Rosewood bans..

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
RedVee

Re: Rosewood bans..

Post by RedVee » 10 May 2017, 20:14

maxgroover wrote:Terrible situation indeed :(

Have they tried calling customs to see what the hold up is?
Yes, they got a run around and ended up having to go to a different Dept. This next call should be happening this week.

I'd say it is amazing and ridiculous but I did work in a Commonwealth Dept for a little while.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 11 May 2017, 21:15

News: Aust Post said Customs said no Duty had been paid.
Duty was paid within an hour of being advised the figure.
They must have checked and have now released the guitar to Aust Post.
Hopefully soon

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 26 May 2017, 10:46

Read this today:

To address the issue, Fender released a statement on how they are changing their instruments to deal with the new regulation.

“Fender is committed to the continued use of Rosewood in American-made solid body guitars, such as our American Professional Series,” CEO Andy Mooney stated. “After actively exploring alternate wood options to Rosewood for selective use on a few US models, we will be transitioning most of our Mexico made product away from rosewood to pau ferro, a fantastic alternate we currently use on the SRV signature strat. The American Elite series is transitioning to ebony fretboards with dealers and our inventories. Rosewood is still used on many series of instruments, as it is a historically accurate tone wood. The changeover will be somewhat fluid in the market, there is no set date at this time.”

Mooney continues that the company is still evaluation options for Squiers and their acoustics, while FMIC’s other brands – Gretsch, Jackson, Charvel, and EVH – will continue to use rosewood in solid body and acoustic models from all source countries.

“Fender is committed as a brand to comply with all CITES regulations and to ensure we are continuing to deliver the best quality and accessible products to our customers and dealers,” Mooney concludes.

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2017/05/25 ... -rosewood/
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 26 May 2017, 10:49

tearalong wrote:Read this today:

To address the issue, Fender released a statement on how they are changing their instruments to deal with the new regulation.

“Fender is committed to the continued use of Rosewood in American-made solid body guitars, such as our American Professional Series,” CEO Andy Mooney stated. “After actively exploring alternate wood options to Rosewood for selective use on a few US models, we will be transitioning most of our Mexico made product away from rosewood to pau ferro, a fantastic alternate we currently use on the SRV signature strat. The American Elite series is transitioning to ebony fretboards with dealers and our inventories. Rosewood is still used on many series of instruments, as it is a historically accurate tone wood. The changeover will be somewhat fluid in the market, there is no set date at this time.”

Mooney continues that the company is still evaluation options for Squiers and their acoustics, while FMIC’s other brands – Gretsch, Jackson, Charvel, and EVH – will continue to use rosewood in solid body and acoustic models from all source countries.

“Fender is committed as a brand to comply with all CITES regulations and to ensure we are continuing to deliver the best quality and accessible products to our customers and dealers,” Mooney concludes.

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2017/05/25 ... -rosewood/
Well on the upside, I'd love to see ebony fretboards on the fender elite range

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 May 2017, 17:09

"... as it is a historically accurate tone wood." What does that even mean? Does it help to intonate more accurately? Does it have the retain tonal qualities more accurately (which opens a can of worms - "tone" wood)?

I don't really see any reason to cling to rosewood, there is so much other good/better alternatives. Anyway.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

petersemple

Post by petersemple » 26 May 2017, 20:26

I am guessing they mean that no 60's Fenders had Pau Ferro fretboards, so any "traditional 60's style" instruments would be inaccurate if they had Pau Ferro instead of Rosewood.
Basses: Wasburn Status 4, Fretless 4 made from parts, Fretted through neck 5 made by me
Amp: Eminar bass 400 into home made cab with JBL 15"

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 May 2017, 20:31

petersemple wrote:I am guessing they mean that no 60's Fenders had Pau Ferro fretboards, so any "traditional 60's style" instruments would be inaccurate if they had Pau Ferro instead of Rosewood.
Makes sense, and sorry, totally forgot that Fender constantly need to re-issue their old stuff rather than make the step into the 21st century - and before I get flames that was mostly meant to be tongue-in-cheek ;) .

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

StinkyPete

Post by StinkyPete » 27 May 2017, 09:44

drbass wrote:
petersemple wrote:I am guessing they mean that no 60's Fenders had Pau Ferro fretboards, so any "traditional 60's style" instruments would be inaccurate if they had Pau Ferro instead of Rosewood.
Makes sense, and sorry, totally forgot that Fender constantly need to re-issue their old stuff rather than make the step into the 21st century - and before I get flames that was mostly meant to be tongue-in-cheek ;) .

Regards,
Michael
Haha very true about the re-issue of old stuff, it's a funny thing when the early Fender basses were so basic in design and electronics, nowadays companies spend a fortune making complicated designs and electronic systems and we the consumer pay a fortune for the finished product, then we (generally speaking) end up having a few basses with the good old Fender P and J in the stable because no matter how technically advanced our new expensive flashy bass is we still tend to compare them all to the simple, uncomplicated humble P bass, and there's probably good reason for that............. :peep:

It's amazing how many GOOD tone variations you get from simply adjusting your plucking hand position, string selection and pick or fingers on a good 'ol P bass.
Basses: Sandberg VM5, Fender Geddy Lee J & Fretless P, Warmoth '69 SCP, Squier VM TB.
Amps: Traynor YBA200, Fender TB600, GB STM600
Cabs: Fender Rumble 410 V3, Eden EX112

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 02 Jun 2017, 20:53

RedVee wrote:News: Aust Post said Customs said no Duty had been paid.
Hopefully soon
OT - Funeral today, went off very well.
The guitar arrived just in time for him to know about it and have a strum just barely before his decline accelerated. His brother in law getting him this guitar allowed him to get his bucket list guitar, even if he never got it himself, can't be choosey.

Everyone please get yourself checked for this disease. A small amount of embarrassment can save us a painful decline and death. Bowel Cancer is survivable IF it is found early enough.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 02 Jun 2017, 21:33

Good advice
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic, '14 Streamer NT1
Mesa Walkbout, MarkBass Classic 300, Fender Bassman Neo 115

StinkyPete

Post by StinkyPete » 02 Jun 2017, 23:07

RedVee wrote:
RedVee wrote:News: Aust Post said Customs said no Duty had been paid.
Hopefully soon
OT - Funeral today, went off very well.
The guitar arrived just in time for him to know about it and have a strum just barely before his decline accelerated. His brother in law getting him this guitar allowed him to get his bucket list guitar, even if he never got it himself, can't be choosey.

Everyone please get yourself checked for this disease. A small amount of embarrassment can save us a painful decline and death. Bowel Cancer is survivable IF it is found early enough.
Sorry to hear this but glad he got to see and strum the guitar.
Very true about the disease as a few here on the forum are currently experiencing, I'm now 11 years in the clear after 4 bouts over a 10 year period, surgery and treatment aren't an option if it returns again and not a day passes when I don't think about it but you can't stop living for fear of the ' what if ' but it does become a battle of wits at times.
Basses: Sandberg VM5, Fender Geddy Lee J & Fretless P, Warmoth '69 SCP, Squier VM TB.
Amps: Traynor YBA200, Fender TB600, GB STM600
Cabs: Fender Rumble 410 V3, Eden EX112

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 08 Jun 2017, 13:23

MrMow wrote:
veebass wrote:
Petebass wrote: Maybe, and maybe not. It might just mean that other dark coloured timbers will start appearing on fretboards more regularly. Forums will then have endless threads about which timber best replicates rosewood.
That's true, Pete. I was being a bit flippant.
Gibson used some alternatives for a while after they had a run in with US authorities over their stocks of Indian Rose Wood fretboard blanks- well before this current change.
I do think it will make private importation of basses with rosewood boards pretty problematic from my experience in other areas affected by CITES.
Yep, was trying to order a bass from japan and they said they couldn't send it until their licensing is in place.. could take weeks, could take years.
I'm interested in something from ishibashi but it has a rosewood fretboard. Does it mean they can ship this if they have licencing in place? I guess I just ask about it?

MrMow

Post by MrMow » 08 Jun 2017, 14:22

ozrider wrote:
MrMow wrote:
veebass wrote:
That's true, Pete. I was being a bit flippant.
Gibson used some alternatives for a while after they had a run in with US authorities over their stocks of Indian Rose Wood fretboard blanks- well before this current change.
I do think it will make private importation of basses with rosewood boards pretty problematic from my experience in other areas affected by CITES.
Yep, was trying to order a bass from japan and they said they couldn't send it until their licensing is in place.. could take weeks, could take years.
I'm interested in something from ishibashi but it has a rosewood fretboard. Does it mean they can ship this if they have licencing in place? I guess I just ask about it?
Hit em up and ask, they couldn't when I checked d a few months back.
Fender 75P - G&L SB2

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 08 Jun 2017, 17:33

Warmoth have released a statement saying they are CITES compliant now, so it's possible others have also jumped through the hoops. Can't hurt to ask.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 24 Jun 2017, 00:30

Petebass wrote:Warmoth have released a statement saying they are CITES compliant now, so it's possible others have also jumped through the hoops. Can't hurt to ask.

I have just asked a supplier in the UK about CITES compliance... fingers crossed. :popcorn: