FS Only: EA iAmp 500 -SOLD!

Forum rules
Before you post on this forum read the Forum Rules in the first stickied thread. Failure to do so can result in your threads or posts to be deleted without notice.

Bumping Etiquette: You can bump your sale thread only once every 3 days. You may however add additional information to your thread or keep a discussion going when you wish.

Classifieds are now a "Supporting Member" only section. This means threads can now only be started by Supporting Members. To become a supporting member click on Paypal Donate button at the bottom of this page.

WARNING: Ozbassforum.com and its staff take no responsibilites whatsoever for any transactions that occur in this forum. Use at your own risk.
basshack

FS Only: EA iAmp 500 -SOLD!

Post by basshack » 01 Feb 2012, 17:56

I'm looking to match my TecAmp L212 with a Puma Amp and am offering up for sale only my Euphonic Audio iAmp500. It's a lovely little Class D amplifier, 500W into 2 or 4ohm and 350W into 8ohm. Weighs 5.9kg according to the bathroom scales and has the most knobs and buttons per square cm that I have ever seen :D

It has inputs for active and passive basses as well as a stereo input for an auxiliary device like an MP3 player. It's got a really comprehensive tone shaping section which has nice presets or you can take advantage of the multitude of sliders, knobs and buttons and shape manually or do what I do for the "this is what my bass sounds like" and bypass it altogether with a little button push. Outputs for DI, headphones and tuner. It has an independent level control on effects loop and the DI which is selectable for pre and post EQ. I've never used them! It has clipping and input overload indication as well as the little dot on the i lighting up to show there is power available. I can't say the overload or clip light works as it hasn't been driven that hard. What more do you need? Okay it also has it's own carry bag and comes with the necessary leads. The speaker lead is Speakon to 1/4" TS about a meter long. As I said it hasn't had a hard life and has only been driven in anger once in my recent foray into Ska but I took along my old Warwick amp after that as I didn't want to abuse my nice new amp. If it were a car it would be only driven to Church on Sunday, oh that's really about what I use it for actually. :rolleyes

Want more? well that's about it except to say for you guys it's $1 per watt into 4 ohms or $84.75 per kg. Shipping for interstate buyers at cost.

Last edited by basshack on 08 Feb 2012, 23:54, edited 2 times in total.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Snoopygore71

Re: FS Only: EA iAmp 500

Post by Snoopygore71 » 01 Feb 2012, 18:33

Hi Blaine, you thinking 1ru 500 or 900?

How does this head sound in comparison to the Puma1000?

Cheers

Steve
Nordstrand, Sadowsky, Musicman, Ibanez, Aguilar, Bergantino, Mono, Source Audio and various and sundry. And all the stuff I sold I miss - Dingwall, Fender, R Bass, Bossa, SWR, Lecompte, LEJ, TecAmp

terry

Post by terry » 01 Feb 2012, 18:48

This thing sounds pretty sterile in my opinion.
Low End Jazz 5 - EBS Reidmar 250 - MarkBass RJ15

Bass Lesson Enquiries: roma.terry@gmail.com

jamiesdad

Post by jamiesdad » 01 Feb 2012, 18:55

terry wrote:This thing sounds pretty sterile in my opinion.
bit harsh terry ...they are pretty neutrally voiced, like AI stuff. maxgroover's sad into one through a pair of Bergs sounded pretty damn good.
Friendly Forum Mod

basshack

Post by basshack » 01 Feb 2012, 18:56

After the amp vs speaker thread I'm think the new 900 Puma. I was talking with Jon at Thump and we had pretty much decided on the 500 again but if excusions blow speakers and thermal watts has little impact then I'm thinking of future proofing myself or at least Ben. At some stage he's gonna want more speakers and do the merry go round.

As to comparisions I think this is more transparent than the Puma. It's hard to say, Classic5 had his L212 with the Puma and it sounded great but there is some coloration there as well from memory but I've never had the opportunity to sit quietly and compare the two. Classic5 might have the best idea as he owned both and may of tried them out on the L212. He got the Puma as the iamp wouldn't handle the bigger speakers he has I think.
Last edited by basshack on 01 Feb 2012, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

basshack

Post by basshack » 01 Feb 2012, 19:00

oh I'd have to disagree with you Terry, this unit is far from sterile. It is what your bass is when it is bypassed I reckon. It's got a ton of shaping options so you can dial in what you need or want.

Snoopygore71

Post by Snoopygore71 » 01 Feb 2012, 19:50

basshack wrote:After the amp vs speaker thread I'm think the new 900 Puma. I was talking with Jon at Thump and we had pretty much decided on the 500 again but if excusions blow speakers and thermal watts has little impact then I'm thinking of future proofing myself or at least Ben. At some stage he's gonna want more speakers and do the merry go round.

As to comparisions I think this is more transparent than the Puma. It's hard to say, Classic5 had his L212 with the Puma and it sounded great but there is some coloration there as well from memory but I've never had the opportunity to sit quietly and compare the two. Classic5 might have the best idea as he owned both and may of tried them out on the L212. He got the Puma as the iamp wouldn't handle the bigger speakers he has I think.
True enough, I love the Puma :D

Best of luck and would look at this as a backup if I can get $$
Nordstrand, Sadowsky, Musicman, Ibanez, Aguilar, Bergantino, Mono, Source Audio and various and sundry. And all the stuff I sold I miss - Dingwall, Fender, R Bass, Bossa, SWR, Lecompte, LEJ, TecAmp

terry

Post by terry » 01 Feb 2012, 19:53

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. Mind you I have a bit of problem with communicating sometimes, hehe. I was trying to say that the amp is transparent. I played the higher wattage version at George's and didn't quite like it. Just a matter of taste I guess. But Matt's sounded real good indeed. I guess it's just about mix and match on the cabs.
Low End Jazz 5 - EBS Reidmar 250 - MarkBass RJ15

Bass Lesson Enquiries: roma.terry@gmail.com

JMAN

Post by JMAN » 02 Feb 2012, 09:10

I have the EA iAmp 800 watt and it IS transparent. Very Transparent. Initially clean and sterile, but play with the EQ and you'll be rewarded. They are great heads with fantastic very adjustable toneshaping control. The sliders, switches and knobs ARE sensitive in that each little adjustment will give something different in sound. I found that I disengage the tone/preamp switch at home but at gigs, I found myself using the contour switches. Alone/solo/home, I found the contour switches disappointing tonewise, but in an ensemble situation, they boost the right frequencies if you need to punch through the mix. EA got their research done right in that regards. My jazz and Bossa basses sound so radically different through the EA but they retain their own voices and both require a different EQ curve at times. The amount of bass freq. these amps put out can be near on ridiculous. I'm talking pants flapping bass... put this down to the weighty toroid transformer in it. At $500 it's a steal.
PS. if the preamp gain is pushed to 3 o'clock, a tubey type warmth breaks into the tone, and as one guitarist said to me on stage "your sound is so f#*&ing PHAT!" (j bass with flats into EA 800, 212 cab).
Good luck with the sale Basshack.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 03 Feb 2012, 21:16

At $500 you just can't go wrong with this amp. When they first came out they were about $1,300 or more. It's an excellent amp with awesome tone shaping options. I went for the Puma head with the Puma cab as the two were really made for each other. But I do like the EA sound, very clean and fast response. You can always dirty the sound up with a stomp boxes if that's what you're after. For $500 you won't find a better amp IMO :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

ScottyBoy

Post by ScottyBoy » 04 Feb 2012, 03:36

Lets hope you don't post on my for sale threads! :eyebrow:

Back to the amp. I had one of these, and for comparison have owned other little amps, Markbass LMII and Aguilar TH500. I still have fond memories of it. It is a great amp! Yes they are CLEAN - they are supposed to be. They have PLENTY of juice, they are designed where you can really run the pre-gain hot. A lot of tone options. THat is a bargain in my opinion.

GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG » 04 Feb 2012, 09:01

Definitley NOT sterile.
They are great at what they were designed to do which is to give you a very clear, uncoloured sound, basically a blank canvas which to me is not a bad thing. Gives you full control over your sound and lets the character of your bass or speaker's character shine through without any interference from the amp itself.
Like Scotty said they are desinged to be run hard at the input/preamp gain and theres ample juice when used this way.
Good Luck Blaine - that is a great price for a great amp with unlimited features and tone shaping.
George Ganakas
Owner of Bass Gear Direct - Dealer / Importer for Bergantino Audio, Euphonic Audio, Glockenklang, Roscoe Guitars & Sadowsky Guitars
www.bassgeardirect.com.au

basshack

Post by basshack » 04 Feb 2012, 09:26

Thanks for all the positive endorsement guys.

It's cheap because that's what I paid for it, pure and simple. There is nothing wrong with it, I'm not dumping it because it doesn't suit anymore it's just I want to match up my rig and I am very impressed with what Classic5 gets out of his L212 and Puma set. A little bit different than the EA but very nice too.

Snoopygore71

Post by Snoopygore71 » 04 Feb 2012, 10:53

+1 to what Blaine is saying. I have used Berg neo and ceramics, SWR and some others. That tweeter switch for the TecAmp is sweet and I reckon TecAmp head and cab is very nice.

I've heard the Iamp a couple of times and am impressed.

Cheers

basshack

Post by basshack » 07 Feb 2012, 21:50

It's been three days already and no-one has brought my amp bump!