6 String Fretless DCO - #023

Modern and vintage style electric basses handmade in South East Queensland.
maxgroover

6 String Fretless DCO - #023

Post by maxgroover » 11 Feb 2013, 10:49

That looks amazing Phil! You've done it again. Would love to hear some sound samples. :yep
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

Phil
Site Admin

Re: 6 String Fretless DCO - #023

Post by Phil » 11 Feb 2013, 19:28

Peter TRB wrote:Nice job Phil.
Maybe I should read all the posts rather than look at the pictures but what is the wood in the heal of the bass? I think I have now answered that question _ Wenge. Is this a new addition to your design? I see this in the foderas and wonder whether it is a design feature or actually impacts on the sound of the instrument.
No impact whatsoever it's all decorative :) its just a piece of veneer about 0.6mm thick, I usually do that sort of transition on set-neck basses, I just haven't built one in a while now :D
Peter TRB wrote: I note single pole on the six string C on a number of basses . Is it appropriate for me to ask here what is the purpose of this configuration?
More questions- the bass hsould have a nice thick low mids with the Mohogany body - what is the redwood burl going to do the sound? Would this bass sound like wenge/ warwicks - only for me to have a refrence point.
cheers Peter
I'm not sure what you mean by a single pole on the C, if that's about having one or two pole pieces per string on the pickup, so far I've never seen this on one string only on a bass (just for the C) but logically it does make sense since the pole piece would cover the whole magnetic field of the string just like on guitar strings.

And unfortunately, I'm probably the worse person in the world to tell you what wood would sound like what, to me a bass sound like its pickups/preamps with only very slight tonal changes in wood and which wood in the 6 or 7 different ones does what in a multi-laminated bass, well, beats me! :lol: That being said, I do believe the fingerboard wood will probably give you the most identifiable characteristics to sound in the total equation.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 11 Feb 2013, 19:40

Congrats on yet another fine bass Phil :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

Kevin

Post by Kevin » 13 Feb 2013, 22:25

Phil wrote:
Peter TRB wrote:Nice job Phil.
Maybe I should read all the posts rather than look at the pictures but what is the wood in the heal of the bass? I think I have now answered that question _ Wenge. Is this a new addition to your design? I see this in the foderas and wonder whether it is a design feature or actually impacts on the sound of the instrument.
No impact whatsoever it's all decorative :) its just a piece of veneer about 0.6mm thick, I usually do that sort of transition on set-neck basses, I just haven't built one in a while now :D
Peter TRB wrote: I note single pole on the six string C on a number of basses . Is it appropriate for me to ask here what is the purpose of this configuration?
More questions- the bass hsould have a nice thick low mids with the Mohogany body - what is the redwood burl going to do the sound? Would this bass sound like wenge/ warwicks - only for me to have a refrence point.
cheers Peter
I'm not sure what you mean by a single pole on the C, if that's about having one or two pole pieces per string on the pickup, so far I've never seen this on one string only on a bass (just for the C) but logically it does make sense since the pole piece would cover the whole magnetic field of the string just like on guitar strings.

And unfortunately, I'm probably the worse person in the world to tell you what wood would sound like what, to me a bass sound like its pickups/preamps with only very slight tonal changes in wood and which wood in the 6 or 7 different ones does what in a multi-laminated bass, well, beats me! :lol: That being said, I do believe the fingerboard wood will probably give you the most identifiable characteristics to sound in the total equation.
In my 20 or so years of playing, I believe that the sound of the bass mainly comes from the neck wood not the body wood but its only a mad theory, I have nothing to back my claims up with, Phil I didn't realise you stopped putting the dots into your logo :bat: My bass still hasn't got here' as soon as it does I'll let know :drool:

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 14 Feb 2013, 05:14

Thanks, its been stuck in Coventry awaiting clearance since the 7th according to the tracker, that's pretty long. For the dots, these were actually too complicated for the cutter to cut them out in the foil i used as they were tiny, like 1mm diameter, so got dropped

Kevin

Post by Kevin » 18 Feb 2013, 05:02

Phil wrote:Thanks, its been stuck in Coventry awaiting clearance since the 7th according to the tracker, that's pretty long. For the dots, these were actually too complicated for the cutter to cut them out in the foil i used as they were tiny, like 1mm diameter, so got dropped
No worries Phil, the logo isn't a worry, just getting my hands on it will be all I need, I'll let you know how the sound check goes when it arrives :popcorn: