Ozbass for Mobiles - App

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
Phil
Site Admin

Ozbass for Mobiles - App

Post by Phil » 26 Apr 2011, 17:58

Tapatalk has been installed on the forum. The idea was to make the forum a bit more friendly for mobiles. Its available for iOS, Android, Blackberry and Win 7 Mobile. The mains site where you can get more info on it is http://www.tapatalk.com

The main disadvantage is that its not free, it costs $3.99 in the Apple App Store, $2.76 in the Android Market. For Blackberry, its in Beta phases and can be downloaded freely by typing http://tapatalk.com/bb in your blackberry browser.

The good part is that it supports about 10000 online forums. Warwick and EBMM forums are also supported. That means you can surf on all these forums from the same app.

The idea of this App is that all the extra data is removed from the forum to give you only the relevent information, the screen is fairly bland looing with a white background. The idea is to optimise downloads and bandwidth data on your phone. Images are sent as icons which you can then click to see full size. All letertype is already size to read on your screen so no need to zoom in and out for reading. If you're happy with the way the forum runs on you phone then you likely don't have to buy the app.

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Ozbass for Mobiles - App

Post by Phil » 26 Apr 2011, 18:44

Here's a few images from Tapatalk to give you an idea of what it looks like before you go an buy it.

When you load the App you can go through all the categories of forums to find the one you like or type in the one you have. If you type in "bass" you get about 20 forums popping up. EBMM, Warwick, Ozbass, Kramer and Badassbassplayers are all supported.

Thanks to the wifie's brand spanking new iPhone, here's a few pics of what it would look like on your mobile

Here's the main forum icon

Main Categories of the forum

Looking at the "Off Topic" Section

Landscape also works fine

Looking at a thread, in this case one of my build threads, the picstures are sized up as icons to save bandwith and when clicked appear in full size

And now, here's a couple of pics through an iPad

Honestly, the only reason you'd want to use this on an tablet is if you want to save on bandwith. The forum looks and works fine as it is on a tablet.

Eberbachl

Ozbass for Mobiles - App

Post by Eberbachl » 26 Apr 2011, 20:34

Thanks Phil, a happy Tapatalk poster here ;)
A few Warwicks

maxgroover

Ozbass for Mobiles - App

Post by maxgroover » 27 Apr 2011, 13:13

I was skeptical until you posted the demo with pics Phil. Took the plunge and so far very happy :-)
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 27 Apr 2011, 13:28

Looks like Tapatalk for Blackberry has died since the last time I played around with it a few months ago. The developer is working on it apparently.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

jamiesdad

Post by jamiesdad » 27 Apr 2011, 13:33

Aussie Mark wrote:Looks like Tapatalk for Blackberry has died since the last time I played around with it a few months ago. The developer is working on it apparently.
i have tried the beta version - bit clunky (can't add the site to favourites, can't view by recent posts), but much quicker that the full website version.
Friendly Forum Mod

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 27 Apr 2011, 13:39

As soon as I get back to work next week (i.e. in an area where I can get 3G) I'll try the app on my BB Storm. Anything slightly faster than the super slow dial up 19900kbs type of speeds I get on it will be fantastic :rolleyes

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 27 Apr 2011, 13:53

very cool, Phil... I'll need to load up the app on my iPod Touch.
Of course, I'll need to install WiFi in the house, too :) Until then, I guess I can just hang at Maccas more :lol:
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

stoneboy26

Post by stoneboy26 » 27 Apr 2011, 16:35

I might actually pay some money for Tapatalk now...couldn't justify it just for the Ernie Ball forum as I never use it enough....Ozbass on the other hand....

Thanks Phil!

:)
-Dan-
Sandberg Basses: VM5/VS4|Eden WT800|Eden D210XST x2|Mono Cases & Straps|Loads of FX

Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/danstonebass
Personal: http://www.facebook.com/destone

Rude_Mechanical

Post by Rude_Mechanical » 27 Apr 2011, 17:00

I like that the default view is latest posts, as that is how I browse most of the time. Much, much easier to read than using a browser.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
"Turn everything to 11, dump instruments in front of the amp and manipulate pedals for 5 minutes" - me.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 29 Apr 2011, 16:57

I've gave the Tapatalk thing a go and liked it. But I also like just using a browser. I'm probably develop a preference for over over the other eventually :)

Good innovation Phil, well done!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Ben_Dougherty

Post by Ben_Dougherty » 01 Jul 2011, 19:27

its also great for subscribing to threads :)

consecutive e

Ozbass for Mobiles - App

Post by consecutive e » 14 Jul 2011, 13:57

I'm having trouble accessing my PMs via Tapatalk. Sometimes I can get into my inbox but if I try to open a message and I get some kind of server error.
Anyone else having this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basses: Fender Jazz & Precision, Warwick Pro Series Star Bass
Amps
: Gallien-Krueger

stoneboy26

Ozbass for Mobiles - App

Post by stoneboy26 » 15 Jul 2011, 08:10

I'm sure there was another thread about it somewhere but yeah, there is an issue PMs on tapatalk although it's more of a tapatalk issue and not this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Dan-
Sandberg Basses: VM5/VS4|Eden WT800|Eden D210XST x2|Mono Cases & Straps|Loads of FX

Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/danstonebass
Personal: http://www.facebook.com/destone

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 15 Jul 2011, 08:59

yes... I started a thread about it... Phil responded and it is indeed a tapatalk, not ozbassforum issue.

The work-around, albeit clunky, is to just use the browser for PM's and tapatalk for everything else.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.