Ipad controlled digital mixing desks

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
cackland

Ipad controlled digital mixing desks

Post by cackland » 27 Nov 2017, 08:22

Hi All,

Thinking about updating to a digital desk; has anyone had real world experience using one of these:
Behringer XR18 digital mixer or the Mackie DL1608

The form factor looks great - just wondering about the iPad interface. I have downloaded the app for both but is hard to tell in demo mode without connection to one of the desks.

Cheers Chris
Brubaker KXB Extreme 5, Lakland 5594, Sadowsky Metro MS5, Stingray 5, Yamaha TRB6P, West Fretless 5, Fender RW J, NS WAV4
Bergantino B|Amp, Epifani UL502C,
Bergantino AE212, AE112

DoctorJohn

Re: Ipad controlled digital mixing desks

Post by DoctorJohn » 27 Nov 2017, 10:51

I've done a show with the Behringer before and the sound guy lost access to the stage box on at least 1 occasion. It's not a total loss as the sound was pretty much set at that point anyways. It's definitely good to have a wired PC for backup. As different venues have different wireless capacity and interference profiles.

I had a look at the soundcraft unit a while back and think that the web interface is a lot more "band friendly" as it doesn't necessitate the download and installation of the app for the band to control their own monitors.
Basses: Fender Steve Harris P - Warwick Robert Trujillo 4&5 string
Amps: Ampeg SVT-CL, SVT-III Pro & SVT-810e - Mesa Boogie 1516B
FX: Bass Muff Deluxe - American Sound - Cliff Burton PFW

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 27 Nov 2017, 10:59

My ex-neighbour used one of the systems (he couldn't say which one) a few years ago and had major issue on about the 2nd gig. Totally ruined the gig. He ended up getting his money back on everything but the iPad, on the condition he didn't talk about it (which is why I don't know which brand it was).

Unfortunately that doesn't help, other than to say that if they do go down mid set, you can be in serious trouble, with no way to get back.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

david1234

Post by david1234 » 27 Nov 2017, 11:07

I use two DL1608's. One in my band "Woodford" and one for church. Really good and we're very happy with them, but I'd also look at newer products before committing if I was starting over, including QSC touch mix, Soundcraft Ui series.

The DL1608 can record on your ipad if the ipad's docked but not if you've undocked it. You need your own separate wifi router unlike some more modern units. Note here: I've got experience with other units that *do* have a router built in, and it becomes problematic e.g. if your lights and desk are on different wifi segments you can't really control both with the same ipad.
:yep
O===
/ \

Endorsing artist: Warwick basses, Fender/SWR.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 27 Nov 2017, 12:40

Dave and I got to the same church. Just another side issue to mention with the DL1608 too. If you want to record what's coming through the desk onto your ipad, you can only access it through itunes. Additionally the file sizes are enormous and kinda unweildy. We ended up going back to an external MP3 recorder for recording talks.

P.s. I am an admitted apple-hater, but the software and flexibility of the system is pretty astonishing.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 28 Nov 2017, 15:19

John, the drummer in my band, also does sound and he likes the Behringer, which he says is a rebranded Midas: good value for money. We used one on the weekend and it sounded good but there was a power spike that lost the settings, which annoyed the sound guy (to put it mildly). I, on the other hand, know nothing about this stuff and just listen and nod when starts talking about it.
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 28 Nov 2017, 15:52

I don't know much about these units personally, but I'd estimate that 80% of the sound guys we hire these days use a wifi mixer, and the majority of those use the Mackie.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

david1234

Post by david1234 » 28 Nov 2017, 16:43

jezzamac wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 15:19
John, the drummer in my band, also does sound and he likes the Behringer, which he says is a rebranded Midas: good value for money. We used one on the weekend and it sounded good but there was a power spike that lost the settings, which annoyed the sound guy (to put it mildly). I, on the other hand, know nothing about this stuff and just listen and nod when starts talking about it.
The way I understood it, the bigger behringer X32 is almost entirely a Midas, but the smaller ones (X18, XR18 etc) etc aren't. The X32 is pretty great. I'm yet to try the smaller ones.
:yep
O===
/ \

Endorsing artist: Warwick basses, Fender/SWR.

LowGroove

Post by LowGroove » 28 Nov 2017, 22:20

I use a QSC Touchmix 16 on gigs we don't get paid enough to hire sound.

It has the advantage of a screen on the desk as well. With the iPad I can see all 16 channels.

Has 6 foldback mixes which is good when a lot of the band use in ears and want their own mix (they can control it themselves as well).

Does great multitrack recordings as well.

Have used on 15 to 20 gigs with no glitches.

DeadlyErnest

Post by DeadlyErnest » 29 Nov 2017, 11:58

I've got the Behringer X18. More channels and buses than I've ever needed and can feed a multi-track recording program on a laptop using USB. Very handy to have a live level indicator visible. Very low noise. Good quality effects. Keep the receipt :) but nothing has gone wrong with it in over a year. For small gigs the built in WI-FI is OK but you can connect something better using the RJ-45 lan port. The non rack version for some reason is much cheaper than the rack version although they are functionally nearly identical.
Will play for food.

RAS

Post by RAS » 21 Dec 2017, 16:41

I have a Presonus rm16 digital mixer. iPad control only, so if you need sliders, this isn’t for you. Have the mixer, a wireless router, a headphone amp and a Mac mini in a 4RU case. Has 8 aux mixes. All gigs are multitrack recorded on the Mac mini. It’s been reliable and the sound is great. Also use it in the home studio, hence the headphone amp.