Wrenn's Bass VI - #017

Modern and vintage style electric basses handmade in South East Queensland.
Phil
Site Admin

Re: Wrenn's Bass VI - #017

Post by Phil » 06 Jan 2011, 23:16

Its just a regular centre punch, you mark the wood with it first in the exact place where you want the hole and the depression from the punch guides the drill bit as you're drilling in the sides.

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 07 Jan 2011, 02:48

It's looking sweeeettttttttt! :hyper: :partydance: :notworthy:
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Basses: LEJ 5/24
Head: Glockenklang Blue Soul/ Cab: Schroeder 1212
Combo: Hartke Kickback KB12

basshack

Post by basshack » 07 Jan 2011, 07:06

Phil wrote:You'll have to explain how you can unintentionally buy a bass like that
Well Leo had been posting and was getting a bit worried about getting decent money for the Streamer. I was up early with the kids and browsing Ebay as I do and it was finishing in 4 hours and there was no action on it for days and it looked like it was going to drop really cheaply.... So I put a bid in.... Didn't intend to win it but figured that worst case I had a good instrument at a crazy price and best case Leo got a bit more than what he was probably going to get. Anyway with about 20 minutes to go one of the other bidders woke up and trumped me by $40, with 5 minutes to go it is still way cheap and I up him by $40 and since my bid plus postage is $2K I was going to stop there. See I was on a "no buy gear off ebay" policy with the wife and saving hard for a Tecamp L212 so I am in trouble anyway for bidding and I don't have the funds so I am happy to let it go if trumped again. Anyway the other bidder didn't come back. :shrug: And I have joined those lucky lot who have one of Crosstick's hand me downs. :thumbup:

That's how you unintentionally by a great bass at a silly price.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 07 Jan 2011, 18:00

That story just cracks me up Blaine......only because it sounds like something I would do.

.......looks like you're in big trouble :clap:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 07 Jan 2011, 18:07

LOL..... OK I'm no English professor, but I don't get how it's "unintentional" when you bid for it not once, but twice :)
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Bill Paulin

Post by Bill Paulin » 08 Jan 2011, 08:12

Sometimes unintentional really works out. My wife and I didn't intend to migrate to Australia back in '81. We applied for permanent resident visas because a normal six month visa just wasn't going to be long enough. We didn't get back to the States for ten years and by then we were ruined for the place.

I saw Wrenn's Bass VI yesterday and it's going to be very tasty. The whole concept of a Bass VI is new to me and it's smaller than I expected. Hope you don't mind, but I'm keen to have just a bit of a play on it before it goes out.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 08 Jan 2011, 16:04

Bill, I vaguely recall you being an expat yank, like myself, but it must've slipped my mind.

I intentionally moved to Australia (wife's Aussie), with the option of moving back to the states with the wife at any time. 10 years on, there's no sign of going state-side any time soon. I've been back once in 2008 and that pretty much cured any remnant of home-sickness I may have had.

Back on subject... patiently waiting to see a pickguard :)
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

basshack

Post by basshack » 08 Jan 2011, 17:23

Not wanting to go off topic again but I qualify that I didn't wake up with the intention of buying Crossticks bass. From the first bid to the last I did not think I would buy it, it was just too good an instrument to fall at that price and somebody would have had the funds to make a good purchase and still be able to put a sensible value on the instrument.

It's the way of auctions that occasionally stuff drops for less than it should because the right people aren't there but the second bidder shouldn't of stopped 5 minutes out and $40 behind on a instrument that they were willing to commit $1800 on just 20 minutes earlier.

I was in big big trouble for a little while but things are calmer now and I have to sell some stuff to pay for it or offload it for profit. "because it is such a good bass at a silly price" Why did I say that in her presence? Leo is convinced it is better than the HotRod so selling that and the rest of my gear should pay for it and still see me get the L212.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 13 Jan 2011, 20:27

Bill Paulin wrote:I saw Wrenn's Bass VI yesterday and it's going to be very tasty. The whole concept of a Bass VI is new to me and it's smaller than I expected. Hope you don't mind, but I'm keen to have just a bit of a play on it before it goes out.
Bill I don't know if you're askin' me or Phil but if it's me you're most welcome to try it :D :drinkingbuddies:
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Basses: LEJ 5/24
Head: Glockenklang Blue Soul/ Cab: Schroeder 1212
Combo: Hartke Kickback KB12

22pauld22

Post by 22pauld22 » 18 Jan 2011, 00:53

ah your doing compression rods phil . you'll be saying yes to one peice necks with skunk strips next :peep:

I'll have to save a bit harder as i thought it would take longer to get to that stage . 8/

love a good skunk strip :)
maton jb4 godin bg5 a double bass and a yammy trb6p
will get a mailloux one day !

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 18 Jan 2011, 05:14

Back routed compression rod pockets/skunk stripes are a major pain in the ass though :D There's not much point in doing them if you use a separate fingerboard. Its just a lot more work for nothing. The only reason you'd want one is if you plan on using a one piece Maple neck with the top face used as the fingerboard like on 50's Fenders

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 18 Jan 2011, 08:38

my P-bass has a rosewood board with a skunk stripe. I like the look of the skunk stripe, and I suspect the maple strip may add a little to stability. But, I also suspect that it would be significantly easier to do a lam neck maple/walnut/maple instead and the overall effect would be similar (except stability would be more improved).

I couldn't tell you what kind of rod is in it. However, I suspect it's a compression-style single rod, as the adjustment nut is an "X"-slot type and is located at the body end.

By the way, another issue with compression rods, is that the rod actually loads the wood (compresses it to a degree). And wood isn't a completely uniform thing, so some areas of the neck will load slightly more than others, resulting in slight irregularities over time until the neck becomes completely stable.

I noticed slight irregularities like this on my P-bass, which I assembled in '91...I reckon a fret-removal, dressing of the fingerboard, and re-fret would be in order to correct this. The action is already good on the P-bass and it's not really an issue, but if I wanted it to be better, this would be the only course of action to take.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

mkat

Post by mkat » 18 Jan 2011, 10:06

Yeah, should be a compression rod. I reckon you'll get a better neck with other methods. I personally dislike the skunk stripe. My preference is the rod under the finger board and no stripe. Agree with Phil, a waste of effort and PITA for zero gain.
Michael
http://mklutherie.com

int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 18 Jan 2011, 10:18

mkat wrote: My preference is the rod under the finger board and no stripe. Agree with Phil, a waste of effort and PITA for zero gain.
Maybe it's one of those things that you consider when you're into mass production? Then again probably not.....
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 18 Jan 2011, 10:44

Petebass wrote:
mkat wrote: My preference is the rod under the finger board and no stripe. Agree with Phil, a waste of effort and PITA for zero gain.
Maybe it's one of those things that you consider when you're into mass production? Then again probably not.....
you can always go the Steve Wishnevsky way and not install ANY trussrod... I can attest personally, that a wishnevsky neck is INCREDIBLY stable, but that comes with the price of being completely non-adjustable and thicker than Magda Szubanski's ankles. :D