5-string set neck - Mailloux #003

Modern and vintage style electric basses handmade in South East Queensland.
Phil
Site Admin

5-string set neck - Mailloux #003

Post by Phil » 29 Oct 2008, 21:32

I've mentioned this bass in a few other threads, I might as well show it here.

If I remember correctly I started this bass in March 2006. I started this build to try different building techniques I hadn't done at that time. the goal was to sell it once it was completed to finance more builds and tools. It still is for sale whenever it'll be done. Most likely this late December.

The build has been going on so long because of its lack of a byer to start withand also because I ended up getting a couple of custom orders in at that time. Paying orders obviously go out the door first.

So here goes, here's all the timbers for it:

-Spalted Quilt maple for the top, back and headstock veneer
- Brazilian Mahogany body core, this is the lightest piece of mahogany I've ever seen, this bass will be a featherweight
- Wenge and Ash veneer
- Cocobolo Rosewod fretboard

Appart from that, it will have:
-Aguilar OBP-3, 3-band preamp
-Two dual coil Jazz type humbuckers
-Gotoh tuners
-Hipshot bridge
-black hardware

Here's the neck blank with a maple plate, these two part form the scarf joint, next pic, gluing the scarf joint.

The back was cut to size and the hole for the electronics cut out. Next pic, shows a different layer of the same piece of timber. That piece was used to make a continuous cover for the electronics cavity. 3rd pic, the cover cut out and inserted in the cavity.

Phil
Site Admin

Re: 5-string set neck - Mailloux #003

Post by Phil » 29 Oct 2008, 21:43

Neck blank has the truss rod routed and front adjustment hole. Second pic, with the Cocobolo fretboard on top. third pic, the neck blank

The body routed and the back plate glued on. Second, showing the veneer lines between the body. third, body and neck next to the top.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 29 Oct 2008, 21:55

Starting to get some carving

Slowly getting there

That's pretty much it, besides the fact that itis now fretted. I still need to finish off the sanding as its in very raw/just rasped shape, lacquer it, build the pickup and the wod covers and setup the whole thing.

Rick

Post by Rick » 29 Oct 2008, 21:58

More pics! More pics! :D

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 29 Oct 2008, 22:20

Allright, just for you Rick I popped it out of the case and took those. Don't blame me if the pics suck there's no more sun outside at this time :D

EDIT: which just reminded me I have to fix the big picture problem on the forum. :| Guess I'l go do that now.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 29 Oct 2008, 22:44

Looks good, I really hope you find a buyer for it. By the way what do call the extra bits of wood you add to build up heel of neck? I love that 'melted' look.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 29 Oct 2008, 22:52

veneer? :peep:

Some people call it a "tone block" if you believe such nonsense :rolleyes others call that a transition block.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 29 Oct 2008, 23:04

Phil wrote:veneer? :peep:

Some people call it a "tone block" if you believe such nonsense :rolleyes others call that a transition block.
I think I will stick with transition block, saying tone block makes it sound like your trying to sell it on day time TV.
"Are you tired not getting the tone thats in your head out of your bass? Well the answer is here! Thanks to the new Mailloux 5 string bass with added "tone block" , guaranteed great tone!

After countless years of research and development, the master craftsman at the Mailloux institute of Lutherie have found the secret to great tone gig after gig, the "tone block".

The "tone block" uses a combination of 5 different kinds of woods and 2 different types of glue to guarantee great tone every time you plug in.

Try a new Mailloux 5 string with added "tone block" today and remember if it doesn't have the "tone block" it doesn't have tone."

Does it show that I'm bored?

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 29 Oct 2008, 23:07

Thanks for writting my first add in Australian Guitar :peep:

As a matter of fact I think this tone block bullshit came out from Ed Roman's site or something like that. When I first read it it was strangely pretty close to what you wrote. :rollno:

mkat

Post by mkat » 29 Oct 2008, 23:09

Phil, those Spalted Quilt maple caps look fantastic, so does the headstock. Great work on this build. I also like the cocobolo fingerboard.
Michael
http://mklutherie.com

int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */

mkat

Tone block mojo...?

Post by mkat » 29 Oct 2008, 23:20

blizzard wrote:I think I will stick with transition block, saying tone block makes it sound like your trying to sell it on day time TV.
:D

...and don't forget the layered arrangement of selected veneer is an important guarded secret that will never be devulged :lol: to avoid being exposed as terminal BS artists...
Michael
http://mklutherie.com

int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */

Fun Size Nick

Post by Fun Size Nick » 29 Oct 2008, 23:28

@Blizzard: classic mate :D

Mikey

Post by Mikey » 04 Nov 2008, 12:31

That looks pretty nice. I can't wait to see how it looks when it's finished! What kind of electronics are you going to use?

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 04 Nov 2008, 13:07

It's going to have an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp with two jazz type dual coil humbuckers. Should sound pretty sweet :D

Rick

Post by Rick » 04 Nov 2008, 14:59

Alright Phil, I think it's about time you wired that beast up and got it playing. You better have this done before the GTG! :D :D :D