The Year Off, Dreadnought Acoustic - #26

Modern and vintage style electric basses handmade in South East Queensland.
Phil
Site Admin

Re: The Year Off, Dreadnought Acoustic - #26

Post by Phil » 10 Feb 2013, 20:46

Fitting the back;
I glued side struts on the side of the body at 6 locations to strenghten the sides and help prevent splitting.
ImageImage

The braces on the back need to be inset in the sides when gluing together. That's later hidden by the body binding

Pencil marks where I'll cut the sides for the braces

After the cuts have been made for the braces, Image

and then glued is applied to the sides and the top glued on it in the go-bar deckImage

Once done, I applied my logo inside the back as that's where it usually is inside the soundbox in acousticsImage

Busy at work shaving the braces and tuning the topImage

Gluing the bridge plate in the topImage

Tuned top ready to be glued to the box, next week for that bit :)

PilbaraBass

The Year Off, Dreadnought Acoustic - #26

Post by PilbaraBass » 10 Feb 2013, 21:23

That's looking great... How's that go bar system working out for you?
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

slave

Post by slave » 27 Feb 2013, 09:32

Wow!
Some great work!

LimeB

Post by LimeB » 27 Feb 2013, 13:14

I love these build threads

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 27 Feb 2013, 13:16

Phil wrote:and then glued is applied to the sides and the top glued on it in the go-bar deckImage
What on earth are the yellow strips Phil? It looks like you're putting it through a car wash!! :lol:
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

Tim

Post by Tim » 27 Feb 2013, 13:30

That's the go-bar deck. My take on the system is that you adjust to a certain height above your work, then insert the yelow tongues to apply equal clamping force on whatever you're gluing.

Quite ingenious actually!

LimeB

Post by LimeB » 27 Feb 2013, 14:45

Not the strips from yellow tongue flooring?

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 27 Feb 2013, 14:45

Thats exactly it (Tim), the bars are made of fibreglass, pretty stiff

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 23 Mar 2013, 11:33

Shit I should have kept up to date with this thread, now I have wayyy too many pics to post :rolleyes

The neck is made of Tasmanian Blackwood I had in stock for a few years, the truss rod rout was first cut then the blank measured up, the heel and headstock will be built up by gluing a few more blocks to the blank

Once the glue is dry the neck angle is measured and cut on the bandsaw and the headstock is sanded flat on the belt sander Image

Body out of the gluing deckImage

Edges routed and starting to build the end graft/tail strip/end flash, I think I saw about a dozen different names for this bit, no idea what the real name is :lol: the wood is cocobolo rosewood as the fingerboard Image

Getting read to start doing the binding and top purling

Trial run on scrap to see if the binding will fit perfectly, the router is adjusted until it doesImage

Binding channel cut on both sidesImage

and then the purfling channel is cut on the top after reajusting the router depth and height of cut Image

Wasn't too sure what to do in that case as the purfling is wood and the binding is plastic so I went ahead and glued the purfling with wood glue and taped it in with binding tape and let dry for an hourImage

after that I removed the tape and glued in the binding with contact cement as normalImageImage

Next up is routing the mortise and tenon in the body and neck. I bought plans from Robbie O'Brien to build his M&T jig and spent a couple of days building this thing, it was a lot more work than I thought it was going to be. The mortise is cut on one side of the jig and the tenon on the otherImage

Body is clamped in the mortise side and thats routed into the body, pretty was at this point, just a matter of making sure that the measurements are ok (depth of cut, centreline lined up etc..)Image

Then ou flip the jig around put the body up on top, the aluminium bracket is a guide to measure up the angle required in the neck to fit is at the right angle to the body once the tenon is cut, the alu bar is connected to an adjustable bit of plywood where you can change the angle of to suit the angle you need, the neck is attached to that and that is what give it the right angle once cut

Neck blank attached to the adjustable bit ready to get its tenon cutImage

after the cutImage

is now time to adjust the bass/treble side rock on the neck and make sure the neck is centered with the bod centre lineImage

To fix that I chisel away and sand either underside of the tenon until the neck fits exactly in the middle (no pics)
A jig is build to locate drill holes in the body and neck where I'll have to put my inserts in the neck and bolts in the body as this is a bolt-on neckImageImageImageImage

more to come...

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 23 Mar 2013, 11:50

Cutting down the thickness of the neck to dimension with the safe-t-planer Image

Gluing Tassie Blackwood leftovers from the back and a veneer layer to the headstockImageImage

Body is now read to be lacquered, the amber is first sprayed after masking off the rest of the guitar, I sprayed a coat of two of clear lacquer over it to lock in the colour then let dr overnight
ImageImage

The day after the top is scuff sanded and the colour coats are started, first with the blackImage yewww, how ugly!! :cry

No problems, lets add a bit of medium brown to thatImage

and then maybe a bit more medium brown then even out the black too :thumbup: Image

Let's get rid of the masking nowImageImage

That's going to need scraping before we can clear coat all thisImage

A bit more touching up happened between all that then the clear coats, I'm pretty happy with the final resultImage

CrayZee_Bass

Post by CrayZee_Bass » 23 Mar 2013, 12:09

Awesome work Phil!
Looks great and thanks for the update!
Can't wait to see the finished product.
You can lead a horse to water...........

But you can't shut the doors on a motorcycle.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 23 Mar 2013, 12:27

Thanks Mark, another week and you'll see the final pics but here's even more pics for now :D

Pics missing of the fingerboard but you guys have seen these being built before :) radius has been cut as well as the taper and thickness, MOP dots are installed and side dots too (no they're not on the wrong side, its a leftie) the fingerboard will be glued on the neck once its completed. Starting to do the frettingImage

Lining up the fingerboard with the centreline with the neck bolted on the body, pinning the fretboard down to lock it into place to make sure it doesn't move during glue up, thats pretty critical, you don't want anything moving at this point. The last two frets will be installed on the finished neck once everything is glued.Image

Shaping the headstockImageImageImage

The scarf joint is pretty obvious at the back so I'l put some veneer there to hide it
ImageImageImage

Then the fingerboard is glued on with the help of radius blocks as clampsImageImage

Shaping the neck and sanding it to get ready for lacquerImage

Building up the heel with a few layers of veneerImage

Ready for lacquerImageImage

Body and neck ready to be assembled, the truss rod is adjustable from the soundhole sideImageImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage

KirBass

Post by KirBass » 23 Mar 2013, 12:32

Looking awesome Phil, what a magic sunburst! Going pretty trad with bracing etc - lots of R&D in bracing these days. Making me feel very guilty about my acoustic build still being on hold since the birth of my now 20 month old second daughter....it's the 80/20 rule...but beautiful work Phil.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 23 Mar 2013, 12:41

All right, last pics for today, next one will be the final instrument pics.

The bridge is made of Rosewood, the blank is thicknessed and jointed to its right size, the angle of the saddle is measured too, I taped the blank on my workbench and clamped that block of wood to use as a guide for the routerImageImageImage

Pin holes are marked up and drilled in the press with a fence to make sure its all in a straight lineImageImage

Sanding the sides of the bridgeImage

Bridge needs to be sanded to the radius of the bod top too, so sandpaper is stickied to the top at the right spot and the bridge is sanded on it until it fits perfectly to the topImage

The bridge is placed exactly in the spot where it will be glued, the metal bits over it are a stewmac jig called the saddlematic which places the saddle in the right spot while taking intonation into account, a bit more shaping on the bridge happened too ImageImage

Then the masking is cut away and the lacquer is removed from that area. The bridge needs to be glued directly on the wood or else will rip off when playing, not good, so thats essential. That was a pain the ass though, next time I might just measure it up before lacquering and leave a mask in place while spraying lacquerImageImage

That's where I'm at, more pics some other time

jamiesdad

Post by jamiesdad » 23 Mar 2013, 12:44

that's a beauty phil
Friendly Forum Mod