SINGLE STRING SLAP PERMUTATIONS??

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
AARON BACON

SINGLE STRING SLAP PERMUTATIONS??

Post by AARON BACON » 09 Jan 2018, 08:30

I am trying to start teaching online and I am in need of some feedback!
Please review my videos and let me know how i am doing?
Are my subjects interesting and useful to you?
How is my delivery?

Very much obliged, thank you so much.

gatoz

Re: SINGLE STRING SLAP PERMUTATIONS??

Post by gatoz » 09 Jan 2018, 10:09

I think you should start by saying "Yo, whats-up YouTube".

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 09 Jan 2018, 14:54

Hi Aaron, welcome to OBF. We like stingrays and bacon, so you should fit in well around here. :)

A couple things stand out to me (as a teacher and a player)...
1. A proper DI feed from the bass into the camera/computer will make the bass sound a lot clearer.
2. Slow down each exercise to a step by step process. Show individual thumb and finger moves. Then slowly put them together speeding them up gradually.
3. Close ups of your hand will help a lot.
4. I'd plan out what you're going to say. Have a lesson plan with dot points in front of you.
5. In terms of content, you might have three 5min videos worth of content there.
6. Hearing your basslines in a band context would be good too.

As far as relevance goes. I used to play a LOT of slap. I say used to because I haven't used it much in the last 10-15 years. Grooves and good fingerstyle playing seems to be more versatile. That's not to say what you're doing isn't cool, I just wouldn't use it much for covers and blues that I usually play.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 09 Jan 2018, 15:25

slowlearner wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 14:54
Hi Aaron, welcome to OBF. We like stingrays and bacon, so you should fit in well around here. :)

1. A proper DI feed from the bass into the camera/computer will make the bass sound a lot clearer.
2. Slow down each exercise to a step by step process. Show individual thumb and finger moves. Then slowly put them together speeding them up gradually.
4. I'd plan out what you're going to say. Have a lesson plan with dot points in front of you.
5. In terms of content, you might have three 5min videos worth of content there.

As far as relevance goes. I used to play a LOT of slap. I say used to because I haven't used it much in the last 10-15 years. Grooves and good fingerstyle playing seems to be more versatile. That's not to say what you're doing isn't cool, I just wouldn't use it much for covers and blues that I usually play.
I would add that this technique I first saw Vic Wooten using this technique. What he also wasn't able to show is how you could use this technique in-context. I know you played a little line from one of your songs, but a familiar cover song may be helpful, 'you can use this here' type of thing. Also, show the technique first, then I can decide if I want to listen. MarloweDK used to do this well, play the riff, then progressively slow it down. If I like the riff, I stayed.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 09 Jan 2018, 18:34

you lost me at "I want to play everything I play with fingers by slapping" why would you wanna do that,? Doesn't sound nearly as good. All your notes are muted, no sustain, if that's your bag then fine, not for me

best of luck.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

terry

Post by terry » 15 Jan 2018, 18:08

AARON BACON wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 08:30

I am trying to start teaching online and I am in need of some feedback!
Please review my videos and let me know how i am doing?
Are my subjects interesting and useful to you?
How is my delivery?

Very much obliged, thank you so much.
Ok first thing first... you need to have a clear understanding of what this technique is used in terms of context. There's a lot of focus on this technique but not necessarily application. There was never any musical example taken - instead of teaching application you're teaching technique. Anyone who loves playing slap bass will find their own way into it, people come up with 'different way of doing it' all the time, but what everyone NEEDS is the understanding of applying technique into making MUSIC itself.

Also, You're pushing the idea of 'play all lines with slap bass' (this is actually used to be me) but the problem is that instead of PRESERVING the lines according to their own context you sort of turn them into something else. To be a great teacher I really recommend spending more time playing good bass lines.
Low End Jazz 5 - EBS Reidmar 250 - MarkBass RJ15

Bass Lesson Enquiries: roma.terry@gmail.com

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 15 Jan 2018, 18:52

slowlearner wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 14:54

I agree with everything you and the others have said...... except for one major point. I don't actually like bacon.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 15 Jan 2018, 21:25

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 15 Jan 2018, 21:29

Bacon doesn't agree with me, so my wife has kindly found a supplier of 'lamb-ham' - smells the same, but is not pork!
And no, it doesn't help me play slap any better.....
I see..............basses!