Rosewood bans..

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
MrMow

Rosewood bans..

Post by MrMow » 10 Jan 2017, 17:43

Was about to order something from overseas.. nope..
As of Jan 2 2017 there is a ban on shipping rosewood products.

From reverb.com

A new regulation takes effect on January 2, 2017 that calls for documentation when shipping instruments internationally that contain any amount of any kind of rosewood or certain types of bubinga.

It does not apply to instruments shipped within the borders of your country or instruments carried for personal use while traveling internationally [unless they contain more than 22 lbs. (10 kg) of the regulated woods].

This is a developing story, with details emerging as government agencies figure out how to create processes around the new requirements. To what degree they are enforced remains to be seen.

Here’s what we know so far.

The New Regulation on Rosewood and Bubinga

The Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna (CITES) held a conference from September 24 - October 4 this year in Johannesburg, South Africa where it was decided that all species of rosewood under the genus Dalbergia and three bubinga species (Guibourtia demeusei, Guibourtia pellegriniana, and Guibourtia tessmannii) will be protected under CITES Appendix II.

Kosso - sometimes called African rosewood (Pterocarpus erinaceus) - will also be protected.

While Brazilian Rosewood is currently under CITES protection (those laws will stay in place), this move places all the other nearly 300 species of rosewood under similar regulation.

This includes the East Indian rosewood and Honduran rosewood - as well as woods like cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa) and African blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon) - that are widely used in the manufacturing of stringed instruments, marimbas and some woodwinds.

What This Means

For manufacturers:

When importing any species of Dalbergia or the other woods mentioned, there must be an accompanying CITES certificate from the country it came from if it arrives after January 2, 2017.

Manufacturers who currently have stockpiles of the newly regulated wood must document their inventory and apply for pre-convention certificates.

For dealers and sellers:

When shipping musical instruments that include any amount (i.e. fingerboard, back, sides, binding) of Dalbergia or the other newly regulated woods out of your country as part of a commercial transaction, each one must be accompanied by a CITES re-export certificate.

Even if the instrument was made with Dalbergia or the other regulated woods that were acquired before January 2, 2017 - such as a used or vintage instrument - it still must be accompanied by a CITES certificate and marked pre-convention when shipping internationally.

For example, a seller in Nashville looking to ship her 2013 Martin 000-28 with East Indian rosewood back and sides to a buyer in Canada must apply for a re-export certificate, pay the application fee, receive the certificate, and include that document with the guitar when shipping.

For sellers in the United States, CITES re-export certificates must be applied for through the US Fish and Wildlife Service. You can download the application here.

Representatives of the agency have said that initial turnaround times on certificate application may be on the order of months.

For more information, you can contact their office at (703) 358-2104 or at managementauthority@fws.gov. You can read the official letter from US Fish and Wildlife here.

If you contact US Fish and Wildlife, please keep in mind that they did not suggest or create this regulation - the parties of the international CITES conference did. The employees of US Fish and Wildlife are trying to work with manufacturers and sellers to develop streamlined processes around this.

Each country has its own CITES Management Authority. If you live outside the United States, you can look up the CITES contact in your country here.
Fender 75P - G&L SB2

veebass

Re: Rosewood bans..

Post by veebass » 10 Jan 2017, 18:31

Welcome to my world. One of my other interests for most of my life has been insect collecting and have been dealing with this for years. BTW Australia is also a signatory to CITES and takes it seriously. It is not uncommon for CITES to place on Appendix 2 (effectively regulated trade) common (not endangered) species related to critically endangered species which they have placed on Appendix 1 (total ban on trade). This is especially so when they appear superficially similar. My guess is that it makes enforcement easier.
Better get used to the snappy tone of maple fretboards.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 10 Jan 2017, 19:06

veebass wrote: Better get used to the snappy tone of maple fretboards.
Maybe, and maybe not. It might just mean that other dark coloured timbers will start appearing on fretboards more regularly. Forums will then have endless threads about which timber best replicates rosewood.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

lostdoggy

Post by lostdoggy » 10 Jan 2017, 19:09

What's the status of ebony these days?

veebass

Post by veebass » 10 Jan 2017, 19:30

Petebass wrote:
Maybe, and maybe not. It might just mean that other dark coloured timbers will start appearing on fretboards more regularly. Forums will then have endless threads about which timber best replicates rosewood.
That's true, Pete. I was being a bit flippant.
Gibson used some alternatives for a while after they had a run in with US authorities over their stocks of Indian Rose Wood fretboard blanks- well before this current change.
I do think it will make private importation of basses with rosewood boards pretty problematic from my experience in other areas affected by CITES.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 10 Jan 2017, 19:39

Petebass wrote:
Maybe, and maybe not. It might just mean that other dark coloured timbers will start appearing on fretboards more regularly.
EBMM have been using Pau Ferro for years on fretless boards instead of rosewood. I've not owned one but it seems to be a well regarded timber.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 10 Jan 2017, 21:18

I've got Pau Ferro on my warmoth tele, and it's a fantastic wood.

MrMow

Post by MrMow » 10 Jan 2017, 22:15

veebass wrote:
Petebass wrote:
That's true, Pete. I was being a bit flippant.
Gibson used some alternatives for a while after they had a run in with US authorities over their stocks of Indian Rose Wood fretboard blanks- well before this current change.
I do think it will make private importation of basses with rosewood boards pretty problematic from my experience in other areas affected by CITES.
Yep, was trying to order a bass from japan and they said they couldn't send it until their licensing is in place.. could take weeks, could take years.
Fender 75P - G&L SB2

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 10 Jan 2017, 23:57

slashin_velvet wrote:I've got Pau Ferro on my warmoth tele, and it's a fantastic wood.
My Tobias bass has Pao Ferro fretboard. Tonal similarities with rosewood and ebony. Love it very much.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

veebass

Post by veebass » 11 Jan 2017, 05:19

Lot's of information and discussion on this topic in this TB thread, in case you were unaware of it.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/cites- ... t-19546413

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 11 Jan 2017, 11:36

Pao Ferro is very nice, but somewhere between maple and ebony in tone.

I ordered a Musikraft neck with Madagascar rosewood, that arrived the week of Christmas. Glad it wasn't affected. Best Fender style neck I've ever owned.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

slave

Post by slave » 11 Jan 2017, 12:35

Well we all knew this was coming eventually.....

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 11 Jan 2017, 13:43

my favourite fretboard material is actual Ebonol, which is a synthetic made from layering cellulose (paper) and epoxy resins. It's hard, consistent, feels great, looks great and has tonal characteristics in my opinion much like ebony.

I think that necks, will continue to be rock maple, which is not endangered, nor should it become that way as it is cultivated for maple syrup production. Body woods can pretty much be anything, IMO... the main thing with body woods is weight, and techniques like chambering and laminating can ensure consistencies in tone.

I think what they're doing with the regulations is good... They're tightening down on the sales and manufacturing side and giving the end-users a bit of a pass. Before this, even travel with instrument for personal use could result in confiscation. :(
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

drbass

Post by drbass » 11 Jan 2017, 14:02

Rosewood? Take it or leave it.

I REALLY like wenge (once it's finished, not so much when working with it) both for board and neck - looks nice too. Ziricote is a great timber for boards as well, and believe it or not I've come to appreciate the full maple option.

Conservation is very important, and it's about time this is "a little more" regulated.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

veebass

Post by veebass » 11 Jan 2017, 16:02

I have had a look at the timbers listed under the CITES Appendices and have copied them below. There may be more instrument timbers affected. There are some Ebonies, Bubingas and Mahoganies.

CITES Appendix I Species
The CITES Appendix I protected species are as follows:
Abies guatemalensis (Guatemalan fir)
Araucaria araucana (monkey puzzle tree)
Dalbergia nigra (Brazilian rosewood)
Fitzroya cupressoides (alerce)
Pilgerodendron uviferum (pilgerodendron)
Podocarpus parlatorei (Parlatore’s podocarp
Importation of CITES Timber Species
Procedures
2-6 CITES Timber Species Manual 12/2016-54
CITES Appendix II Species
The CITES Appendix II protected species are as follows:
Aniba rosaeodora (Brazilian rosewood)
Bulnesia sarmientoi (galacwood)
Caesalpinia echinata (pernambuco)
Caryocar costaricense (ajillo)
Dalbergia spp. (Malagasy rosewoods)
Dalbergia cochinchinensis (Thailand rosewood)
Dalbergia granadillo (Granadillo rosewood)
Dalbergia retusa (black rosewood)
Dalbergia stevensonii (Honduras rosewood)
Diospyros spp. (Madagasy ebonies)
Gonystylus spp. (ramin)
Guaiacum spp. (lignum vitae)
Oreomunnea pterocarpa (gavilan)
Osyris lanceolata (African sandalwood)
Pericopsis elata (afrormosia)
Platymiscium pleiostachyum (cristobal graradillo)
Prunus africana (African rosewood)
Pterocarpus santalinus (red sandalwood, redsanders)
Senna meridionalis (taraby)
Swietenia humilis (Pacific Coast mahogany)
Swietenia macrophylla (bigleaf mahogany)
Swietenia mahogani (Caribbean mahogany)
NOTICE
Effective January 2, 2017, the entire genus Dalbergia spp. (rosewoods) will be
CITES Appendix II except CITES Appendix I Dalbergia nigra (Brazilian rosewood).
NOTICE
Effective January 2, 2017, Guibourtia demeusei (red bubinga), Guibourtia
pellegriniana (rose bubinga), Guibourtia tessmannii (rose bubinga) will be CITES
Appendix II.
NOTICE
Effective January 2, 2017, Pterocarpus erinaceus will be CITES Appendix II.
Importation of CITES Timber Species
Procedures
12/2016-54 CITES Timber Species Manual 2-7
CITES Appendix III Species
The CITES Appendix III protected species are as follows:
Cedrela fissilis (Argentine cedar)
Cedrela lilloi (cedro)
Cedrela odorata (Spanish cedar)
Dalbergia calycina (through January 1, 2017)
Dalbergia cubilquitzensis (Guatemalan rosewood) (through January 1,
2017)
Dalbergia darienensis (through January 1, 2017)
Dalbergia glomerata (through January 1, 2017)
Dalbergia tucurensis (granadillo, Yucatan rosewood) (through January 1,
2017)
Dipteryx panamensis (almendro)
Fraxinus mandshurica (manchurian ash)
Magnolia liliifera var. obovata (magnolia)
Pinus koraiensis (Korean pine)
Podocarpus neriifolius (podocarp)
Quercus mongolica (mongolian oak)
Tetracentron sinense (tetracentron)