Vintage Fender Custom Colours - Available Ones

Modern and vintage style electric basses handmade in South East Queensland.
Phil
Site Admin

Vintage Fender Custom Colours - Available Ones

Post by Phil » 16 Mar 2012, 07:36

POST EDIT 29-03-2012
In this first post you can see all the Fender Custom Colours that were offered in the 60's. I can offer all these colours on my basses. I bought original car paint chips from the 50's and 60's to get the true original colours and can have these paints matched locally. All pics below, I should probably mention that these are offered only on full builds, there's unfortunately not enough days in a week for me to take on refinishing work. Additional to these colours I can also do sunburst, blond and Candy Apple Red
End EDIT

I was just reading MrMow's Daphne Blue Jazz sale thread and saw the GAS from a few members (I'm pointing at you SpankyAndy :lol:) in there for the vintage custom colours and tought it would be a good idea to post this thread up and not pollute MrMow's sale. :)

I've been collecting original car paint chips from the 50's for the last couple of years in the hope of getting all of the Fender pre-CBS custom colours. I already had a few of them until I fell onto a website advertising a book, Fender:The Golden Age 1946-1970, it had the best pics I had ever seen of the original Fender Colour Charts on it. The book btw is absolutely gorgeous, anyone that love looking at beautiful pictures of vintage Fender gear should get it, I could get lost in it for days.

Here's the colour charts in question, my available colours to be seen after.

This one is the colour chart that came out in 1961, it was their first official one and kept in print until 1963

This one was the available colours from 1963 to 1965

This colour chart was used from 1965 to about 1970

Lake PLacid Blue

Daphne Blue

Sonic Blue

Shoreline Gold

Olympic White

Burgundy Mist

Sherwood Green

Foam Green

Surf Green

Inca Silver

Fiesta Red

Dakota Red

Shell Pink

Blue Ice

Firemist Gold

Charcoal Frost

Teal Green

Firemist Silver

Still missing Ocean Turquoise, to come soon

I found and bought the Fender The Golden Age book just a week ago and having found these colour charts made me more motivated to find the rest of the vintage colours so I went and bought more car chips. Already bought waiting to come in the mail are these colours, pics will go up when I get them.

Foam Green
Sonic Blue
Surf Green
Inca Silver

EDIT: Well I went and did it :rolleyes after I posted these I looked up which I was missing and saw there was only Shoreline Gold not in there so I went on Ebay and bought it, so soon to come pics of that one too.

BTW I should probably mention that Candy Apple Red was the only true custom colour. Fender created this colour themselves so there's no car paint chips available for that one. CAR is made by spraying a white metallic paint on the body and spraying a tinted red lacquer over it.

Rude_Mechanical

Re: Vintage Fender Custom Colours - Available Ones

Post by Rude_Mechanical » 16 Mar 2012, 07:52

Where's the forum Like button when you need it? :)
"Turn everything to 11, dump instruments in front of the amp and manipulate pedals for 5 minutes" - me.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 16 Mar 2012, 08:02

Digging the yellow!

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 16 Mar 2012, 08:12

Me too, there's a few colours in these sheets that I wouldn't mind trying out, it would get pretty expensive in wood and lacquer to try all the ones I like though 8/ So far I've got gas for Sherwood Green and Burgundy Mist, I'm thinking a Sherwood Green P would look pretty awesome :hmm

brooksi

Post by brooksi » 16 Mar 2012, 08:13

Nice find :cool:
And if its a good paint shop you can buy as little as 250mls at a time. :yep Go to a good crash suppliers,not your local super cheap :D
Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.
Powered by Pals, Motivated by Mates.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 16 Mar 2012, 08:22

I use Mirotone Paints and Lacquers, unfortunately I have to get a tin of 4 ltr at a time :( but hey, at least I get enough colour for a good dozen basses 8/

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 16 Mar 2012, 09:16

+1 on the yellow... I would love redoing my P-bass in Yellow with a black pickguard (already has black hardware, so it would look sick!). If I did that, I'd be putting a maple neck on her, too... (project for another time :( )
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 16 Mar 2012, 09:34

PilbaraBass wrote:+1 on the yellow... I would love redoing my P-bass in Yellow with a black pickguard (already has black hardware, so it would look sick!). If I did that, I'd be putting a maple neck on her, too... (project for another time :( )
+1 - there was a 70's P on TB recently, refinished yellow with black pg as you described.... I drooled over it continually and saved the photos. Yellow and orange are the other colours that turn my head on instruments.

Andy

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 16 Mar 2012, 09:39

^sending you a PM for photos
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 16 Mar 2012, 09:54

PM replied to - sorry for the edit, don't want to derail Phil's thread.

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 16 Mar 2012, 10:00

Phil,

This is seriously all kinds of awesome. Think mega awesome and then add some... Thanks for sharing this.

Out of curiosity, how many of your instruments have been finished a solid colour? I seem to remember more natural finishes.

Andy

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 16 Mar 2012, 10:40

SpankyAndy wrote:Out of curiosity, how many of your instruments have been finished a solid colour? I seem to remember more natural finishes.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8306

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 16 Mar 2012, 10:54

SpankyAndy wrote:Phil,

This is seriously all kinds of awesome. Think mega awesome and then add some... Thanks for sharing this.

Out of curiosity, how many of your instruments have been finished a solid colour? I seem to remember more natural finishes.

Andy
I thought you'd like it :lol: and thanks Mark for the link, so yeah, five in total, two whites, one black and two seafoams, hopefully i'll have a bit of time to make some soon with some of these colours

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 16 Mar 2012, 11:14

other colours i'd like to see on Mailloux product

burgundy mist...mmmmmm...
shell pink...sexy
fiesta red...hot and spicy

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 16 Mar 2012, 12:04

PilbaraBass wrote:other colours i'd like to see on Mailloux product

burgundy mist...mmmmmm...
shell pink...sexy
fiesta red...hot and spicy
+1billion!

Another of my favourites is the silver that Fender used for the 25th Aniiversary Stratocasters in the 1970's. As a kid, the music shop in Penrith had one hanging high up on the wall and I remember just staring at it through the window for ages. The price back then was insane.

Someone told me the colour was called "Porsche Silver", but I've never checked. Music Man used to do Stingrays in a similar colour in the late 70's-early 80's. Benjamin Orr from The Cars used to play a Stingray in that colour. I think Carey Nordstrand makes his new MM style bass (the one with the odd pickguard) in that colour too.

Andy
Last edited by SpankyAndy on 16 Mar 2012, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.