Rosewood bans..

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
NotTheFish

Re: Rosewood bans..

Post by NotTheFish » 13 Jan 2017, 21:53

My Warmoth fretless neck is bubinga with a pau ferro board. It isn't going anywhere. I like it a lot.

Suitable

Post by Suitable » 20 Jan 2017, 07:44

sic608 wrote:All i can add to this is "thank f@#k my wal custom came b4 all this sh!t hit the fan. Pardon the french sorry. Glad i got the rosewood fb now thinking it may very well be rare in the future.

It sucks but i get why these things happen and maybe not so bad in reality. Planet earth should come first but then how is BP still allowed to opereate

:2c:

BP: F'KEN' OATH!?

The places that supply rosewoods etc are not the ones at fault, it's the unthought clearing of rainforests with amazing timbers that they just pile thousands/millions of top of the line luthiery timbers and put a match to them instead of milling them. Hopefully it puts a stop to all that mindless logging. BP plays a large role in this aswell as many mining companies too as they hunt for oil wells, coal, gold, diamonds & heaps of other minerals etc around the world! Fingers crossed this actually floods the market with these prime timbers that are just wasted to ash! (Ie charcoal ash, not northern Ash timber etc...)

I'm cheering that many of my guitars having mostly rosewood boards now though :cool: $$$$$$$$ but I won't ever sell them though... :ninja:

But there are (IMHO) so many far nicer fretboard/neck/body timbers that are sustainably grown world wide than rosewood, bubinga, etc... Just might bump their pricing up a bit :shrug: I honestly don't mind getting a striped Macassar Ebony board instead of rosewood board anyday :partydance:
Great deals with Steve77 & B_jamin! Top blokes :thumbup:

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 20 Jan 2017, 11:00

Back in my high school days, I was working as a builder's labourer one holiday break. The NSW housing commission was building some houses for Dept of Defence for some Army accommodation. Somehow the NSW Public Works Dept had a lot of surplus rosewood so they used it as flooring in Ingleburn.

Lovely looking floors but a total extravagance for govt housing
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

Veldar

Post by Veldar » 20 Jan 2017, 22:07

Warwick make all their basses with carbon neutral woods, hopefully all manufacturers will take that step.

It shouldn't affect the used market though, once the woods out of the tree there's no getting it back in there...
Originally this was where all the people I've sold/gotten gear from that went well, but I haven't met a bad person yet :D

Thanks to giggawazza for the Bongo.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 25 Jan 2017, 14:11

This update for anyone looking for a Sadowsky

https://sadowsky.com/a-note-on-the-expo ... -rosewood/
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 25 Jan 2017, 14:47

PilbaraBass wrote:This update for anyone looking for a Sadowsky

https://sadowsky.com/a-note-on-the-expo ... -rosewood/
I'm very surprised to see the claim that there is almost no difference in tone between rosewood and Pao Fero. Pao is great, but the sound is somewhere between maple and ebony.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 27 Jan 2017, 20:32

This whole business is rubbish. Ebony is a much bigger issue. Rosewood has been sustainable for over a decade now. Typical useless red tape. Grrr... :angry:

Not that I see any reason why we need to use imported hardwoods when we have plenty of good timber in Australia. ;)
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 27 Jan 2017, 22:05

slowlearner wrote:Not that I see any reason why we need to use imported hardwoods when we have plenty of good timber in Australia. ;)
Can you get a home grown Rosewood? If so, isn't it possible to just order in a bass with a maple fretboard, then change the fretboard?
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

veebass

Post by veebass » 28 Jan 2017, 05:45

Given the uncertainty and my interest in the new Epi TBird for 2017, I have written to the Australian importer of Gibson Brands. I will post any reply I may get.
I understand that Epiphone recently announced a number of new models for 2017 at NAMM. This included a Thunderbird Vintage Pro Bass, replacing the current Thunderbird Classic Pro, and an Embassy Pro Bass.
The information provided indicated availability from July 2017.

Are you able to advise when these new lines will be available in Australia?

Are you able to advise whether current uncertainty as to possible US tariff changes associated with production by US companies outside of the US would affect availability and price of these new lines in Australia?

Can you advise where these new lines will be manufactured?

Are you able to advise whether recent (1/1/17) changes to CITES affecting the international trade in Dalbergia (Rosewood) species would affect price and availability of these new lines in Australia?

Thank you for your time.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 28 Jan 2017, 07:41

Petebass wrote:
slowlearner wrote:Not that I see any reason why we need to use imported hardwoods when we have plenty of good timber in Australia. ;)
Can you get a home grown Rosewood? If so, isn't it possible to just order in a bass with a maple fretboard, then change the fretboard?
You can't get Aust grown rosewood as far as I know, although there might be a decent market for it now. As I was saying, Indian rosewood has been sustainable for over a decade. Farmers use the trees on tea plantations all over the subcontinent. That's how they started using it again after the Brazilian stuff began to run out.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 28 Jan 2017, 07:47

slowlearner wrote:
Petebass wrote:
You can't get Aust grown rosewood as far as I know, although there might be a decent market for it now. As I was saying, Indian rosewood has been sustainable for over a decade. Farmers use the trees on tea plantations all over the subcontinent. That's how they started using it again after the Brazilian stuff began to run out.
I was surprised by the complete ban too, as I thought Indian rosewood wasn't in danger.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

Soong

Post by Soong » 28 Jan 2017, 08:36

I might have missed it, but what does this all mean for the end consumer who's just trying to buy a bass off reverb/ebay/talkbass?
Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

veebass

Post by veebass » 28 Jan 2017, 08:49

aphekgreg wrote:]

I was surprised by the complete ban too, as I thought Indian rosewood wasn't in danger.
It may well not be, but that doesn't matter.
A CITES Appendix II listing doesn't necessarily mean it is endangered at all- many common species are listed on Appendix II. They can and do list common species or whole genera to make enforcement of Appendix I trade prohibition easier. I would guess the rest are on to make enforcement of trade bans in Brazillian Rosewood easier for them. That is one of the problems with the whole approach. The involvement in all this of Indian Rosewood for fretboards seems ludicrous.
The Indian Rosewood sustainability issue was also tangential to the problems Gibson had a few years back. From memory, it was either that US officials were refusing to accept the sustainability certificates provided by the Indian Government and/ or playing semantics over a what constituted a finished product (fretboard blanks) for the purposes of some US law.

veebass

Post by veebass » 28 Jan 2017, 09:04

Soong wrote:I might have missed it, but what does this all mean for the end consumer who's just trying to buy a bass off reverb/ebay/talkbass?
I assume you are talking about used basses. Manufacturers and importers will sort out the new ones and pass the cost on or change production to avoid the issue.
For used basses - nothing in terms of permits in that scenario you mentioned if it is all within the one country, because CITES relates to international trade.
Australia is a signatory to CITES, so I presume Australians will need to arrange an import permit to bring these products into the country, if you don't and they are detected, I would expect that they would be seized. To get that import permit arranged you will need an export permit from the country it is coming from. I am not sure what the actual requirements will be at both ends and they may vary across countries or blocks such as the EU, which operates as a single entity for the purposes of CITES as I understand it, but somewhere, I suspect, there will need to be a certificate that states what the wood is and that it is compliant and that is accepted by Customs at both ends.

MentalPatient

Post by MentalPatient » 28 Jan 2017, 18:40

I still don't get it .... does the ban also apply to used bass's and wait for it .... manufacturer refurbished bass's ?
Glockenklang Heart Rock II | Steamhammer | 6-Box | Quattro | Roscoe
Fender TB-600 | Baer ML115
Last edited by MentalPatient on 15 Apr 2015, 18:10, edited 963,482,564,947 times in total