I've seen the Gibson TB Plus's advertised as both Thunderbird type pickups & normal Humbucker pickups!! 8/ )
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 30 Nov 2017, 11:19

I can go fishing for my set of EMGs if I still have them and you're interested.
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 07 Dec 2017, 12:03

WestOfBen wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 11:19
I can go fishing for my set of EMGs if I still have them and you're interested.
Hey mate, sent you a PM. What type of EMG's are they?

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 07 Dec 2017, 19:09

Hey mate, sorry been an extremely busy week. I found them this morning. Black shell EMG Select. Two-wire models: SEHB. Price I would have to get back to you unless you wish to make an offer. They are in good condition and sounded fine from what I recall. Happy to chat more
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!

veebass

Post by veebass » 07 Dec 2017, 20:15

Paisley wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 12:52
Aussie Mark wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 12:34

Hey Mark; I'm not sure they'll fit mate. I'm after ones that are the size of a normal Guitar Humbucker; like the pickups that came in the Les Paul Bass.
(It's a bit confusing, as I've seen the Gibson TB Plus's advertised as both Thunderbird type pickups & normal Humbucker pickups!! 8/ )
Yes Gibson seem to call virtually all their ceramic bass humbuckers TB+s.

The guitar sized ones out of the Les Paul basses (I have two) and ES 335 Basses are very different sounding to those rounded edge plastic covered ones out of the TBirds. I suspect they are quite different pickups actually.

The guitar shaped Gibsons smoke the TBird pickups in my opinion. The Chinese buckers sound more like the guitar shaped TB+s. Here's a clip which shows the difference very well. I find the TB+s from TBirds muffled and indistinct like the clip.

Another option would be the Jim De Cola pickups they used in the 2015 TBird and the EB 14- great pickups, if you could find them for sale .
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.