The Spamming Must Be Driving The Mods Crazy

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
packrat

Re: The Spamming Must Be Driving The Mods Crazy

Post by packrat » 26 Jan 2018, 23:16

The spammers were already targeting existing threads as well. A lot of this is done by automatic attack systems that slowly evolve to overwhelm any forums which are falling behind in the arms race.

B>

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 27 Jan 2018, 00:28

It's been a long time since I first joined so I can't remember the process, I was thinking, may put a bass related question before you can join? or that type in the random letters and numbers that you see in the box so that we know that you're not a robot thingee?
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Basses: LEJ 5/24
Head: Glockenklang Blue Soul/ Cab: Schroeder 1212
Combo: Hartke Kickback KB12

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 27 Jan 2018, 08:56

Wrenn wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 00:28
It's been a long time since I first joined so I can't remember the process, I was thinking, may put a bass related question before you can join? or that type in the random letters and numbers that you see in the box so that we know that you're not a robot thingee?
Yesterday Phil put a Captcha security question which stops any new spammers registering.

They're going to implement another level of defence today.... stay tuned.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

packrat

Post by packrat » 27 Jan 2018, 09:03

Okay cool, that's great news.

Nothing will be perfect, but you don't have to outrun the bear etc. unfortunately there are a huge number of automated bears.

B>

david1234

Post by david1234 » 27 Jan 2018, 11:31

blizzard wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 23:06
Could we look at stopping members from making new threads unless they are supporting members? The vast majority of people here already are supporting members and the financial cost would dissuade spammers.
My concern with this kind of policy is that the forum would shrink instead of grow. I join forums first to lurk, then "to dip a toe in the water" with whatever questions I might start with. At that early stage any paywall would send me away.

If the technology existed to, say, make everyone's first 3 posts await approval by a mod, that could be a better balance i.e. dissuade some spammers but welcome most new members.
:yep
O===
/ \

Endorsing artist: Warwick basses, Fender/SWR.

packrat

Post by packrat » 27 Jan 2018, 11:45

david1234 wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 11:31
blizzard wrote:
Could we look at stopping members from making new threads unless they are supporting members? The vast majority of people here already are supporting members and the financial cost would dissuade spammers.
My concern with this kind of policy is that the forum would shrink instead of grow. I join forums first to lurk, then "to dip a toe in the water" with whatever questions I might start with. At that early stage any paywall would send me away.

If the technology existed to, say, make everyone's first 3 posts await approval by a mod, that could be a better balance i.e. dissuade some spammers but welcome most new members.
Agree. That was my path to joining, and while I quickly started supporting, there are a lot of folks who might do so only later, or who might find it a stretch.

B>

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 27 Jan 2018, 12:41

Captcha will stop a lot of it I'm sure.

I like the idea of a new member's first posts needing approval, but that is still work for the mods, not as much though.

Thanks Phil and mods for being pro-active :)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 27 Jan 2018, 14:07

david1234 wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 11:31
blizzard wrote:

I didn't respond this first idea earlier as it's completely unnecessary, so no need to go down this approach. There's other methods that are MUCH more selective and effective.

The issue seems under control at present. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer