NEW BLACKOUTS FOR BASS

Distributes fine bass products AUS wide via retail dealer network. Brands include Warwick, Rockbass, Seymour Duncan Basslines, EBS, Morley, Rockbag, Bullet, Core X2, Rockstand, FODERA, B-BAND, DTAR and more.
Dominant Music

NEW BLACKOUTS FOR BASS

Post by Dominant Music » 10 Jul 2009, 11:00

Santa Barbara, California - Building on the smash success of Seymour Duncan's Blackouts for guitar, Basslines new active 4- and 5-string soapbars and on-board Tone Circuits are voiced for the aggressive active bass tones of metal, classic metal, punk and heavy rock. Instead of the radical EQ boosting and cutting required to make flat, sterile pickups come alive, Blackouts for Bass deliver the goods with less tweaking. The pickups use the popular "Phase II" cover and are drop-in replacements for many basses. They include all necessary mounting hardware including high-quality potentiometers on pre-wired harness; battery clip; and stereo jack.

The Tone Circuit offers two focused bands of EQ dialed-in to the frequencies that metal players need most. Blackouts for Bass have more of what you want: cleaner highs, deeper lows, and greater dynamic range than traditional active bass pickups. This high energy, expansive sound is capable of covering all your other gigs with ease. The Tone Circuit comes in two versions: one with separate bass and treble knobs and one with a stacked, concentric bass/treble control which can replace your tone knob avoiding the need to drill additional holes. With both versions, we include black anodized, knurled, dome-style knobs.

Basslines has kicked off the launch of Blackouts for Bass with a micro-site and video featuring Monster, the hard-hitting bassist of the hardcore punk-metal band Jugulur. Visit http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 487761E863 in action and hear Blackouts for Bass. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

PilbaraBass

Re: NEW BLACKOUTS FOR BASS

Post by PilbaraBass » 10 Jul 2009, 12:40

Excuse my apparent ignorance, but what exactly IS a metal player looking for?

Perhaps some of you harder-cored players can elaborate.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

ROON

Post by ROON » 18 Jul 2009, 13:20

PilbaraBass wrote:Excuse my apparent ignorance, but what exactly IS a metal player looking for?

It's hard to say, one EQ setting might work well for thrash metal but suck really badly for power metal. There are too many sub-genres and styles, you can't cover every sound with one setting. But I guess if you had to generalise, I'd say most players want a fairly big amount of mids.
- Josh

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 20 Jul 2009, 08:49

ROON wrote:
PilbaraBass wrote:Excuse my apparent ignorance, but what exactly IS a metal player looking for?

It's hard to say, one EQ setting might work well for thrash metal but suck really badly for power metal. There are too many sub-genres and styles, you can't cover every sound with one setting. But I guess if you had to generalise, I'd say most players want a fairly big amount of mids.
Thanks, I think I get it…it’s that whole thing about having enough mids to cut through the mix.

This could explain why I see more metal players with basses with humbuckers in them rather than single coils. Jason Newsted with his Sadowsky is an exception, unless of course he uses the stacked noiseless pickups in his bass which are definitely more mid-focused than the SC’s.

I know that SD has been putting a strong marketing emphasis on the metal players with the blackouts (such as using Monster in their BP mag ad campaign).

I just get a bit critical of these sort of marketing, and just want to cut it down to the more technical details.

In short, I don’t care who plays the gear, I want to know how the gear sounds.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Pantsman

Post by Pantsman » 20 Jul 2009, 11:08

Really tight clear lows to keep things from getting muddy when your speed picking and it helps give you a percussive feel. I like a large boost at around 350Hz and another at 1100Hz, that usually gets me cutting right through the guitars and kick, treble is usually just adjusted to the situation :D

But I use active or passive single coils (Jazz basses or sometimes a P), I feel humbuckers can get very loose in the lows if your not careful.

Dominant Music

Post by Dominant Music » 20 Jul 2009, 17:07

PilbaraBass wrote:
ROON wrote:

Thanks, I think I get it…it’s that whole thing about having enough mids to cut through the mix.

This could explain why I see more metal players with basses with humbuckers in them rather than single coils. Jason Newsted with his Sadowsky is an exception, unless of course he uses the stacked noiseless pickups in his bass which are definitely more mid-focused than the SC’s.

I know that SD has been putting a strong marketing emphasis on the metal players with the blackouts (such as using Monster in their BP mag ad campaign).

I just get a bit critical of these sort of marketing, and just want to cut it down to the more technical details.

In short, I don’t care who plays the gear, I want to know how the gear sounds.
There has been a big marketing campaign with Monster, just so you know you can always find technical info on the Duncan site, and we are always happy to answer any questions too!