Countdown

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
veebass

Countdown

Post by veebass » 08 Oct 2017, 19:06

Thought I would start this in case people had observations after watching Countdown on the ABC.

I had forgotten how many guys took off or cut down the pickguards on their Fender basses in the 70s. There were several on tonight's episode.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

RickG

Re: Countdown

Post by RickG » 08 Oct 2017, 20:01

I watched tonight and noticed that too. 78 was a little before my time (I was 4) but it's always fun to see what was going on then. It occurred to me Marc Hunter was an earlier Michael Hutchence

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 08 Oct 2017, 21:54

I've been enjoying this too. I didn't start watching until around '80. Haven't seen tonight's one yet.

Interesting speaking to a few people who were on it over the years. My guitar teacher was on Countdown in about '78/9 in a band called Fandango. He told me that the producers only wanted to talk to the band managers and not directly to the band. He felt they were treated like kids and says other people he knows who were on the show had the same experience. The show he was on, is famous as the one that Midnight Oil walked out on.

Years later I mentioned my teacher's experience to Rick Brewster from the Angels and his experience had been very different. Molly always liked them and let them do a lot of things other bands never got to do, like actually playing live.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 09 Oct 2017, 00:37

yep it was ALL about whether or not Molly liked the boys, I mean REALLY liked the boys in the band.

I knew back in the 70s, as a young musician, that if you wanted to make it on Countdown there was one surefire way....all the bands knew it

so many good bands never got the chance and so many rubbish bands did

quite disgraceful that one man had so much power over who made it and who didn't in this country
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham" :rolf:

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 09 Oct 2017, 07:09

BazzBass wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 00:37
yep it was ALL about whether or not Molly liked the boys, I mean REALLY liked the boys in the band.

I knew back in the 70s, as a young musician, that if you wanted to make it on Countdown there was one surefire way....all the bands knew it

so many good bands never got the chance and so many rubbish bands did

quite disgraceful that one man had so much power over who made it and who didn't in this country
Years ago when Rage used to show old Countdown episodes over summer. I remember seeing one that had Kate Bush and Leif Garret (SP?). At the end it was Molly, Leif and Kate and Molly is gushing about how great Leif is and pretty much ignoring Kate. She's looking quite uncomfortable and then Molly gets her to agree with him, as to the brilliance of Leif. She agrees, but looks even more uncomfortable.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 09 Oct 2017, 10:53

The episode I watched a couple of weeks ago featured 3 Rippers, including a very rare cherryburst (and no, it wasn't Mark Evans')

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 09 Oct 2017, 11:01

Aussie Mark wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:53
The episode I watched a couple of weeks ago featured 3 Rippers, including a very rare cherryburst (and no, it wasn't Mark Evans')
I just watched the one from last night and don't recall any Rippers. There was a Thunderbird and a pair of Stingrays, which would have been quite new in '76. One with Mark Hunter from Dragon and the other with Graham Parker and the Rumour.

There was also a yellow Yamaha Banana Bass (like that blue on in the eBay thread recently) being played by the guy in Rose Tattoo.
Greg

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 09 Oct 2017, 12:10

The Rippers I spotted were Supernaut, Air Supply, and Dragon.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

veebass

Post by veebass » 09 Oct 2017, 12:16

aphekgreg wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 11:01
Aussie Mark wrote:
I just watched the one from last night and don't recall any Rippers. There was a Thunderbird and a pair of Stingrays, which would have been quite new in '76. One with Mark Hunter from Dragon and the other with Graham Parker and the Rumour.

There was also a yellow Yamaha Banana Bass (like that blue on in the eBay thread recently) being played by the guy in Rose Tattoo.
I thought we were in for a double TBird night when Rose Tatts started, only to see the Banana thingy when they panned to the bass player.

The other highlight was Ronny Peel playing tambourine for five minutes. He was slowing up at the end.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 09 Oct 2017, 12:38

veebass wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 12:16
aphekgreg wrote:
Aussie Mark wrote:

I thought we were in for a double TBird night when Rose Tatts started, only to see the Banana thingy when they panned to the bass player.

The other highlight was Ronny Peel playing tambourine for five minutes. He was slowing up at the end.
I assume you're talking about JPY? Did he touch the guitar at all? That's hard work: Playing tambourine with a '70s Les Paul around your neck.
Greg

veebass

Post by veebass » 09 Oct 2017, 12:52

aphekgreg wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 12:38
veebass wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 12:16
aphekgreg wrote:

I assume you're talking about JPY? Did he touch the guitar at all? That's hard work: Playing tambourine with a '70s Les Paul around your neck.
Yep, plenty of 70s LPs over 12 pounds! I didn't see him strum it once.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 09 Oct 2017, 13:12

veebass wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 12:52

Yep, plenty of 70s LPs over 12 pounds! I didn't see him strum it once.
I guess he wanted to make sure we all knew he was a guitarist and not just a tambourine player. :rolleyes I've never played a lightweight '70s Les Paul. I recorded a band with a '70s Gibson double neck. It was heavier again. The weight was just ridiculous. No wonder Jimmy Page was always stooping over when he played his.
Greg

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 09 Oct 2017, 14:25

BazzBass wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 00:37

Just to prove that Molly was definitely not always right....... I had the radio on in the car this morning and as part of their Austober month, celebrating Aussie music, they had a story from the '70s, about Molly and Michael Gudinski. Apparently Musroom had signed too many acts and Molly advised that they should drop Split Enz to save some money. There were audio comments from Molly and Gudinski in the story. Needless to say Michael didn't listen to Molly's advice.
Greg

veebass

Post by veebass » 15 Oct 2017, 19:06

A Ripper spotted this week in Dave and The Derros. Other highlights Iggy's faultless miming- LOL- what a performance!
Plenty of natural P Basses in 1979.

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 15 Oct 2017, 19:39

I’ve got them banking up on the IQ box, and saw most of them ‘in the day’.

Back to Rippers, I’ve seen a few Skyhooks clips with a Ripper as well. Not sure if Macainsh had 1 or more as well as his Fender and the nudey bass.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3