Mailloux Basses - 2014 Onwards

Modern and vintage style electric basses handmade in South East Queensland.
Phil
Site Admin

Mailloux Basses - 2014 Onwards

Post by Phil » 16 Nov 2013, 14:55

Hey guys,

Time to do the update about my life and Mailloux Basses :)

I took 2013 as a year off because I needed some much earned rest, for the 4 previous years I was pretty much flat out making builds one after the other non-stop. Seeing as how I have a full-time job the bass building occupied every single week-end and holiday away from work. At times I needed to take weeks off work just to finish builds and my Christmas vacations were pretty much all used up for builds. As can be expected this wasn’t great at all for family life and quite stressful really. I drastically cut down on the amounts of builds per year for 2012 to give myself a rest but this ended up still being too much so then took 2013 as real rest and relax period to give me time for myself and to do a study for work, which is now done and passed. In that year off there’s also been some health issues that have made me think about whether I still really want to go on as a business or if I just stop it all.

The end result is that no, I won’t stop it all as I do love building basses and I don’t think I could do away with it, however Mailloux Basses from now on will have a very limited production. I’m thinking 2 or 3 instruments per year. I don’t plan on ever having a waiting list again as that’s just too stressful, the stress of knowing 3 or 4 guys are waiting for their instruments to be build once I finish the current one is just not nice to have.

From now on I’ll likely offer instruments up for sale one at a time and it’ll be on a first come first served basis. I want to stick to instruments I like to build so that means Fender-style instruments, all the multi-laminated neck-through and set-neck stuff are just too much of a PITA to build and take forever to build. So the DCS, DCO and DCW models are no longer available.

So all this to come to the point that I’ve got time to do one build right now which will likely be finished in the next 6 months. If anyone wants a J or P in 4, 5 or 6 strings, vintage style or modern style (24 frets) send me a pm with your ideas for a quote.

terry

Re: Mailloux Basses - 2014 Onwards

Post by terry » 16 Nov 2013, 16:13

Hell yeah.
Low End Jazz 5 - EBS Reidmar 250 - MarkBass RJ15

Bass Lesson Enquiries: roma.terry@gmail.com

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 16 Nov 2013, 17:30

You gotta look after no 1 Phil.

Just a thought - there is a business model whereby you use price to control demand. Obviously increasing prices slows demand. It's all about finding the price point where demand averages 2-3 instruments a year. And the increased margin can't hurt.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 16 Nov 2013, 17:39

Call me a bad business man but I just couldn't justify it to myself to charge something like 4k & up for a Fender clone, that just seems nuts for what it is. Then again I have no interest to do this as a full time gig, I'm happy with the pocket money I get out of it. Two or three basses a year will keep it interesting enough for both the building and the financial parts

jamiesdad

Post by jamiesdad » 16 Nov 2013, 17:53

sounds good phil, finding the happy medium is really important.

5 string precision in aussie timbers (dark board) pls ;)
Friendly Forum Mod

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 08 Jan 2014, 19:13

Great to see you are back building, it is a shame to see the DCS, DCO etc. disappear though. Why not still keep them but limit the build options i.e. bolt on only.

bloodmason

Post by bloodmason » 09 Jan 2014, 11:18

Phil wrote:So the DCS, DCO and DCW models are no longer available.
This is a shame.... but I am a silver lining kinda guy - this means my DCS just became an even rarer beast :D
All the more reason for me to never sell it :yep

Good luck with it all Phil. If I ever get the hankering for a new Fender style jobbie I'll definitely be coming to you :)
www.facebook.com/EmergencyRule
www.facebook.com/CaptainHellfireBand
I actually play the skinny strings in Captain Hellfire.... please don't kick me out of the club :peep:

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 09 Jan 2014, 16:10

Those models are just way too long and complicated to build, its not just the bolt-on neck, the multi-laminated stuff and angled headstocks all take plenty of time to do. I can probably build two jazz basses in the time it takes me to do one of these. It's not worth it at this point, maybe in the future if I feel like doing something special, you never know.

.. and hi Adam! its been a while... and Doug too! :D

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 09 Jan 2014, 19:17

Fair enough, got to have time for family and other things!

Hi Phil, I don't get as much time anymore to get on here.

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 09 Jan 2014, 20:02

Phil I think your model of putting basses up for sale on a first come first serve basis will work for you. We'll ljust have to make sure our funds match our trigger fingers when we see something we like. All the best.
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

lespaulmarshall

Post by lespaulmarshall » 25 Feb 2014, 14:06

Cool to hear you are back on board.

You have probably considered this, but if you do some building in parallel (especially if they are Fender-esque clones) you could save some serious time and effort. i.e. build 2 or 3 four string jazz basses at a time.
I stand up next to a mountain,
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand...

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 26 Feb 2014, 09:12

True, i've thought about that too and probably will do that at some point in the future. For now I don't really have the time for it or the funds, its quite a big investment in materials and hardware to do that. Especially if you don't know if they'll all sell once they're done

Chriserle

Post by Chriserle » 26 Jun 2014, 16:29

Hi Phil, I consider myself lucky you put the time and effort into making my Baritone! All the best Chrisd

DeadlyErnest

Post by DeadlyErnest » 31 Jul 2014, 07:10

Have you thought of auctioning them off.
Will play for food.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 31 Jul 2014, 08:29

Nah, not a big fan of auctions, I feel people end up paying way too much on auctions. I'm happy with what I get for them. Besides I don't think there would be many people at all bidding on these so it wouldn't be much of an auction.