Andy Irvine "Sound of Bass" Australian Workshop Tour

Distributes fine bass products AUS wide via retail dealer network. Brands include Warwick, Rockbass, Seymour Duncan Basslines, EBS, Morley, Rockbag, Bullet, Core X2, Rockstand, FODERA, B-BAND, DTAR and more.
basshack

Re: Andy Irvine "Sound of Bass" Australian Workshop Tour

Post by basshack » 01 May 2014, 22:30

From an email sent to us today from Dominant!

Thanks very much for registering to attend the Sound Of Bass Workshop!

Due to overwhelming demand, the address of the Box Hill Instritute workshops have had to change to a bigger theatre!

The new address is
465 Elgar Road, Box Hill 3128.

The Box Hill workshop is a special event - There is heaps more Bass Fun to be had earlier on in the day!

From 2.00 - 3.00 there will be a clinic on rhythm section playing and finding the groove with Lucas Taranto on bass, Ben Wiesner on drums and Robert Bratetich on guitar.
To finish the day Andy Irvine will be on a 5.00 presenting a bass clinic.
There will be a display of rare Warwick Instruments!
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

bloodmason

Post by bloodmason » 02 May 2014, 19:11

On my way in to the Adelaide workshop now :D
www.facebook.com/EmergencyRule
www.facebook.com/CaptainHellfireBand
I actually play the skinny strings in Captain Hellfire.... please don't kick me out of the club :peep:

Boopbohead

Post by Boopbohead » 03 May 2014, 15:49

How was it?
Kingy

basshack

Post by basshack » 03 May 2014, 21:01

Really interesting. Discussions throughout the afternoon centred around timing, groove and learning from all the presenters. Rob Little spoke and played well working through a music book he was involved in and is part of the syllabus. I don't envy the students who have to learn some of the pieces the timing was challenging.

Dominant had a range of basses on show in the foyer including the new Fortress and the whole show was run through the new LWA1000 and an LW410. There was a rack of Hellborg gear on stage as well but I'm not sure it was used. Didn't need it though the new gear sounded really good.

Andy was very easy to listen to, chatty and obviously passionate and there were a few "take-homes" like count in 16ths. He set this little 4 note groove up and developed it over a few minutes, held a sustained note at the end for around 10 seconds, all while chatting, and amazingly (to me at least) slid back down the board and finished it right on the 1. I had to ask him whether that was deliberate and he does it by continuing the counting in the spaces he creates but also thinking about the development of the chordal structure at the same time as he improvises. He certainly knows he scales and such as you'd expect from a very talented guy.

My highlight was talking with him afterwards, couldn't bring myself to beforehand but had to thank him afterwards. Nice guy. I hope the rest of the shows are as good as this one
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 03 May 2014, 21:16

Thoroughly enjoyed it as well (talking about the Melbourne event), good to see Blaine and Luke (who lives just around the corner from me but we travel 30 km to catch up).

Some interesting messages, not unexpectedly "know your stuff" but in the same breath "forget about it when you play". Counting was high on the agenda (which I don't do, might be something to look into). Lucas (?) Taranto talked some about pushing and laying back (just ahead, or just behind the beat) which I have been thinking about a lot lately myself (caused by exposure to a number of different drummers). He had a gorgeous Fodera.

And following on from that the sound was indeed amazing. Everyone had "their" sound playing through the same rig. Pretty cool.

And yes, some amazing Warwick timber. My first look at Mono bags, now on the shopping list (only item, I am happy otherwise).

Great afternoon all round, looking forward to the next one. Nice to catch up with Michael from Dominant as well - I'll show you my 90 Thumb 4 NT next time.

Regards,
Michael
Last edited by drbass on 04 May 2014, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

FunkDragon

Post by FunkDragon » 03 May 2014, 23:39

Thanks Dominant & Andy!

Andy is a cool cat. I like his approach to music and life.
I went to the Brisbane event.
Was cool to meet & hear Andy.
It's ALL about the groove!
Spector - ReBop MM 4, & Legend Custom 5 :partydance:
Genz Benz GBE750
Ampeg Portaflex 4x10

groovinbass.com

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 04 May 2014, 10:32

I'll be there in Sydney tomorrow night
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 04 May 2014, 13:00

A few of us Sydney guys are going to the nearby Arthouse Hotel for a bite to eat and a beer beforehand. All welcome. 6pm on the ground floor.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

wilbur88

Post by wilbur88 » 04 May 2014, 13:06

We always miss out on the fun stuff in WA. :cry

And the workshops too. :cool:
'82 Steinberger L-2 : '78 Gibson Grabber G3 : '06 Gibson T-bird : '06 Gretsch G6072 Country Gentleman : '11 Fender 60th Anniversary P : '78 Guild B302F : '05 Warwick CS SS1 5

Fender TV

Sp00ge0nBass

Post by Sp00ge0nBass » 05 May 2014, 18:36

I'll be there tonight in syd, suicidal tendencies beanie if anyone sees me say hi!
Most of my bass playing is done here : https://www.facebook.com/AtlantisOfTheSky

Sp00ge0nBass

Post by Sp00ge0nBass » 05 May 2014, 21:32

What an amazing experience and an amazing guy, I definitely recommend every to go and share his experience.

Most of my bass playing is done here : https://www.facebook.com/AtlantisOfTheSky

jamiesdad

Post by jamiesdad » 06 May 2014, 07:06

Thanks to the crew at Dominant for bringing him out ... Very interesting night. Didn't help my thumb bass GAS. :)
Friendly Forum Mod

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 06 May 2014, 07:23

Ditto. Andy made many good points, and he made them well. It sounds like we got a different show to the other states, no talk about counting while you play ......

Special thanks to Craig Calhoun for asking the Allens staff to do something about the dozens of rattling snare drums in the store. Things sounded much better without the tscscscscscsc drone in the background.

I'll admit I Googled the thumb bass on the train on the way home. I wonder why the pickup position on the 5 is so different to the 4?
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

drbass

Post by drbass » 06 May 2014, 10:09

Petebass wrote: I'll admit I Googled the thumb bass on the train on the way home. I wonder why the pickup position on the 5 is so different to the 4?
Always wondered that myself ...
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

BassInvader

Post by BassInvader » 06 May 2014, 18:54

More than likely is offset to catch the sweet spot of the B string. The 6 string version is different again... not quite as drastically as between the 4 and 5 though